Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Community Chest 4 > question on map14 - downriver

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:17. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rrwoods
Mini-Member

First let me say this: CC4 is really awesome. Pretty difficult (I think anyway) but awesome. I almost never explicitly go secret-hunting, but I'm doing it on basically every map for this one.

So I'm in map 14 and I've found the exit but I'm secret hunting. I found the panel here. I don't want anyone to tell me what it is or what to do or the location of any secret. But it's exhibiting strange behavior and I just want to confirm that the behavior is correct. When I press use on the panel, there's a short (less than one second) delay before the panel opens. When it does open, I can hear the sound of a lift hitting it's endpoint repeatedly (kaCHUNK kaCHUNK kaCHUNK kaCHUNK) and it does not stop. I press use on the panel again, and there's that delay again, and then the panel closes and the noise stops.

Is this what's supposed to happen? Again, no hints please! Just tell me if there's something wrong.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've just figured out that

spoiler - highlight to read:

opening (not closing) the panel also lowers the nearby soul sphere
but I still don't know if the constant kaCHUNK-ing is a bug with my chosen source port.

Last edited by rrwoods on 05-02-13 at 07:24

Old Post 05-02-13 05:45 #
rrwoods is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

I looked at this map in the editor and it looks like this sound is supposed to happen. When you open that panel a crusher stars moving outside of the map and you can hear it. No idea what's the purpose of this, this map is full of weird shit lol. Maybe it's like a hint that something has moved (the soulsphere).
btw when you ask if there is something wrong with your chosen port, it helps if you specify which port you're using :)

Old Post 05-02-13 14:30 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rrwoods
Mini-Member

Memfis said:
I looked at this map in the editor and it looks like this sound is supposed to happen. When you open that panel a crusher stars moving outside of the map and you can hear it. No idea what's the purpose of this, this map is full of weird shit lol. Maybe it's like a hint that something has moved (the soulsphere).

Alright sweet, thanks. This map is definitely full of weird shit :-P

btw when you ask if there is something wrong with your chosen port, it helps if you specify which port you're using :)

Hah, true. It's GZDoom, latest(?) version. I figured if there was something amiss with that sound I'd say which port it was, but there you go :-)

Old Post 05-03-13 01:23 #
rrwoods is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Processingcontrol

I added the noises to give the immersion that sound was coming out of the area behind the open panel.

Seeing that screenshot makes me cringe at awful the texturing in that area. Actually, a lot of the level suffers from the fact that I didn't know a thing about good texturing back then. The worst example was how the green panels near the arachnotrons in the second room used to be pink, but someone (Snakes, I think) talked some sense into me and convinced me to change them. The level also has some terrible detail-for-the-sake-of-detail and new-textures-for-the-sake-of-new-textures that make me ask myself the hell I was thinking. Other than those things, I guess the map isn't too bad - there's some neat architecture, a delightfully stupid Easter egg (has anyone manged to find it?), and of course all that cool weird shit.

Old Post 05-03-13 03:42 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

Processingcontrol said:
new-textures-for-the-sake-of-new-textures

This is a problem with a lot of CC4 maps imo. Many mappers were overwhelmed by the huge assortment of textures and couldn't work out a clear and consistent design theme. In some cases this texture randomness kind of works, in others not so much. It might be a good idea to start CC5 without any texture packs and let people gather the resources on their own.

Old Post 05-04-13 18:08 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes
Forum Staple

Memfis said:

This is a problem with a lot of CC4 maps imo. Many mappers were overwhelmed by the huge assortment of textures and couldn't work out a clear and consistent design theme. In some cases this texture randomness kind of works, in others not so much. It might be a good idea to start CC5 without any texture packs and let people gather the resources on their own.

This is something that, I think, plagues almost any new mapper from the start. Heck, my early (unreleased) maps saw me going texture-happy with NB's recolor pack and what-not. Thankfully, I've learned to tone that down majorly. CC4 had that in a few spots, but I don't think it really stretched beyond a select number of maps.

And yes, processingcontrol, that was me that pointed the wacky pink textures out to you. Map14 does feel very slapdash in a lot spots, visually, but I felt that the use of a few 3D tricks, while gimmicky, nonetheless made it a quality play. If nothing else, it's a map that showed me how much could be done to trick the Doom engine into behaving a certain way. There's just some spots that gave me this reaction.

Old Post 05-04-13 21:45 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rrwoods
Mini-Member

Snakes said:a few 3D tricks

Oh yeah, I meant to ask: Are these tricks vanilla-compatible? In quite a few places I wondered just how down-and-dirty this map was getting to pull off its visuals, or if it was Boom-specific stuff.

Old Post 05-05-13 09:47 #