Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > CC4_MAP21 : Detachment (2)

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:14. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

While I'm doing some final* adjustments to MAP21 a couple questions/problems arose. The biggest one at the moment is:

I want to incorporate a skybox (4-sides, a top, and a bottom) in my level. How do I go about editing GLBDEFS when it doesn't technically exist in the current .wad? Do I just make one and put the code in it, or is it more involved than that? Also, how should I make the image itself? Do I just make the image as I normally would (assuming sections will be automagically cropped as needed for each face) or does the image need to be "pre-cropped" as if you took a paper cube and unfolded it?

I didn't include this in my other thread for my level, since it has disappeared from the current forum topics and into the land of old. Probably a sign that it shouldn't be bumped.

*Usage of the term "final" is relative.

Old Post 12-01-11 08:09 #
Shadow Dweller is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

I don't think you're allowed to include ZDoomy functionality like a GL skybox in your map. This project is to be fully compatible with all of the strong limit-removing Boom ports.

Old Post 12-01-11 08:25 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

Oh right, I saw someone else say they had one in their map, and I thought it could be done in PrBoom (nevermind, it was a zdoom effect after all). Oh well.

I'm also having a Self Referencing sector related issue. I was able to pull off the effect, but since I'm trying to make a Force-Field, I can't get the texture to actually disappear.

I've been using this as a reference. I've followed it exactly as far as sector placement and height, texture placement, switch action, and things of that nature. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be working.

Old Post 12-01-11 08:51 #
Shadow Dweller is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

esselfortium said:
I don't think you're allowed to include ZDoomy functionality like a GL skybox in your map. This project is to be fully compatible with all of the strong limit-removing Boom ports.
This is correct. Nothing that isn't compatible with strong limit-removing Boom ports such as PrBoom+ or the Eternity Engine is allowed, so skyboxes are right out.

In addition, the forcefield effect would be easier to pull off, and look better than the example WAD you posted, if you use Boom's height transfer effect. I could put together an example WAD if you want.

P.S. You could have bumped the old thread if you wanted.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 12-01-11 16:40 #
The Green Herring is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Well, here's an example WAD, anyway, along with a tutorial on how to recreate them assuming you're using Doom Builder:
  1. Build a sector inside the space you wish for the forcefield to go. Give it a unique tag.
  2. In the middle of this sector, draw the linedef that will represent the forcefield. Set a forcefield texture as its middle texture. If you're using a floor-moving action for this forcefield, set this linedef as Lower Unpegged. You may also want to set its linedef type as "Translucent" (type 260.)
  3. Select the two sectors created by drawing that linedef, and join them (J is the default key for this function.)
  4. Select the forcefield linedef and move the texture until it's underneath the floor (if you're using a floor-moving linedef) or above the ceiling (if you're using a ceiling-moving linedef). This is because height transfer effects do not affect midtextures for whatever reason.
  5. Raise the floor of this sector till it touches the ceiling (if you're moving the floor) or vice versa (if you're moving the ceiling.)
  6. Create a dummy sector outside the playable area with the exact same attributes as the space the forcefield sector is in. This will be the source sector for the height transfer effect.
  7. Select a linedef within this dummy sector, and set its action to "Create Fake Ceiling and Floor" (type 242.) Give this linedef the same tag as the forcefield sector.
  8. Create a switch linedef that will move the floor/ceiling (whichever one you're using) and tag it to the forcefield sector. For best results, use a generalized linedef that moves the floor "up" towards the "lowest adjacent floor," or the ceiling "down" towards the "highest adjacent ceiling." In both cases, the floor/ceiling will be moved instantly.
  9. Use the "Test Map" feature and see how it looks!
If you did all of this correctly, you should now have a translucent forcefield that's impervious to any attack, and must be deactivated through a switch the player must find. If so, congrats!

In the example WAD, #1 uses a floor-moving linedef, #2 uses a ceiling-moving linedef, and #3 is similar to #1 but is surrounded by posts sticking out of the ground. #3 also has a scrolling effect applied for it, although this is not usually necessary.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6650582/TGH_Forcefield.zip

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 12-01-11 18:07 #
The Green Herring is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

Works like a charm, Thanks!

Old Post 12-05-11 05:09 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

New question : Is it possible to make a door that triggers in multiplayer only? I tried it using off-map monsters and voodoo dolls tagged for multiplayer, but it didn't seem to work. Is there another way to do it or, in the words of the internet, am I just doing it wrong?

Old Post 12-08-11 22:36 #
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

You could use off-map multiplayer monsters that walk over the linedef action for the slow lifts (in plain doom2 format). Or join the door sector to a sector where the off-map monsters are and use the "door openclose also monsters" or whatever action on the off-map door.

Old Post 12-08-11 23:13 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

or maybe a multiplayer keen with doortag 666

Old Post 12-08-11 23:33 #
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

You could also have a blocking decoration object flagged multiplayer in some "master" voodoo doll sector that would allow a whole bunch of other voodoo dolls stuff to work (i.e., if that master voodoo doll wouldn't be blocked, it'd trigger some action that would block all the other voodoo dolls).

Old Post 12-08-11 23:40 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

I kind of ran into a slight aesthetics issue with a particular area of my map.

http://i43.tinypic.com/35layiw.png

Looking down from the stairs in the psudo-3D part of my map.

The highlighted area of the image seems empty and therefore looks dicky, in my opinion. I want to put some kind of ornament there but I don't know what. The width of the wall is 96, so I won't be able to use the UAC textures as they are. The theme of the map, for those that don't know, is kind of a techno-industrial base.

----

Also, thanks for the help on my previous question. I haven't yet got the door working as I've been preoccupied with the re-texturing process of my map. I do have some things that I want to try and if all else fails I have an idea (albeit a rather neanderthal one at best) that will work.

Old Post 02-27-12 10:30 #
Capellan
Forum Regular

The highlighted section looks OK to me, but if it is a real issue for you, maybe something jutting out at the top of the wall? A bit of reinforcing pipe, or a vent, or something like that.

Old Post 02-27-12 22:29 #
Capellan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Processingcontrol

Maybe you could put in a hanging computer screen?

Also, I think you should change the heights of those computer panels so that they don't cut the STAR textures in such a weird way.

Old Post 02-27-12 23:36 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkreaver

Does this mean you are still working on your map, and it isnt even submitted yet, or?

Old Post 02-28-12 00:05 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

It's submitted. It's been so for over a year now. I figured I would try to polish it up a bit while other people appear to be doing the same. If it's too late then I'll stop what I'm doing and whatever version TGH has will be the final version that's released.

Anyhow, this is what I came up with so far.

http://i44.tinypic.com/246771i.png

I was hoping I could once again reach into my bag of tricks and make the object appear to be centered in the center of the wall vertically, unfortunately that doesn't appear to be possible in this engine. Apparently me and DoomBuilder have two very different definitions of the phrase "create fake ceiling and floor".

Edit: I saw your suggestion regarding the computer panels, Processingcontrol. Fixing it now.

Last edited by Shadow Dweller on 02-28-12 at 06:35

Old Post 02-28-12 05:53 #
lupinx-Kassman

Shadow Dweller said:
I was hoping I could once again reach into my bag of tricks and make the object appear to be centered in the center of the wall vertically, unfortunately that doesn't appear to be possible in this engine. Apparently me and DoomBuilder have two very different definitions of the phrase "create fake ceiling and floor".

Assuming you are talking about the LITEMETW, perhaps you should consider making it a mid-texture, extended just a bit beyond the wall.

Old Post 02-28-12 06:56 #
lupinx-Kassman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

That's pretty much what I did the first time, but it looked weird when viewing it from below. Unless you mean only having the texture about a map pixel from the wall.

Old Post 02-28-12 07:13 #
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

You don't really need fake 3D to put a solid light in the middle of the upper wall, honestly. Try carving it up into the ceiling like the upper computer here.

Old Post 02-28-12 07:14 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

esselfortium said:
You don't really need fake 3D to put a solid light in the middle of the upper wall, honestly. Try carving it up into the ceiling like the upper computer here.

http://i40.tinypic.com/15zmk5x.png

Looks good, thanks for the help!

I'll have to change the texture around it to something more fitting though. STARDRK1 doesn't seem to suit the size and placement of the light.

Old Post 02-28-12 10:27 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

New question/issue : Is there a minimum size (length and width) that a destination sector has to be for a monster to teleport in?

Long story short I have a rising pillar as part of my collapsing floor effect in the Control Room. I'm trying to teleport an Arch-Vile to this pillar, but it's not working. All the linedefs, sector tags, and sector heights seem to be fine.

Old Post 02-29-12 00:09 #
Capellan
Forum Regular

I'm not aware of a minimum sector size, as long as there is a teleport destination there.

Are you trying to teleport the archvile in while the pillar is still rising? That could be your issue. Generally, S and W linedef tags won't work if the target sector is still executing another linedef's command.

Old Post 02-29-12 01:03 #
Capellan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

That could be it, but I figured with a WR line action (as I have it now) it should execute the command eventually once the platform stops moving.

Of course the way I have it set up, I believe that the pillar stops moving before the Arch-Vile is even released. I'll have to verify this, though.

Edit : Yes, the Arch-Vile is not released until the pillar has reached it's height. Still not teleporting, though.

Last edited by Shadow Dweller on 02-29-12 at 01:41

Old Post 02-29-12 01:19 #
Capellan
Forum Regular

Is the Archvile just not waking up?

Old Post 02-29-12 01:52 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

He wakes up and he passes over the teleport line. The line action is 126 - WR Teleport (Monsters Only) and the line is facing him, if that helps.

Old Post 02-29-12 02:25 #
Capellan
Forum Regular

I assume all your line/sector tags match up :)

The monsters only teleports don't need teleport destinations in the target sector, IIRC. Have you tried changing it to a standard teleporter line and adding the teleport desination Thing to the pillar sector, and seeing if that works?

Old Post 02-29-12 02:30 #
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

Just tried it with a regular WR - Teleport and it still didn't seem to work. I also tried crossing over the teleport line myself to see if it would at least teleport me, and it didn't do anything.

The weird thing is that I have other monster monster teleports set up almost the exact same way in the same area. The only differences are those are on sectors that move downwards and use a silent, monster-only, teleport with destination Things. Those all work fine, though.

Old Post 02-29-12 04:03 #
Phobus
Forum Staple

You always need a teleport destination Thing.

Otherwise, check to make sure your tags match up appropriately. As far as I'm aware space isn't an issue for teleporting the player, but monsters won't teleport if there's a blocking Thing on the destination (which makes Spider Masterminds very difficult to teleport into msot areas). Map geometry does play a part too, but I'm sure you can teleport something onto a pillar that it's too big for without issue.

Old Post 02-29-12 09:10 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

It's working now, and to be honest, I have no idea why. All I did was change the tag to another sector nearby, delete the teleport destination, place it back in that sector, test it, and then (seeing that it was successful) set everything back to where it was.

Now it works. Is it possible that everything was just done in the wrong order? Are you supposed to set the sector tags before placing the teleport destination?

Old Post 03-04-12 14:18 #
Phobus
Forum Staple

The order they are placed should be irrelevant. I think you probably made a minor mistake of some kind when setting out that teleporter which you then fixed when you redid it.

Old Post 03-04-12 14:24 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Dweller
Forum Regular

Probably, like having it set to appear on only easy difficulty or something. Either way, I'm just glad I don't have to fiddle around with it anymore.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Old Post 03-05-12 02:26 #