Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nathan92

Doom redesigns v2

In all honesty though, the Cyberdemon's eyes in his original design are even more spread apart than what I have. The vacant stare is what I find unsettling about goats, and there's also the association with evil that Goats have had in art and religious cultures. I'm going to try and make him look less dim than the average goatface, so if there's any suggestions you have on that, jump right in!

Mountain Goats have a bit more of a stature and presence than farm goats, I'll be likely drawing inspiration from them in addition.

Oh, and here's the rough designs for the Cacodemons and Pain Elementals.

Here's an initial sketch my brother came up with, combining the mouths of Bulldogs among other things. Like the imp, we gave it a crown of thorns type protrusion, though more exaggerated and pronounced.

Here's the same thing, but with more of those strange vine-like growths on the bottom.

I'm liking how they're coming along finally.

The Pain Elementals are a bit tougher, as I don't want them to look too much like the Cacodemons. I think getting rid of the eye and making it more fish-like will be interesting. Looked at gulper/pelican eels, and filled its mouth with skulls. Not sold on the arms yet though, as those little goofy muscular arms in the original design have got to go.

Caco and Pain are great!
Love the Arachnotrons and Pinky as well.
Although, I really must say, the Cybie looks a little too goatlike.
A goat shaped head is great, but it's too much of an exact copy of the animal's face.
I feel the snout should be shorter, and the eyes need to be a little more menacing.
He's just too... dumb looking I guess? And I don't mean your art is dumb, I mean that as a character/personality, I'd imagine him being stupid.

raymoohawk said:

i have to agree with the above post

Me three.

The execution of eyes has a lot to do with how they're carried out in 3D (particles, FX, cavities). there's something about the original 2D Cybo's face that none of the many many 3D versions have managed to convey. I'd reccommend taking a long hard look at the original Adrian Carmack sprites of cyberdemon, perhaps you can find the right constellation for his face. Also, your cybo sketch looks down on cybo, from the player's perspective. I'd try for a below FP view, since size difference should be great regardless of build, no?

Great floaters!

The Civ said:

Caco and Pain are great!
Love the Arachnotrons and Pinky as well.
Although, I really must say, the Cybie looks a little too goatlike.
A goat shaped head is great, but it's too much of an exact copy of the animal's face.
I feel the snout should be shorter, and the eyes need to be a little more menacing.
He's just too... dumb looking I guess? And I don't mean your art is dumb, I mean that as a character/personality, I'd imagine him being stupid.

Thanks a bunch!

I must admit that the total front view doesn't too him any favors, though I definitely want him more goatlike than the original. It might have to do with how his mouth looks too agape.

Anyway, before I try some other head ideas, I just wanted to show what the head would look like on the entire body, see what you guys think first.

Also did up the Arch-Vile's basic design and tightened up the Baron.

Playing off of Nun hoods made out of excess skin for her/it. Ignore her ballerina feet at the moment, not set on those.

I'm not totally set on the Baron's pose yet, but I think his ensemble is coming together...

Also, finally got to sketching out some ideas for the Revenant.I'm set on the pose, and Armor variations are described in the picture. What do you guys prefer? Is there a combo of any of them you'd like to see? Or completely new ideas? I'm open to anything at this point, though I'm leaning most toward the 'Overtly Sci-Fi' one at the moment.

Nathan92 said:

What do you guys prefer?

How about the organic/biomechanical on his right, and knight-like on his left, perhaps overtly sci-fying it in details?

This way you incorporate many of the (very cool) armor designs, AND explain why his weight is shifted.

I'll try that out!

I also had the idea of making (his) right cannon the only missile launcher, and the left shoulder being some sort of loading mechanism for the missiles... Because he'd run out of ammunition in just a few shots otherwise. The thing is, missiles seem to be loaded manually in most military cases, should it be a belt of rockets hanging off his shoulder or would that look too goofy?

First of all, your drawing skills are great. I once tried to redesign some enemies but i quit since i basically suck at drawing things.
Zombies: I cant say too much because they need more detail, but the poses are well done specially the shotgunner, his stance doesn't looks like something he learned in the boot camp and it gives the right impression that he is possessed.

Imp: The growths and blasphemous crown are very original stuff, you could try give him a horizontal shaped mouth like the alien grunt from Half-Life.

Pinky: Just great, those BFH (heh) adds an aura of invincibility.

Mancubus: That disturbing smiling face gives a sense of gluttony and perversion, which is not something seen in any Doom. I mean look at the Doom 2/Doom 64/Doom 4 fatsos, they all have a ferocious expression (In Doom 3 he doesn't even have a mouth).

Baron: Standing ovation for this one, the pope hat head and the robe made of skin make him look very "unholy".

Hellknight: The second drawing is awesome, but he needs a more aggressive mouth.

Meatballs: They are both hideous and grotesque, awesome.

It would interesting if you can make a Baron of Hell/Archvile variant with this guy's head: (From the HD texture pack for D1 and D2)

I wouldn't worry about the logistics of his rockets (maybe his rocketlauncher has been "blessed" by hell, complete with a mini-portal to some endless armory).

A belt of rockets or grenades could like cool nonetheless - might differentiate him a bit - even with the slouch he's the closest to the Doom 3/4 versions of Revenant.

The original creature's missile looks more like an occult "mini-meteor" than anything conventional...

I like what you've got going with the arch vile- I would make the skin behind her hips stretch out to give her a more feminine look complementing the hood she's got made from her own flesh.

Winged_Warrior said:

First of all, your drawing skills are great. I once tried to redesign some enemies but i quit since i basically suck at drawing things.
Zombies: I cant say too much because they need more detail, but the poses are well done specially the shotgunner, his stance doesn't looks like something he learned in the boot camp and it gives the right impression that he is possessed.

Imp: The growths and blasphemous crown are very original stuff, you could try give him a horizontal shaped mouth like the alien grunt from Half-Life.

Pinky: Just great, those BFH (heh) adds an aura of invincibility.

Mancubus: That disturbing smiling face gives a sense of gluttony and perversion, which is not something seen in any Doom. I mean look at the Doom 2/Doom 64/Doom 4 fatsos, they all have a ferocious expression (In Doom 3 he doesn't even have a mouth).

Baron: Standing ovation for this one, the pope hat head and the robe made of skin make him look very "unholy".

Hellknight: The second drawing is awesome, but he needs a more aggressive mouth.

Meatballs: They are both hideous and grotesque, awesome.

It would interesting if you can make a Baron of Hell/Archvile variant with this guy's head: (From the HD texture pack for D1 and D2)

Thanks for the kind words and input! Definitely trying to narrow in on the Imp as of late, so thanks for the suggestions!

VGames said:

What are these designs for? I seem to have missed that.

Mostly just a personal project/portfolio piece, been a big fan of the Doom games for a while and even though I love the original designs, thought I'd try to tackle redesigning them all for fun.

nxGangrel said:

You gotta make sprites outta these cause they look totally awesome!

Thanks! That'd be fun, I'd love to try out pixel work sometime in the future!

Soundblock said:

I wouldn't worry about the logistics of his rockets (maybe his rocketlauncher has been "blessed" by hell, complete with a mini-portal to some endless armory).

A belt of rockets or grenades could like cool nonetheless - might differentiate him a bit - even with the slouch he's the closest to the Doom 3/4 versions of Revenant.

The original creature's missile looks more like an occult "mini-meteor" than anything conventional...

Yeah, that's a cool thought. I'll see what I can come up with!

raymoohawk said:

that baron is looking really cool, well the outfit also be made of flesh growths? cause thatd be rad

Thanks! Yes, that's the plan anyway! :)

Shapeless said:

I like what you've got going with the arch vile- I would make the skin behind her hips stretch out to give her a more feminine look complementing the hood she's got made from her own flesh.

Thanks! Definitely going to be elaborating on her/its design, so thanks for the input!

I actually really like the new cybie picture. He's got this skinny goat body and his dopey expression with the mouth slightly open, so it would almost seem funny if it weren't for the scary missile launcher embedded in his system. Kinda makes you step back and think, "oh god, what's he going to do with that?"

Krispy said:

I actually really like the new cybie picture. He's got this skinny goat body and his dopey expression with the mouth slightly open, so it would almost seem funny if it weren't for the scary missile launcher embedded in his system. Kinda makes you step back and think, "oh god, what's he going to do with that?"

I'm going to be tweaking his face here and there, but I generally do like how it's coming along in that full-body piece on this page. Anyone else have any thoughts on 'im?

Also, thought I'd add more detail and finalize the Zombies' designs before I go further with the others.

Another sketch of the Hellknight. Liking the pose finally!

Lastly, I tried the rocket belt idea and I do like it, gives off a 'crusader' feeling somehow.

Thanks Soundblock!

Here's another stab at the Cyberdemon. Still a little more lean than the original sprite, but more imposing than my first idea. Also, I think the redesigned head is a bit more unique and creepy than the first as well. I think he's finally coming together! Oh, and as far as the original sprite being in there goes, I know you guys know what he looks like. ;)

I just posted it elsewhere and needed to put in the comparison for context.

Also added more detail to the Mancubi. I haven't elaborated on its guns yet, but I'll probably do something akin to what I did for Cybie's rocket arm; biomechanical in nature.

Also started on some ideas for the Lost Souls. Maybe they can look like burn victims? It's not quite eerie enough, and while I like Doom 3's approach, I don't want them to have any mechanical bits either. I do want to research charred/burnt skin, but I do want something otherworldly about it other than the fact that it's a floating head.

Lastly, did another design for the Imp's face. Liking it so far! I want them to look on the not-too-bright side, almost like mindless cannon fodder.

Oh, and Shapeless,the more I think about it, I'm not exactly sure what you mean for the Arch-Vile. Do you mean make her hips more feminine and wider? Or do something with her excess skin relating to her hips? I'm open to anything, just wondering is all. Even if you want to draw a quick drawing over mine(doesn't matter how good it looks) that might better explain it. Because I like what you're saying, but don't know exactly what you're saying, if that makes any sense, haha.

New imp face looks creepy as hell. Keep pronouncing the growths, they look great so far (retains original reference but is also new).

Lost Soul options:
- charred black skin, intact over skull. Maybe just fiery eyes/mouth with almost invisible flames (like an inverse of The Mummy cover).
- charred black skin becoming red to exposed over bare bones skull protrusions, like eyebrows, chin, cheekbones.
- horns? (the first Lost Soul iteration from id had horns, but they normalised it before release)
- steel skull?

Think you'll eventually need color to get this guy done to satisfaction. No telling how it would turn out with particle systems, etc.

Thanks for posting your cool art.

Soundblock said:

New imp face looks creepy as hell. Keep pronouncing the growths, they look great so far (retains original reference but is also new).

Lost Soul options:
- charred black skin, intact over skull. Maybe just fiery eyes/mouth with almost invisible flames (like an inverse of The Mummy cover).
- charred black skin becoming red to exposed over bare bones skull protrusions, like eyebrows, chin, cheekbones.
- horns? (the first Lost Soul iteration from id had horns, but they normalised it before release)
- steel skull?

Think you'll eventually need color to get this guy done to satisfaction. No telling how it would turn out with particle systems, etc.

Thanks for posting your cool art.

Glad to hear and will do!

I tried something out for the Lost Souls, maybe by making the smoke more billowy, but also almost molten-looking by having it drip magma and embers. A friend suggested having only just very little of its face show, to go off of the 'what you don't see is the most terrifying' route.

I also had another idea for the Arch-Vile. Even if it goes against its design fairly drastically (the exposed ribs and spinal column) having her pregnant might be really creepy. For one, the fact that she's inspired by nuns and having her pregnant makes that imagery all the more sinister, but also had the idea that she ressurects the other demons by 'giving birth' to them. Once out of the womb, they could grow extremely quickly, and AV retains her skinny-ness when this happens... I could explore this in some supplemental illustrations when I'm done. The only thing is that the concept is disturbing, but it makes her look less threatening, which as the most inherently evil thing in the game, is a bit of a concern.

Oh, and I do have some more stuff for the Spider Mastermind finally, will get to posting that soon.

Man - This artwork is simply sick! The Caco is just so... Souless and creepy. The Baron - flat out awesome! The Manc's face - Oh man that gave me a good laugh. He just looks like some doofus of a demon that doesn't know any better..

These are fantastic :)

Very nice! They're all quite awesome. I have to say that the Baron design blew me away - there's something very creepy about him. Does he float? He kinda looks like he might (which would be sweet).

Doomkid said:

Man - This artwork is simply sick! The Caco is just so... Souless and creepy. The Baron - flat out awesome! The Manc's face - Oh man that gave me a good laugh. He just looks like some doofus of a demon that doesn't know any better..

These are fantastic :)

Thanks a bunch! Ha, that's kind of how I imagine them, the dumb, but really hefty and robust tanks of the group. Another user said the perverted grin gives off a kind of gluttonous feeling, which is something I was aiming for.

kb1 said:

Very nice! They're all quite awesome. I have to say that the Baron design blew me away - there's something very creepy about him. Does he float? He kinda looks like he might (which would be sweet).

Thanks! He's among my favorites so far! I want to give him a towering look that, coupled with his cloak, almost looks like he could float just above the floor, even if he actually doesn't. Almost like an unnatural glide.

Anyway, on that note, here's an updated, more tightened up version of the Baron's sketch.

and as promised, here's some more stuff for the Mastermind. I want her gun to be under her body, on some sort of swivel system. I also have a shield as part of it that protects a big sac where the Arachnotrons are born, mechanical bits and all, as it's Hell, so anything can happen. I tried making her upper body more like a crab's, with a sort of implied crown forming part of the brain structure. Still need to elaborate on the actual design of the legs. I don't want them spindly, but probably pretty bulky in order to be able to hold all its weight. I'm liking the face, but still, any suggestions are welcome!

EDIT:: went with really low, bulky legs.

Love the Lost Soul approach, less is def more, if you can/could control the particle system down to that level.

Would be cool if the Spider Mastermind was thin and spindly while in fast movement-mode, but quickly bulked up for defense when in firing mode.

I'm doing 3d models of all the Doom monsters. Will probably be making new sprites with them. I'll use your some of your concepts to do some of them if you'd like to collaborate.

Here's my mancubus so far. This isn't based on your concept.

Spoiler

Your baron design.
Spoiler

Soundblock said:

Love the Lost Soul approach, less is def more, if you can/could control the particle system down to that level.

Would be cool if the Spider Mastermind was thin and spindly while in fast movement-mode, but quickly bulked up for defense when in firing mode.

Thanks! I'll definitely be messing around with SM's design more.

peoplethought said:

I'm doing 3d models of all the Doom monsters. Will probably be making new sprites with them. I'll use your some of your concepts to do some of them if you'd like to collaborate.

Here's my mancubus so far. This isn't based on your concept.

Your baron design.

These are looking sweet so far! My project is more just a concept art/illustration project, but if you'd like to go ahead and use any of them, I'm all for it!

I guess that's all I'm really looking for. Your permission to use them as concepts. I might not even use them for anything but if I do I'll give you credit. I'm really just practicing my modeling skills.