Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4 - Degrassi (100%)
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
eternal slumber

Layout/detail is finished, except some monster closets.
Gameplay is 25% finished/playtested.
Release date: November 15 or 16 :)

I'll add a half-assed attempt at difficulty settings if I have enough time. Keep in mind, the sr50 jumps only appear on UV (and even on UV, you can press a switch that makes the jumps easier).

Old Post 11-08-11 16:16 #
eternal slumber is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

All I did for cc3-28 was put in a load of extra spheres on lower skills levels. You can kill most anything with a ready supply of invulnerabilities and BFG ammo.

Old Post 11-08-11 19:13 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
eternal slumber

Gameplay is 66% finished/playtested. All that's left is to put monsters in the "NEW" area in the last screenshot and monsters in the mansion/museum finale.

Old Post 11-09-11 22:55 #
eternal slumber is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yellowmadness54

Looks great! I really can't wait for the finished result of this project!

Old Post 11-11-11 00:19 #
yellowmadness54 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
eternal slumber

Gameplay is almost 75% finished/playtested. I finished half of the "NEW" area last night and will finish the second half tonight. Then the mansion.

Playtesting the last areas has been/will be easier because you enter those areas with a megasphere and 600 cells, so I can just move the player 1 start instead of playing through the entire map just to get there. Plus the mansion will be spammy spammington with the BFG, where you can "cool off" and just kill shit without worrying too much about ammo, and there will be plenty of health since it's the last area.

Old Post 11-12-11 17:05 #
eternal slumber

I added monsters to the mansion last night and will playtest tonight. I'll do difficulty settings and try to record a max demo tomorrow , so the wad won't get sent out until the 16th because I only have internet at work.

http://timeofdeath.wrvids.com/doom/degrassi10.jpg
http://timeofdeath.wrvids.com/doom/degrassi11.jpg
http://timeofdeath.wrvids.com/doom/degrassi12.jpg
http://timeofdeath.wrvids.com/doom/degrassi13.jpg

Old Post 11-14-11 15:59 #
[WH]-Wilou84

On one hand I've always found your slaughtermaps really good, but on the other I think this may not fit in CC4 too well, for two reasons :

- You don't use any of the new CC4 textures. Not a big deal obviously, and of course using cc4-tex isn't mandatory, but on the matter of consistency I think you should consider using a few CC4 textures. I'm sure you could find some cool uses to them.

- The monster usage might be too strong for CC4, judging from the latest screens. :)
Unless you can talk to edoanimus and trade the MAP32 slot, there will probably be a huge difficulty gap between your map and all the others.

That being said, the map looks cool and frantic, as expected ;)
Can't wait to see that UV Max demo.

Old Post 11-14-11 19:17 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
eternal slumber

- The cc4 textures are cool, but I pretty much already had the map built before I even considered submitting the map to cc4. And at this point, I'd rather release it on its own instead of retexture it.

- I'm defo not going to change gameplay, so if TGH doesn't want this map in CC4, then no hard feelings and I'll release the map on its own. But I'm hoping it will be in CC4 :) Medium and easy will be much much different than UV (think of ninadobrev.wad).

Either way, thanks to CC4 for the motivation for me to finish this map.

Old Post 11-14-11 20:45 #
eternal slumber

Map is finished and sent to TGH and the testers just in case.

UV monsters: 2020
Med/Easy monsters: 320
Secrets: 49

Old Post 11-16-11 16:58 #
Hirogen2

http://jengelh.medozas.de/cc4/deg00.jpg I wonder why this door closes when it's just going to be opened again.
http://jengelh.medozas.de/cc4/deg02.jpg there is your HOM (if you want deep water effect, use linedef type 242 rather than the omitting-textures hack)
http://jengelh.medozas.de/cc4/deg06.jpg like Doom2 MAP32, this map cannot be completed beyond this point with -nomonsters
http://jengelh.medozas.de/cc4/deg07.jpg jump this distance requires either SR50 (not easy unless you use prboom's built-in cheat) or a rocket jump (works), but I'd prefer to just do a simple SR40 jump.
http://jengelh.medozas.de/cc4/deg10.jpg I sort of was stuck here, the metal bars did not open up.. probably just need to watch the demo again.

Best point: skill levels are readily implemented, and I believe players may pick a lower one than 4 [for non-speedruns], not for reason that 4 would be too hard, but because 4 takes so much time ;-)

Old Post 11-19-11 15:47 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

Hirogen2 said:

http://jengelh.medozas.de/cc4/deg10.jpg I sort of was stuck here, the metal bars did not open up.. probably just need to watch the demo again.

Yeah, it's not obvious at all : you have to shoot in the Arch-Vile closets for the bars to raise.

Old Post 11-19-11 16:04 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
eternal slumber

Thanks for pix :)

deg00 - I think I made the door close because the lowering floors have two tags, so I needed two linedefs. So I figured that players would see the switch and go towards it while walking over the two linedefs that make the floors lower, then the switch just opens the door that closes.

deg02 - I think HOM only appears in GL mode. I made this map limit-removing, not boom compatible, so I didn't want to use boom features.

deg06 - yes, that is unfortunate :(

deg07 - yes but only on UV. There is also a "SR50 SUX" room where you can change the sr50 jumps to sr40 jumps on UV and below. The room opens when you kill the keen (the room is in the dark area before the bfg door).

deg10 - the bars open by shooting the firelava texture that the archviles come out of, but I will change that

Wilou also sent some feedback, so I will make some changes. Thanks!

Old Post 11-19-11 16:05 #
eternal slumber

Hirogen2 said:
http://jengelh.medozas.de/cc4/deg07.jpg jump this distance requires either SR50

Sorry for the confusion with my previous comment. On medium/easy you can press this switch to turn sr50 jumps into sr40 jumps.

Old Post 11-19-11 17:30 #
RjY
anARCHy

That strafe50 jump is an easy one, you get a run-up and everything. I had more trouble with some of the stepping stones (up to the red door, over the lava in sector 284, and the floating candles past the yellow key door)

I don't really have much I can usefully report for this map. I don't recall noticing anything I'd call a bug. I lasted about a minute on UV, and I'm surprised I lasted that long. On HNTR I finished the map (with saves, but only a couple of deaths) with 100% kills, but still with much of the map apparently inaccessible, but I believe this is intentional.

My final time was something like 1 hour 20 minutes; it wasn't too difficult, but I got lost horribly and spent a lot of time searching empty areas. I think if I had one complaint, it's that it is too easy to get lost and what you have to do next at certain points isn't obvious. Stuff like pressing switches and having no idea what they did, etc.

It's a good map. I don't think it should be toned down even it is way above many players' level. It's just the author's style; anyone who's played more than one of his maps should know what they're letting themselves in for. :-)

Anyway, I will/should play it again, but I seem to have eleventy billion other CC4 maps to test, all of a sudden...

Oh, wait, I just remembered, why is sector 1533 secret? There's nothing on it except a candle, no trigger lines around it, you just have to jump on this random pole if you want 100% secrets.

Old Post 11-19-11 19:34 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
eternal slumber

I don't have a doom editor on my work computer, but I'm assuming sector 1533 is the post that the boat is attached to? Yes, most of the secrets are like that, just little acrobatic stuff with no reward except for triggering a secret. They seem to be a constant complaint. :) Thx for playing!

Which parts did you find really confusing?

Old Post 11-19-11 20:54 #
RjY
anARCHy

eternal slumber said:
Which parts did you find really confusing?
Having played it again I think the part that took the longest to figure out was sector 362. This is a door that starts off solid, because sector 635 is in front of it. But at some point, sector 635 gets out of the way. I managed to fail to spot this, and spent ages running around aimlessly.

The texture even changes, so it was probably my fault I missed it. One wood/metal door texture to another one covered in skulls. Shows how much attention I pay to this sort of thing...

Old Post 11-25-11 19:21 #
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

lols yeah that part, sorry about that. I dunno if I actually expected peeps to realize the texture changes. Maybe if the textures weren't both wood-flavoured.

I'm pretty sure all openable/switchable doors use the wood texture with skulls, and the other wood door texture is used if that linedef does nothing.

Old Post 11-25-11 19:40 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote