Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Homebrew Doom Boardgame

Doomkid said:

This is simply made of win.

When its complete, you should show it to ID. Honestly, it looks friggin awesome.

The first thing I thought is this is full of win. I never use that phrase, then I saw your post.

Its an awesome board game! A lot of variety from the look of the ever changing layout. You should be very proud.

Thanks, guys. I am proud! I just can't get anyone else to play it unless they come to my house...

Man Impie, this looks awesome!

Here's a thought: it would be slow and possibly not worth the effort, but would it be doable to play this game through messaging? Similar to how many people do chess through email. Maybe use pictures to show current progress so it's not too confusing, like you did for one game you played.

I suppose that we would all have to rely on the honor system, but why cheat on something like this?

I haven't looked at the rulebook yet, but from what I gather we can just assume that the mastermind will move every chance he gets, so who's turn it is shouldn't be too rough to manage.

Of course, managing multiple boards could get difficult; we may have to rely on whoever is the mastermind that game to do the pictures and keep the board.

Also, as I said, it would wind up being slower and stretching out much longer than in-person, but if it's possible with chess, it may be doable here. Of course, one game of chess also has a lot less moves than I'm guessing one map of this game will.

Anyway, idk who I could get to play this with me irl, most people I know would not want to play a board game that's too complicated, and rpg's fit that mold. Not to mention I can almost never get people to play Doom (most people my age are too spoiled off battlefield and call of dooty). Unfortuate for me, but cest la vie, lol.

Lol, I just thought of my signature, and any excuse is a good excuse to punch a baron, even if it's in a board game. ^^

*Edit*
One more thought, now that you have the game mostly designed (maybe working out a few things, but it's mostly there), you could consider teaming with a programmer on making this into a mobile game. Done like I mentioned before, so people can log in whenever and make their move at their leisure, so they won't be tied to their phone screen for 2 or more hours. Kinda like draw something and words with friends, maybe mixed with a doombuilder view-mode type of interface, where you could have multiple games going on to off-set the casual aspect of it. Though I think a 1 day timer would be a good idea for something like this.

I think that making it electronic and done over the internet might be a better way to go, as most of us probably do not live around many other doomers. Hell, I'd be willing to pay for that if you did make it into a mobile game (as long as it's on Android ;p ). 5 bucks, 10 bucks, shit, even 20 bucks would still be cheaper than driving myself to the hobby store and investing time into making a really sweet game that only I will play, lol. Though others may not look at the pricing the same.

NECRO-BUMP!

I'm taking a break from my exhaustive writing activities to touch this game up again, and decided to try to make it as accessible as possible. The previous version requires a LOT of prep work for a print and play game, and the rules and mechanics were convoluted. So I've simplified some things and produced new map sectors that are more visually interesting and allow for far more diverse map designs.

3SoLiau.jpg

dyPRjuJ.jpg

EiKWEuZ.jpg

j4OaCYc.jpg

Also, the latest version includes male and female marine sheets.

RnlRgtG.jpg

I'll be uploading the new rules and components later tonight, but there aren't any mission packs for them yet. I dunno when I'll get that started, but if other people come up with their own I'd love to see them.

EDIT: Just updated the rules and components, and added an untested starter mission "Thicker Than Water". If anyone tries it out, do share a play by play here.

Edited by Impie

Still trekking in my unending quest to simplify the rules and make the game less convoluted. Totally overhauled the mechanics and made the combat a bit more akin to space hulk. Haven't tested yet because it's past my bedtime.

For example:

Ranged Combat. Weapons give you a set number of dice to roll in attack. You hit on a 6; if you keep shooting the same target without interruption, you get "sustained fire" bonus and hit on a 5 or 6. Monsters don't roll defense: if you hit, you wound them. You start with max ammo for whatever weapon you're wielding and tick off one box per shot until you're out, so there's no worry about players having guns but no ammo...at first, anyway.

Close Combat. Doomer and Monster each roll dice for Brawling: Doomer rolls 1 die by default, monster rolls whatever its Brawl stat is and chooses the highest result. Whoever rolls higher deals a wound to the loser. In other words, close combat with demons is best avoided unless you have sufficient armaments.

Heavy Weapons. Roll dice and subtract your shooting skill. If the result is 0 or less, you hit where you aimed and everything in the blast radius dies. If not, Mastermind fucks up your shot and you deal less damage, and/or possibly hit your comrades.

Also uploaded a new test mission based on the test mission of Version 1. Plus new unique map sectors. I'm using the map itself for most of the mission info, leaving the Mastermind to embellish the details.

As a tabletop gamer myself seeing this makes me incredibly excited! When you're done refining the rules I'll have to see if my friends will be willing to partake in a game of this fro time to time!

Keep up the amazing work @Impie

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

As a tabletop gamer myself seeing this makes me incredibly excited! When you're done refining the rules I'll have to see if my friends will be willing to partake in a game of this fro time to time!

Keep up the amazing work @Impie

Thanks Dragonfly! The rules and mechanics keep changing drastically, so who knows if it'll ever be finished.

Hey Impie! That's incredibly cool that you're continuing developing this awesome game!
I know I promised to have some battle log pictures, but I haven't been able to get people together for another game, sooo...
Here are instead the sheets I made using your resources (as well as the female marine mug from Hideous Destructor and a couple I made from scratch)

doom-parts - DoomguyandTheTraveler.jpg

doom-parts - DoomgalandJunoRadcliffe.jpg

doom-parts - SophiaandClarence.jpg

^ Dude those are awesome! If you send me your faces I can add them to the base game, since I changed the Doomer sheet designs and such. Also if you happen to have a good black male face that'd be handy, 'cos I have a black female face and no one to pair her with.

Version 7 is officially the first proper release, I'm happy to announce. I renovated the rules and mechanics, and last nights playtest went buttery smooth. It's not perfect, but I think i can say with confidence that people can print this up and have a good time with it.

Edited by Impie

Awesome. Can you tell me what materials you used to print this with (outside of paper, of course). I noticed some kind of foam board used for the terrain, is that cheap to get? I also assume it was spray mounted.

30 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Awesome. Can you tell me what materials you used to print this with (outside of paper, of course). I noticed some kind of foam board used for the terrain, is that cheap to get? I also assume it was spray mounted.

I used cheap foamcore, and double-sided tape to apply the decals. I recommend printing everything on cardstock, but paper works okay. It's not as durable, but usually easier on the printer when printing en masse. If yiou use cardstock, all you need is a strip of double-sided scotch tape to stick it on and it'll always lay flat.

If you can't get good foamcore or have trouble cutting it (you'll need a good scalpel, cutting at a consistent 45 degree angle), standard cardboard should work just fine. As long as the elevation is obvious.

Great big update. I was inspired to go ahead and make some expansions, against my better judgment, and ended up with a slew of new crap for this system for you to play around with -- ALL of it untested so far.

Hell On Earth Expansion Pack. Adds new Doomer faces (thanks RustBot!) and the Doom 2 bestiary, along with new monster abilities.

Raven Expansion Pack. Adds a slew of Heretic and Hexen resources. Tons of beasts, undead, and wizards. New furniture, big and small. New monster abilities, including a spell attack chart. New encounters and bonus objectives. Even a new mission pack, the Manse Macabre, with which to test-fire all this crap. The cool thing about this one is you can mix sci-fi and medieval stuff: missions involving time travel or steampunk or whatever.

Chex Quest Expansion Pack. A collection of pieces and cards that are Chex Quest themed, if your kids are too squeamish with the other stuff.

Edited by Impie