Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
WhilelM

World Tech Tribune on L33t haX0r skillz

Yeah, whatever, I bet you were playing the alpha as you posted this...

Guh, Captain Obvious teams up with Oblivious boy to bring you this load of both obvious and ill-informed rubbish.

While I agree on the anti-piracy stance, this guy is throwing the whole D3Alpha topic out of proportion.

Using less proper english, he was more or less saying "OMFG! NOW EVRY1 WILL STEEL DOOMS TECH!", but that isn't true at all. Who the hell would bother reverse-engineering a program that's using tech that's been out for some while? DOT3 Bumpmapping? NVidia has tutorials freely available for it! Volumetric shadows? That's even been done in a game before! No right-minded developer would BOTHER reverse engineering it.

As for the rant about GPL, I have no idea what that was about... I didn't see any source code, did you? Who the hell would think it's even vaugly mistakable as GPLed software?

The Alpha wont harm Id much, although I can understand why they'd be pissed off. It's only a small section of the game, and if Id are planning anything revolutionary, then it wasn't shown in here.

It does not create problems, but concerns.

And for the record, this guy should brush up on his math. If piracy consumed a reported $3.2 billion, then the game industry did NOT "make half the money it was supposed to"... a reported $6.3 billion. It made 2/3's.

PlayfulPuppy said:
Using less proper english, he was more or less saying "OMFG! NOW EVRY1 WILL STEEL DOOMS TECH!", but that isn't true at all. Who the hell would bother reverse-engineering a program that's using tech that's been out for some while? [/B]

Because Carmack found new way to implement it in a more robust manner ?

But i don't think it's possible to obtain usable algorithm in this way.

i dunno, i managed to learn a lot about Doom's occlusion culling just by playing with it. i'm tempted to write a simple portal engine now. :)

WhilelM said:

Because Carmack found new way to implement it in a more robust manner ?

But i don't think it's possible to obtain usable algorithm in this way.

Carmack posted about his robust Inverse Volumetric Shadow technique the second he worked it out. :)

He's got a fairly large write-up on NVidias site somewhere, right next to the paper from 1979 displaying the theory of Volumetric Lighting. :)

that guy was a moron, it was a badly written article with a lot of adhominem attackts and strawmen. I dont even have the alpha, but fuck him anyway

UPDATE: hes also wrong about the GPL, contrary to propaganda, you CAN continue to make money with it, the issue is Competitiveness with other developers, NOT sales

PlayfulPuppy said:

Guh, Captain Obvious teams up with Oblivious boy to bring you this load of both obvious and ill-informed rubbish.

While I agree on the anti-piracy stance, this guy is throwing the whole D3Alpha topic out of proportion.

Using less proper english, he was more or less saying "OMFG! NOW EVRY1 WILL STEEL DOOMS TECH!", but that isn't true at all. Who the hell would bother reverse-engineering a program that's using tech that's been out for some while? DOT3 Bumpmapping? NVidia has tutorials freely available for it! Volumetric shadows? That's even been done in a game before! No right-minded developer would BOTHER reverse engineering it.

As for the rant about GPL, I have no idea what that was about... I didn't see any source code, did you? Who the hell would think it's even vaugly mistakable as GPLed software?

The Alpha wont harm Id much, although I can understand why they'd be pissed off. It's only a small section of the game, and if Id are planning anything revolutionary, then it wasn't shown in here.

It does not create problems, but concerns.

And for the record, this guy should brush up on his math. If piracy consumed a reported $3.2 billion, then the game industry did NOT "make half the money it was supposed to"... a reported $6.3 billion. It made 2/3's.

Yea.. Exactly my opinion