Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katarhyne

Post your FPS here

SYSTEMatic said:

P4 2.26Ghz/533mhz fsb. 512Mb SDRAM, ATi Radeon AIW 8500.
I ran the game at 30FPS, hitting 25FPS during gun fights. I also have the released patch that improves FPS. I ran the game in 1024x768 res, highquality mode. I also made a video of it (160mb) and am looking for a place to up it. Here's a screen I took, while playing.

[Deleted by mod - don't you fucking read the rules? Next time it's a ban]

Heh...

Well, I don't even want/try start it.... :P
My specs:
athlon 650mhz
64mb sdram133 (2xxmb atm, because I loan some of a friend)
tnt2 m64 32mb
(yes, I know, it is teh greaste system ever... :P)

Torn said:

Heh...

Well, I don't even want/try start it.... :P
My specs:
athlon 650mhz
64mb sdram133 (2xxmb atm, because I loan some of a friend)
tnt2 m64 32mb
(yes, I know, it is teh greaste system ever... :P)

I'm so superior to your system. :) I still feel like my system is a little on the slow side. I'm going to add some ram and possibly the 9700 card.

5 fps. (0 in close combat, and an average of around 1-2).

PIII 450
GF4 Ti 4400
384MB SDRAM

Spent most of the day messing with the config file to speed it up, but with no success. I'm going to get a motherboard with a P4 2.4GHz and 512MB RDRAM.

This isnt really a fair test of the hardware. To properly put it through its paces you should run it over a range of different terrains, for example play a demo and get the total fps over the demo playback ("timedemo")

Katarhyne said:

Do yourself a favor and don't get RDRAM. Just trust me.

err why? I'd get the RDRAM.

Expert, I mean Katarhyne, please tell me what I need to upgrade to get Doom III to run smooth as hell.
I'd like you to tell me what I need to buy instead of my hardware too.

I have the following:
- Pentium IV 1500 MHZ
- 256 MB RAM
- GeForce 2 MX400

I get between 1 and 15 fps playing the e3/e3_* maps, which I attribute to my shit CPU and low RAM. The box room empty.map is capped at 60fps most of the time though - which is great. Load up empty.map, spawn_monster_zombie_commando and let yourself be whipped =)

I've got a Pentium III 900Mhz, 256MB RAM and a GeForce4 ti4200 64MB

Disorder, I know relatively little about P4s so I asked my brother over AIM for you, and he replied:

"heh the first thing he should do is check his cpu to see if it is 423 or 478 pins cuz if it's 423 pins he might as well get a new mobo but if it's 478 then he can just drop a 2.8Ghz chip in there and be good to go most likely"

"he didn't say if his mem is ddr, sdr, or rdr, if its rdr (haha) then he is pretty much fucked, just upgrade it as best he can cuz that shit's hard to find except online, if it's ddr then he should get gobs of bad-ass ddr memory and if it is sdr memory then he should just fucking give up all hope of making his system into a gaming system"

"cuz you know sdr + p4 == shit"

"and of course that gf2mx has got to go, asap, I'd say go for an nvidia card but that's just me yknow, heh, either get a 4600 or wait for the nv30" <I personally would say wait for the NV30 and then get a 9700 Pro, but then, that's just me>

<cut out some stuff here, we talked about some other stuff, and then he was apparently still thinking about it>

"well you know if it's a dell then we can hook him up phat cuz well yeah heheh, it sounds a lot like a sleestak <Dimension 8100>...sleestaks were p4ws <423-pin> so he might as well just buy a new system cuz 423-pin + rdram == zero upgradability"

So there you have it. This from the guy who currently runs a >3Ghz P4 and a Ti4600 that hits clockspeeds higher than most of your CPUs.

Man, that story makes me sad.
It means that I'm pretty much gonna have to rob a bank to be able to buy all that.

Oh, nah. It's not so bad. My brother and I did a little research, and, assuming you've got a Socket478 system, you could drop a P4 2Ghz and a Geforce 3 Ti500 64MB (or a 128MB Radeon 8500LE, similarly fast with double the memory) into your system with relatively little difficulty and only about $250US, including shipping.

Of course, if your system is based on SDR memory, there's not much point - SDR P4 systems are so slow, it's kind of ridiculous. Note that when I say SDR I'm not talking about all forms of SDRAM (since "DDR" is actually DDR SDRAM), but specifically PC133 SDRAM. If you've got DDR or RDRAM, 256MB is alright for now, and you should be able to drop another 256MB or 512MB stick in there later for a big extra boost.

Where can I find all of this detailed information about my pc?
I've tried it in XP, but all it gives me is simple, basic information.

I'm getting between 62-64fps on highquality at start of e3_1

specs:

CPU Type & model, actual clock speed
P4 2.4b @ 2.8Ghz

Motherboard chipset & frontside bus speed, memory configuration
SIS 648, 4x155Mhz FSB, 512Mb DDR400 at 2:2:3

Video card chipset & local memory, overclocking if any
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB, 325/310Mhz (620Mhz) with 6200 driver
also directx 8.2 final.

peace

I get 5-7 when just walking around (20 when I'm facing a wall :) and 1 to 0 when there are monsters close by. Definately 0 when the blood starts flying.

Athlon 600
384MB PC100 SDRAM
GeForce4 MX 420

God damnit.

It's okay though, I'm saving my money now so that I'll be able to buy a sweet system a month or so before Doom comes out. Atleast, >3Ghz, 512 DDR, and NV30.

I have a T-Bird 1.2 GHrz
512 Ram (just bought an extra 256, make a huge difference)
Gforce 2 mx 400 (still waiting for the NV30, but today I allmost bought the 9700, but could restrain myself)

old situation: 256 RAM in r_mode 3 e3_1 I get from 1-5
new situation: 512 RAM in r_mode 3 e3_1 I get from 6-24

Good enough to get the idea

Athlon XP 2100+, 512 megs PC2100 DDR RAM, MSI K7T266 Pro2-A motherboard, GeForce2 MX400 graphics card, SB Live! Value sound card.

7 FPS.

Naturally my graphics card is the horrible bottleneck. When Doom 3 comes out I will upgrade to something more befitting.

Disorder said:

How do I find out what type of memory I have (ddr, sdr, or rdr)?

use http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php cpu-z (very small prog) and look on the memory tab for module information. That should give you the answer.

Thanks Zoost.
Time for a little update, it appears now that I have:

- Memory: Hyundai Electronics SDRAM PC133 256 MB
- CPU: Intel Pentium IV MMX 1500 MHZ
- Videocard: GeForce 2 MX400

Okay, I already know that I'm gonna have to buy a new videocard. I'm thinking of buying a Radeon 9700 or a NV30. For memory, I'd like to buy an extra 256. Will all of that be enough to get very good framerates in Doom III?

Disorder said:

Thanks Zoost.
Time for a little update, it appears now that I have:

- Memory: Hyundai Electronics SDRAM PC133 256 MB
- CPU: Intel Pentium IV MMX 1500 MHZ
- Videocard: GeForce 2 MX400

Okay, I already know that I'm gonna have to buy a new videocard. I'm thinking of buying a Radeon 9700 or a NV30. For memory, I'd like to buy an extra 256. Will all of that be enough to get very good framerates in Doom III?

Wait until a couple of weeks before Doom3. I am.

800x600x32
20~30 fps. drops to about 12~15 buring battles. Still having minor sound problems, but everything much better since tweaking some settings.

AMD xp2000+
WinXP Pro/DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
256 MB DDR PC2100 (my problem)
Soyo UltraDragon KT333
MSI Geforce4 Ti46000

Must obtain 512 MB PC2700! Must achieve maximum bus speeds!

Shaviro said:

Wait until a couple of weeks before Doom3. I am.

Yeah, me too. A Radeon 9700 is still about €440, which is almost the same price as it is in US Dollars. And that is way too expensive at the moment..

'Good' framerates? Define good. Your 1.5Ghz P4 is a bit lacking, and that SDRAM is going to murder any chance your 1.5Ghz P4 had. If you had DDR or (sadly) RDRAM you'd be a lot better off. My advice to you is to avoid buying any more PC133 SDRAM - it's just wasted money unless you intend to keep this computer running and build a wholly separate computer.

Upgrading your video card, however, is perfectly fine, because you can simply stick that in this box, and if you decide to build a new box later, you can rip it out and stick it in your new system. 9700 (Pro or non-) should do you well - but even a Ti4600 would be fine. If you want to wait for NV30, wait for NV30 and then wait to see what ATI does about the NV30, if anything. You could be a very happy winner in a very, very ugly price war.

O_o Where are you finding 9700 Pros for $440? I can get one right now for $315.

Katarhyne said:

'Good' framerates? Define good.

Good framerates to me means that I can play the game without noticable slowdowns in framerates. So even in huge fights I want to be able to play the game without slowdowns.

Your 1.5Ghz P4 is a bit lacking, and that SDRAM is going to murder any chance your 1.5Ghz P4 had. If you had DDR or (sadly) RDRAM you'd be a lot better off. My advice to you is to avoid buying any more PC133 SDRAM - it's just wasted money unless you intend to keep this computer running and build a wholly separate computer.

It's possible to take that SDRAM out right? How 'bout I completely replace it with 512 MB of DDR or RDRAM? That should do the trick, right?

O_o Where are you finding 9700 Pros for $440? I can get one right now for $315.

In Holland, but I only checked one store, so there might be cheaper opportunities.

Well, the problem with yanking out your RAM and sticking in something new is that it doesn't work that way. SDRAM, DDR SDRAM, and RDRAM all use different slots - and in fact, RDRAM doesn't even use the same memory technology (it's serial, as opposed to parallel). You'd have to get an all-new motherboard.

YES! On a high-speed Athlon system, merely moving from PC133 SDRAM to the same amount of PC2100 DDR SDRAM can give you as much as 15% improvement in performance across the board, and as much as 50% in some things, including Quake-engined games, which traditionally benefit hugely from increased memory bandwidth. It's not unrealistic nor unreasonable to assume that Doom 3 will have similar affection towards huge main memory bandwidth.

On Pentium 4s it's even more pronounced. Going from SDRAM to DDR SDRAM can double or even triple (no, I'm not exaggerating, and no, I'm not kidding) performance in some things, and will generally give a greater-than-fifty-percent increase in performance across the board. Going from DDR SDRAM to Rambus DRAM can give a small performance increase in some things, but it really doesn't justify the cost against the three negative factors to RDRAM - 1) the exorbitant cost, 2) the incredibly high latency (imagine having a laggy computer), and 3) the fact that you're giving your money to a company even less honest than Enron.

My brother and I actually just tested it last week - a 2.8Ghz P4 paired with 1GB of PC133 SDRAM gets outperformed by a 1.8Ghz Athlon with 1GB of PC2100 DDR SDRAM, in everything. But if you stick that same P4 chip in another motherboard with PC2100 DDR SDRAM, it wipes the floor with the Athlon system. (which, isn't surprising since it has a 1000Mhz clock-speed advantage).

Well, thanks for the information.
This pretty much means that I'm gonna have to buy the following:

- New mainboard
- New Videocard
- New Memory, and lots of it
- Doom III

That's a whole lotta money we're talking about.
I'll just wait till a couple of weeks before the game comes out so most of this stuff is relatively cheap :)
Can anyone make an estimated price for all that?

Sure. Throw in the game, and figure about $450US for a rig that'll run the game nice - assuming you were to buy from American distributors, or someone who can buy from American distributors. ^.^;

Katarhyne said:

Sure. Throw in the game, and figure about $450US for a rig that'll run the game nice - assuming you were to buy from American distributors, or someone who can buy from American distributors. ^.^;

$450US? That's the price for this time of year.. Right? At least, I hope it is, that would mean the prices will drop.