Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 map 2# - Deepholm [100% finished - sent to testers]
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:52. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Processingcontrol

Glad that this is finished, it looks like a great map!

It looks like E3 is basically finished; I sent my E3 map to TGH already, and 10 of the 12 slots are full.

Old Post 09-03-11 02:13 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Keeper of Jericho said:
I have sent the map to the testers now, and I'm waiting for their thoughts before I submit it.

If you don't mind, please send it to me as well :)
I'd like to FDA and playtest this map.

Old Post 09-03-11 08:17 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Keeper of Jericho

[WH]-Wilou84 said:

If you don't mind, please send it to me as well :)
I'd like to FDA and playtest this map.

Thanks, I've sent you the map. =)

Old Post 09-03-11 11:36 #
Keeper of Jericho is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hirogen2

“Live reporting from the playscene; I am standing next to Flynn and..*screech*”

In the starting room, one experiences a loss of orientation since there are four doors to different areas, all of them filled with monsters which outpower the simple shotgun one gets, or at least deplete the little ammo you have. One has to figure out that the southern door is the one with all the weapons. Speaking of weapons, I wonder if it is reasonable to put all weapons into one place (that's something big fight maps (HR), map30 or jokewads would do) rather than distributing them over the map, to be acquired over time.

Something else I noticed when booting the map was that prboom is quite costly with all the monsters - it bogs down and down with all the monsters in skill 3 and the more so on 4 (even if they are not awake) on the Intel Atom Ns they sell these days. zdoom (and gzdoom) cope with it just fine. ISTR that prboom however copes nicer with large maps, but that fact is a few years dated at least.

More to come..

Old Post 09-07-11 22:56 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Hirogen2 said:
Something else I noticed when booting the map was that prboom is quite costly with all the monsters

I can't even start the map with PrBoom, it throws me a "R_FlatNumForName:
SUPP308A not found" error window ( although cc4-tex.wad was loaded as well, of course ).

You sure you aren't using PrBoom-plus ?

Old Post 09-08-11 08:21 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Keeper of Jericho

It's weird because I did test my map with Prboom+ and with ZDoom, and I did not experience any problems in Prboom+ and slight lag in the final room for ZDoom.

In the starting room, one experiences a loss of orientation since there are four doors to different areas, all of them filled with monsters which outpower the simple shotgun one gets, or at least deplete the little ammo you have. One has to figure out that the southern door is the one with all the weapons. Speaking of weapons, I wonder if it is reasonable to put all weapons into one place (that's something big fight maps (HR), map30 or jokewads would do) rather than distributing them over the map, to be acquired over time.

Well, while it's true that one has to figure out south is the way to go for pistol start, this map is clearly an episode 3 map. If one played through CC4 from start to finish, he'd arrive in this map with probably a full arsenal and have no need for going south. It's the same reason why 4 (only 4, not all of them, BFG is only given at the end) of the weapons are south. It gives the player a chance to stock up in the rare case they do this from pistol start, allowing them to move on like intended. But again, when not in pistol start, south can be ignored altogether. So I don't feel this is a fault.

Something else I noticed when booting the map was that prboom is quite costly with all the monsters - it bogs down and down with all the monsters in skill 3 and the more so on 4 (even if they are not awake) on the Intel Atom Ns they sell these days. zdoom (and gzdoom) cope with it just fine. ISTR that prboom however copes nicer with large maps, but that fact is a few years dated at least.

EDIT: Never you mind, further playtesting revealed that I experience this slowdown, too. Removing the demon hordes in the final room seems to fix this problem at first glance. I'll playtest some more to make sure. I tried testing with prboom myself, but I can't start it in Doom Builder as he gives me an "W_Adfile: couldn't find +map.wad" Which I don't know how to solve. Starting the map just in Prboom without Doom Builder gives me the same "Couldn't find texture SUPP308A" error, which I also don't know how to solve.

Oh, and [WH]-Wilou84, I received your report and I'll reply as soon as I can, you gave me a couple of good ideas to further improve it. I figured how I'll do the imp fight, and crushers for the 4 Cyberdemons in the final room is a good idea.

Last edited by Keeper of Jericho on 09-08-11 at 17:31

Old Post 09-08-11 15:45 #
Keeper of Jericho is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MegaDoomer
Loser

@Keeper - Sent some early feedback. Would appreciate a response before continuing. :)

Old Post 09-09-11 01:18 #
MegaDoomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
I can't even start the map with PrBoom, it throws me a "R_FlatNumForName:
SUPP308A not found" error window ( although cc4-tex.wad was loaded as well, of course ).

Having taken a quick look (but having yet to play through the whole thing just yet,) I can tell you why that error happens. It's because sector 1829 (in my copy) has a wall texture on its ceiling. Wall textures and flats, as we know, are mutually exclusive outside of ZDoom. I'm certain it was intended to be SUP308AF instead of SUPP308A.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 09-14-11 02:28 #
The Green Herring is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Keeper of Jericho

TGH is right. I fixed that and managed to get it running in Prboom. At first glance I experience no slowdown, but I'll do a playtest when I get back from work. Sorry for this oversight!

Do I have to resend you the version for this, TGH, or will you fix this yourself? ^^"

Old Post 09-14-11 06:55 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

I will fix the bug myself. But you can fix it too, in case someone in the testing team wants a copy.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 09-15-11 01:25 #
The Green Herring is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

The Green Herring said:
[...]in case someone in the testing team wants a copy.

Well yeah, I still have massive framerate drops from the very first room of this map when playing with PrBoom-plus and would like to see if it's been fixed in v3. :)
( I believe it's a map-related problem as I can run 32 Inch Nails map 05 just fine ).

Old Post 10-01-11 13:25 #
jointritual
Mini-Member

Looking forward to this map...

Old Post 10-01-11 16:11 #
jointritual is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote