Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Community Chest 4 Compilation Progress / Changelog Thread
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
[WH]-Wilou84

I've begun replaying all the maps on skill levels 2, 3 and 4.
Here's what I've found so far ( maps 01 - 09 ) :

* MAP04: Polluted Paths by Forty-Two

- The TEKWALL2 textures along the stairs ( sectors 294 to 306 ) could benefit from some vertical texture alignment.
- The map lacks extra things for Multiplayer.

* MAP05: Installation Decrepit by Alice Jameson

- You can get stuck in the southeast corner of sector 140, and in sectors 166 and 189. Players usually hate inescapable pits. [Already covered in your changelog it seems]
- In sector 544, you shouldn't be able to see the sky, the building is supposed to be way taller than that ( and you're going upstairs ). Doesn't matter much though.

* MAP07: Hoedown by Phobus

- There might be a slight excess of ammo on easier skill levels.
I'd turn the two boxes of bullets which are next to the Blue keycard ( things 631 and 632 ) into simple ammo clips, but only for Easy skill.

* MAP08: Cold Reception by Mithran Denizen

- Secret sector 593 can only be opened once ( its triggers are W1 lines ). I'd change them to WR.
- There's still a slight texture bleeding effect near some frozen waterfalls ( sit on thing 241 ( a candle ) and look west towards sector 189 ). Seems all the sectors are properly closed though...

Old Post 07-10-12 08:43 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
* MAP08: Cold Reception by Mithran Denizen

- Secret sector 593 can only be opened once ( its triggers are W1 lines ). I'd change them to WR.
I complained about this in a test report but the author told me in a private message that I have sadly since deleted that it was intentional. However, after that he went back and put in another way you can trigger the secret if you miss it the first time...

Old Post 07-10-12 22:13 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

RjY said:
I complained about this in a test report but the author told me in a private message that I have sadly since deleted that it was intentional. However, after that he went back and put in another way you can trigger the secret if you miss it the first time...

Oh ok, fine then. :)
I haven't seen this guy lurking around for quite a long time, btw...

-----
(( * MAP09: Ochregerde by William Huber

- I'll send a new version of this map to TGH soon, with a bit more Shell ammo here and there, for UV Max comfort. I'll also look up some overlapping item problems pointed out by Crusader No Regret. ))

* MAP11: The Grotto by Christoph / Joshy

- Textures on linedefs 3469, 9106, 9182 and 9130 are misaligned. Same goes for linedefs 3047 and 3980.
- Vertical alignment on linedefs 11739 and 15307 could be better.

* MAP12: Nectar of the Gods by The Green Herring

- In Easy and Medium skills, there are two boxes of Shotgun shells near sector 623, very close to each other. Is it intentional ? There's already enough ammo in this area I think.

* MAP14: Downriver by Processingcontrol

- I'd mark linedefs 13664, 13668, 13673 etc. as "block monster", so that the Mancubi corpses don't float up there when you kill them with the Rocket Launcher.
- There's nothing of interest in sector 632 ( aside from an Arch-Vile in "Hard" skill levels ). I'd add something in this closet, ammo, health, whatever.
- In sector 2876, you shouldn't be able to see the sky, as there's a tall building right next to this area.
- Some secrets are _really_ obscure... Sector 538 is the prime example. Others are just frustrating to get in, like sector 2892. This may have an impact on speedrunning activity for this map.

Last edited by [WH]-Wilou84 on 07-11-12 at 15:20

Old Post 07-11-12 15:12 #
[WH]-Wilou84 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Very glad to see a release date coming up soon for this project! just got DooM working again on this new comp just recently.

Well can't wait for CC4!

Old Post 07-12-12 03:50 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

It's been long enough since my last progress report, so I've just added stuff for MAP04 and MAP05, MAP07-12, MAP14, and "Reaper's Digest." I also started an intermission track for this WAD, and if anyone wants to listen to it, I could show it to them when I'm done.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 07-13-12 06:34 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[WH]-Wilou84

The Green Herring said:
I also started an intermission track for this WAD, and if anyone wants to listen to it, I could show it to them when I'm done.

I'd be interested in listening to both the intermission tune and the new midi for map 12, don't hesitate to send them my way whenever you feel like it. :)

--------------

* MAP15: Decomposition by Lord Z

* MAP16: The Forgotten Base by Keeper of Jericho

- TGH shall be praised for the work he's done on the pole jumping sequences. :)
- The map lacks extra things for Multiplayer ( I'd add more monsters in the teleporting ambushes, as the map is quite well-suited for larger battles ).

* MAP17: Metastasize by Andy Leaver

- There's nothing in secret sector 2200 on easier skill levels. Same goes for sector 690 on the other side.

* MAP18: Suburbia by Jimmy91 / Mechadon

- I'd give linedefs 801 and 6252 the same action as linedef 809, so that you can't fall through the bridge ( sector 837 ) if you try to go on it from certain angles.

* MAP19: Technoprison by Joshy

- Even on "Easy" skill levels, the map is brutal. :)
I'd maybe add a Supercharge or a Berserk pack at the ending on "Easy" skill, before facing the two Viles.

* MAP20: Interstellar Sickness by lupinx-Kassman

- Texture alignment on some UAC door ( sector 229 ) seems weird to me ( the UAC logo isn't centered, on both sides ). I doubt it is intentional.
- For some reason, with PrBoom, the vertical alignment on these laser beams isn't good. However, within Doom Builder's 3D Mode, everything looks all right...

Old Post 07-13-12 22:22 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

I have added notes for "Decomposition," "Metastasize," "Suburbia," "Vulcana II," and "Spiritual Holocaust."

I will also give a reminder that the deadline for playtesting reports is July 18, 2012. After that, work will begin on getting the public beta put together, and it will be released the following week. Stay tuned!

Old Post 07-17-12 06:17 #
The Green Herring is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Capellan
Forum Regular

The Green Herring said:
work will begin on getting the public beta put together, and it will be released the following week

Awe. Some.

Old Post 07-17-12 06:48 #
Capellan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

:)

Old Post 07-17-12 07:34 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

The public beta will be when problems really come out of the woodwork - especially as testing in-house seems to be moving about as quickly as mapping did these days...

Old Post 07-17-12 10:49 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

[WH]-Wilou84 said:

* MAP17: Metastasize by Andy Leaver

- There's nothing in secret sector 2200 on easier skill levels. Same goes for sector 690 on the other side.

Whoops...I knew I forgot something... Sorry about that.

Old Post 07-18-12 06:42 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Does my map still needs work on gameplay? If so, I could do that. Got enough time to polish the map anyway.

Old Post 07-18-12 19:40 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

The only gameplay problem I had with the level was that the path to the yellow key and all the way up to the yellow door was rather boring, as there were no new enemies that entire time. I started work on adding monsters to that path, and so far, what I need to do is to add monsters to the path back. I haven't done this yet, as I have concentrated on other levels. If you really want to do this, I can send you what I have of the edited level so far.

Old Post 07-18-12 20:27 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Sure I'll work on the last part then, if thats ok with you of course. My email is in my profile. I should have done this in the first place.

Old Post 07-18-12 20:41 #
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

I have sent the file to you. It should be in your inbox now or soon.

Old Post 07-18-12 21:03 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Got it. How much time do I have left? It probably shouldn't take me very long though.

Old Post 07-18-12 21:29 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

dutch devil said:
Got it. How much time do I have left? It probably shouldn't take me very long though.

The Green Herring said (underlined for emphasis):
I will also give a reminder that the deadline for playtesting reports is July 18, 2012. After that, work will begin on getting the public beta put together, and it will be released the following week.
So you have until next week to do it.

Old Post 07-18-12 21:35 #
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

Just wanted to ask, by "next week" do you mean it'll be released by next Friday? Because I'm having a lan next Friday and it'd be awesome to co-op through these monster maps with friends.

Old Post 07-19-12 14:33 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkreaver

That would also provide useful co-op testing reports. If you find maps with super-game breaking stuff.

And that reminds me, I don`t think I have extra stuff for multiplayer in my map :S

Old Post 07-19-12 15:20 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

DeathevokatioN said:
Just wanted to ask, by "next week" do you mean it'll be released by next Friday? Because I'm having a lan next Friday and it'd be awesome to co-op through these monster maps with friends.
By next Friday, yes.

Also, the playtesting report deadline has passed. Now I will commence work on finishing up the plans outlined in the changelog, examining the concerns sent to me, and getting it ready for public beta release.

Last edited by The Green Herring on 07-19-12 at 17:33

Old Post 07-19-12 17:09 #
blob1024
Forum Regular

it will be cl9 wad, right?

Old Post 07-19-12 18:38 #
blob1024 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cannonball

The Green Herring said:
By next Friday, yes.

Also, the playtesting report deadline has passed. Now I will commence work on finishing up the plans outlined in the changelog, examining the concerns sent to me, and getting it ready for public beta release.

Excellent, I return home from London on Friday, I know what my weekend plans are now :)

Old Post 07-19-12 18:47 #
cannonball is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

blob1024 said:
it will be cl9 wad, right?
Seeing as this is a project for Boom-compatible source ports, yes.

Old Post 07-19-12 18:48 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Added traps on the way back to the yellow bars, damn this map is hard now. Should be finished this weekend, gotta do more playtesting. Looks nice with the white sky, cool paintings too :P Might move the sky textures around to make it look a bit better.

Old Post 07-19-12 19:16 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Updated the changelog with edits to "Polluted Paths," "Installation Decrepit," "Technoprison," "Interstellar Sickness," "Melting Universe II," and "Detachment." Also, the text screen content has been completed. Hooray!

Old Post 07-22-12 09:02 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Map is done, gameplay is nice and hard. Probably needs tweaking on health and ammo. Managed to beat the map on all skill levels, with some luck and lots of saving. Also redesigned some rooms, and some other misc stuff. Sending to your email now TGH.

Old Post 07-22-12 18:49 #
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

Oh, TGH, could I trouble you to make a few adjustments to Suburbia, per some feedback that st.alfonzo left me? These are just three minor points that he brought up but I neglected to act on them. Sorry. :(

• I feel as though the arch-vile behind red door sector [39] should be moved to its right near the switch, such that the player has more of an opportunity to find cover. If the monster attacks immediately from the door position it can feel unfair with there being no real opportunity to find somewhere to duck behind.
  • Providing a box of bullets prior to the encouter with revenant [561] would give the player an opportunity to keep the monster in its pain state. As it is, a player who is out of bullets or cells would be forced to use typically the ssg or shotgun, which given the narrow corridor = missile to the face!
  • It feels cheap being able to safely fist-smack the baddies through the bars in sector [1270]. Giving the monsters an opportunity to attack back or suspending all action until the room is entered would remove this problem.

Jimmy's Blog of Death - I make terrible posts here.

Old Post 07-22-12 18:54 #
Jimmy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

Sure thing, Jimmy.

Also, I got your e-mail, dutch devil, but it didn't have a file attached. Can you resend it, please?

Old Post 07-22-12 19:03 #
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Allready done :p

Old Post 07-22-12 19:08 #
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

I got it, thank you. Unfortunately, it seems my added ambushes were harder than intended, for the reason that I forgot to add important barrier sectors to two of the monster storage sectors, so two of those ambushes opened earlier than intended. There weren't supposed to be that many monsters after the red door. Sorry, pal.

Old Post 07-22-12 20:16 #