Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Cage's crate textures?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:07. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Since the CC4 texture pack includes some 'enhanced' textures improved over the originals (see the computer textures, like COMPSPAN), I was wondering if we could use the crates in Cage's texture pack, found here: http://www.realm667.com/index.php?o...d=29&Itemid=152

We'd obviously need permission, but I know he'd be cool with us using it and would certainly grant permission if we asked. The pack has all four crate colors. (gray, tan, green and brown)

Comparison:
http://i.imgur.com/dNmaf.png

I've packed together a WAD that replaces patches and flats with the appropriate naming. Here is the download for it: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/...cratetexcc4.zip

Also, all of the CRATWIDx texture definitions have been modified in this wad, to accommodate the less repetitive pattern for the wide crate textures.

I tested it ingame, and it looked quite nice in my opinion. :)
Just wanna see what you guys think.

Old Post 04-22-11 20:27 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mithran Denizen

The thing I don't like about the filthy versions is that the CRATOPx textures don't work with them very well.

Disregard that; the first time I tested it the flat replacements didn't show up for some reason.

I still think they're ugly as sin, though. If these replace the standard ones, it'll kill a lot of the contrast on the outdoor sections of my map. Not everything has to look filthy.

Last edited by Mithran Denizen on 04-22-11 at 23:43

Old Post 04-22-11 23:06 #
Mithran Denizen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

Pretty much what Mithran Denizen said. That filthy crate looks ugly.

Old Post 04-22-11 23:45 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

I like them, but they probably shouldn't be used at this late stage in the game to replace plainer textures, as the mappers can't all be expected to go through and screw with alignment to make full use of the included variations of each crate (different dirt/wear patterns), so it'd just look repetitious ingame.

Old Post 04-23-11 10:50 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Why replace? Just include the new textures with your name tag on them. You're allowed to do so. I love them, they have a fitting "Thy Flesh Consumed"/rusted look.

Last edited by printz on 04-23-11 at 12:52

Old Post 04-23-11 12:39 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Processingcontrol

They look cool, but there's no reason not to just use them in your map instead of forcing everybody else to use them. I don't think these texture replacements were a good idea in the first place; that switch one feels out of place for a doom map imo.

Old Post 04-24-11 03:27 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

printz said:
Why replace? Just include the new textures with your name tag on them.

This. If they fit in your map better than the original texture then just include them as separately rather than replacing.

Last edited by DeathevokatioN on 04-26-11 at 18:37

Old Post 04-26-11 18:27 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote