Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > Will there be a fifth installment?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Yeah, I'm just throwing it there. Is there enough interest for a fifth Community Chest? I wouldn't like to see one less Special Interest forum here...

Old Post 08-23-12 16:25 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Green Herring and I talked about it. Very, very briefly. He may have thought I was messing around. I'd like to see CC return to Doom compatibility. Perhaps after a resting period (of a year or so), but I'd definitely be interested in a more active role in CC5. It was tough for me since I had so much shit going on these past few years, and CC4 had some hurdles in the beginning too, but I felt like I left Green Herring in the wind. I suck.

Old Post 08-23-12 16:42 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Im sure it will happen eventually.

A few weeks should be time enough to wait.

Old Post 08-23-12 17:16 #
TheMionicDonut is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Yeah I disagree, but it could just be my preference, but upon seeing CC4 begin riding on the laurels of CC3, people ran out of steam quickly and the project hit a dead zone for several months. I think a year would give people time to thoroughly enjoy CC4, get some of their own mapping done (heh), and be primed and ready for the next one.

Old Post 08-23-12 17:28 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purist

I hope there is as I've yet to make my CC debut :-) All the better if it's a vanilla limits. Hopefully there will be less focus on huge maps next time.

Old Post 08-23-12 17:31 #
purist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Use3D said:
Yeah I disagree, but it could just be my preference, but upon seeing CC4 begin riding on the laurels of CC3, people ran out of steam quickly and the project hit a dead zone for several months. I think a year would give people time to thoroughly enjoy CC4, get some of their own mapping done (heh), and be primed and ready for the next one.

Im all for waiting a year or so (Id prefer 9 months personally, since that puts me and any other college person at summer break) The weeks comment was just saying that the wad hasnt been been out seven days and they are asking about a follow up.

I want to actually have something in CC5 D:

Old Post 08-23-12 18:09 #
TheMionicDonut is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Green Herring
Community Chest 4 Leader

I didn't think you were kidding, Use, but I was a little too busy at the time. I've discussed in the past waiting an extended period of time whether it's nine months or a year before starting it, as well as RjY's idea of having them all be short maps (the "Scythe Edition," as he put it). I support these, if they mean this WAD will not take four years to make.

I will also be more strict in picking out who leads the project alongside me, if that is to be the case. Part of the reason for the extended development of CC4, as Use implied in his last post, is because Death-Destiny, my former co-leader for the project, pressured me into starting it half a year earlier than intended, causing many of the plans being made at the time to be thrown out, and then disappeared less than half a year later thanks to his domineering behavior on another project. If I took a vice leader again, it would be someone with a spotless record or at least not just someone who wouldn't deliberately withhold important material from the other leader (as Death-Destiny had done on the other project), but someone incapable of deleting a vital sector from a level without noticing.

Get Community Chest 4 here!

Old Post 08-23-12 23:03 #
The Green Herring is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Well, the year has passed, maybe it's time? =) Just enforce some strict rule like "sign up for a slot, you have 6 months to finish a map, if you don't then you're out of the project and you're not allowed to try again" and this will be out in no time heh. 6 months is a super long period of time if you think about it, it should be enough for anyone passionate about the project.

Old Post 10-18-13 14:31 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

6 months really is a loooooong time. Even on the busiest schedules, a mapper that takes six months to make a map spent at least 120 of those days without the editor even open

Old Post 10-18-13 15:29 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

I'd love to contribute to CC5.
But I'm shit, so I won't :P Maybe CC6

Old Post 10-18-13 17:07 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Speaking for myself, I'm just now beginning to appreciate CC-4 as a mapper, even if I haven't released anything using its textures*. I just fool around, think they're neat, then get overwhelmed and go back to stock textures. The devil you know, I guess. :P

Although I am a big fan of their use in WADs that I download.

Speaking frankly, what would CC-5 even be comprised of? I guess you'd need some new subsections, like the GOTH* textures in the current iteration.

I agree with Use3D in this case. It would probably be better to let CC-4 mature before moving on. Let people start to see holes in the library which they fill with their own texture sets. Let a need arise organically, before foisting a whole new project on people.

*textures here denotes sidedefs and flats, obv. :p

Old Post 10-18-13 17:15 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Personally I'd prefer no "official" texture pack at all, for several reasons:

- it's difficult to work with a huge texture pack when you aren't going to use like 95% of it.
- telling people to gather the textures on their own would result in more visual variety in maps. Yes, people can still add their own textures with an official pack but they are less likely to do it when they already have a lot of textures to work with.
- I don't like a lot of stuff in cc4-tex so I wish people didn't use it...

Also I hope sky transfers will be allowed, imo there is no point in limiting the authors just to create some fake continuity that isn't real.

Old Post 10-19-13 00:52 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death Egg
Forum Regular

Still think it'd be cool to go for the Eternity Engine so that source port can finally get some love, or maybe UDMF to try and popularize that map format. (Or is it already being used a lot? I dunno)

Last edited by Death Egg on 10-19-13 at 06:47

Old Post 10-19-13 06:38 #
Death Egg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jayextee
Darth Jrrr

purist said:
I hope there is as I've yet to make my CC debut :-) All the better if it's a vanilla limits. Hopefully there will be less focus on huge maps next time.

Echoing this exact sentiment. I'd love to be involved.

Old Post 10-19-13 14:09 #
Jayextee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

Memfis said:
Also I hope sky transfers will be allowed, imo there is no point in limiting the authors just to create some fake continuity that isn't real.

Is it possible to put a sky transfer in your map without breaking vanilla compatibility? If you were to say, create a Doom 2 format level with a line with a sky texture on it tagged to the sky transfer special (242 I think it is?) Wouldn't that make the transfer special work when played in a boom compatible source port and not in a traditional Doom source port? Or does that just make Doom crash?

Also something I did for myself to prevent myself from getting reckless when working on UAC Ultra 2's textures, was to seperate all the textures into the episodes they belong in, and break em up into their own texture packs, one for each episode. So, continuing with the CC5: Scythe Edition example, there could be a gothic texture pack, an egyptian texture pack, a techbase texture pack, a garden base texture pack and a hell texture pack, and the mappers can choose which 'episode' they want to map for, and only get to use the textures in the IWAD and in that pack. It might reduce individuality but it would promote thematic coherency and prevent people from getting overwhelmed by all the cool textures they want to use.

Old Post 10-21-13 03:02 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

You know, that's quite a good idea. I'd be interested in this garden base pack myself. :)

So who gives the green light for this anyway? Should someone email TGH?

Old Post 10-21-13 04:27 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
D_GARG
Forum Regular

I tried the latest CCpack, though there is something that bugged me while I played it: the variation of style...

so will there be a CCpack with a certain style or theme to follow? for example, PSX style?

Old Post 10-21-13 12:55 #
D_GARG is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

CChest was the first community mapping project of the modern era. The CC series was "special" due to its uniqueness as the only project the entire community was focused on. However, nowadays, the landscape has changed; new community projects begin all the time. CC5 would be nothing more than Yet Another Doomworld Community Project, just one of a dozen others in concurrent development, competing for attention.

I realise it's a risky question but I think it must be asked: instead of a parade of endless sequels, would it not be better to leave the series with its reputation intact?

You could go really far back in time and count stuff like Memento Mori, indeed I seem to recall when CC1 came out it was hailed as effectively being MM3.

The more cynical reader might observe that "Let's do a community project" is the obvious way to avoid being the victim of the newproject tag.

Old Post 10-21-13 23:50 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

Well, you could set in a high threshold for quality of accepted maps and spend roughly 10 years with creation, that way it won't be just another community project.

Old Post 10-22-13 00:28 #
j4rio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

Let's just do something really stupid: CC5 for EE - make a challenge to race with the Vaporware team to force completion of one of these projects.

In all honesty, I actually have always viewed CC5 as the exact kind of project that should little-to-no limitations. It's the true community project in that it just gives you a few resources and says "go make a map and try to make something quality." I don't like the idea of a Scythe-style wad (holy shit I just said that) because it limits the options. Certain mappers are going to have trouble making certain kinds of maps and thus will back away from the project. It's exact opposite what the Community Chest series should be, IMO. If we can't put together a reasonably fun wad in a decent amount of time without castrating the true origins of the CC series, then maybe it's time to let it lie.

Though, to be fair, I'd rather not have that happen.

Old Post 10-22-13 05:18 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

As much as I'd like to see a major EE project happening, it'd probably be better to wait until its feature set isn't so much in flux, so it can be more fully taken advantage of and not just scare people off.

Old Post 10-22-13 13:41 #
esselfortium is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aleaver
Can't spll

Well I would love to see the CC series continue, however I will not be involved for the first time since the CC series started. lol someone else will have to do map 17 :P

But in all seriousness best of luck with your future endeavors everyone!

Old Post 11-01-13 07:25 #
Aleaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Considering what a lumbering beast development for 4 was (and 3, from what I saw) I'd say putting some kind of limits on would be good... BUT I honestly think that'd kill what CC always seems to be about. A load of guys making their idea of a "best map" with very little coherence in theme! I understand the very original idea was "let's get 32 mappers in, so we get some new names and some old hands" which sort of meant intentionally swinging for a mixed bag, but also meant exposure for new mappers and an inclusive development environment. This was how I tried to sell that final CC4 mapping drive, TBH ("Get your map in alongside such greats as Adam Windsor, Use3D and Dutch Devil!") and it arguably worked.

Saying that, I'd love to see one with a fully functional Eternity Engine or a community project that lets mappers cut loose with 3D floors in something like software ZDoom.

Old Post 11-05-13 23:20 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Personally I'd want to stick with Boom compatibility, but then again I'm a bit of an odd fish.
http://mike.mancubus.net/images/avatars/fish/madfish.gif

BTW, does anyone have some sort of direct contact with The Green Herring? I tried emailing him a while back and I never got an answer.

Old Post 11-05-13 23:28 #
Obsidian is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Seems to me that if you're changing the target platform from Boom to something else, then you could as well change the name. Also remember what happened to Linguica's attempt at steering the beast in a different direction.

So, if you want a community project for vanilla or EE or whatever else, do go on, but give it a different name.

Old Post 11-05-13 23:52 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

I'm in agreement with the Gezperson. CC's whole identity is "kickass Boom map conglomeration", and it'd be weird to deviate from it entirely and still keep the mainline number sequence going. Not particularly sold on the idea of artificial size/length limits as well, though mostly because I've no idea if I could ever produce a complete map under that size. D:

Old Post 11-06-13 00:19 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote