Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

Occult scenery in a Mars outpost.

I can recall an interview with one of the guys from ID Software talking about the leveldesign. I think I read that the Gothic scenery will return in Doom III. After seeing some screenshots and some videos I find it a little difficult to see why there would be Gothic scenery in the year 2145 in a Mars outpost. Don't get me wrong, because I'd love to see it. It sets a very eerie mood.

But how could stuff like Goatheads and candlesticks end up in a Mars outpost? Because of an incident with a gateway? I personally don't see the link myself, so I'd like to hear what you think about it.

Fredrik said:

Why would there be gothic scenery in hell.

Maybe Imps are into furniture.. But Shaviro might be right. I automatically assumed that the scenery would be inside the base, while it might also be found in Hell.

Fredrik said:

Why would there be gothic scenery in a Mars base.

ask the decorators. just because it's a base on mars doesn't mean it has to be all techie and stuff. if i was out working or living or whatever in a secluded base on mars, i'd like to feel a little closer to home. still, gothic interior design wouldn't exactly do that for me. maybe it's a scientist/marine thing. maybe the demons abd stuff decided to do some interior re-designing to make it feel more like home? who knows...

I dunno who cares I just hope they have gothic sceanery in doom 3 anyway it looks cool and gives it an evil unforgiving feel. Thats why I liked the first dooms so much. Pentagrams, bodies on chains, souls stuck in walls, candles with skulls, floating eyes wierd shit like that.

Did anyone think that there might be gothic scenery and demonic scenery in the base because of the demon's influence from the gateways and shit? DO YOU NOT REMEMBER WHAT THE ORIGINAL DOOM WAS LIKE, heh.

Fredrik said:

Why would you hate something cool.

Hmm, let's see...
Doom 1 (released 1993), episode 2: The Shores of Hell. You walk around in a warehouse sort of place with lots of crates when suddenly you come upon a hallway with sickly green marble walls and other gothic features - this is but one example of the many mutated areas of this place (there was even goth in E1 at the end).

In other words: The reality of Hell is slowly flooding into the Phobos base and as Deimos is already in Hell, it transforms much faster than Phobos.

In Doom 3, it'd be prudent to assume that the gates to Hell (I assume that there are two gates in... maybe two different bases on Mars) allow the reality of Hell to flow into the "human dimension" to fuck up the base, suddenly turning areas into weird gothic areas from a nightmare.

That's where goth would make sense in a Martian space station in the year 2145.

And goth in Hell would make sense too, since Hell could take on many forms as well. It could be a world with one place shaped like a mock of the inside of a human body, another shaped like a gothic, but weird castle fortress with all kinds of crazy shit in it, and a third shaped like claustrophobic underground caverns with your worst nightmares coming true. There is no homogenic interpretation of Hell - if id designed Hell good enough, they would allow for something really fucked up and with varying environments.

Just my two cents.

i would like to see very cool and original hell levels.. very fucked up etc.. like Alice

dsm said:

In other words: The reality of Hell is slowly flooding into the Phobos base and as Deimos is already in Hell, it transforms much faster than Phobos.

Sounds plausible enough for me. I´m eagerly awaiting the first screenshot which features a bright lit room full of candles, pillars and lots of blood.

dsm said:

Just my two cents.

More like two dollars. :)

Isn't hell open to interpetations? Hell is supposedly different for everyone. What you see may not be what I see.

Best curse ever:
A plague of Barneys apon ye! :) (err, it got me thinking of this)

A while back in PC Gamer, there was quite a large section devoted to Doom 3. Had pics of the Imp, Pinky, Zombies, Hell Knight, Archvile, Lost Soul, and descriptions of the Mancubus and Revenant.

Along with all of that, it said in the intro to the game, you find a mysteriously nervous acting scientist at a computer. He opened the gate, and some huge monstrosity walks through the gate. What's all this have to do with the Gothic Scenery? Here's my theory: I think that there were conspirators within the UAC, that worked with the occult and supernatural. The Gothic scenery came from their part. Also, I might add, that according to the books, the Gates and alot of the architecture on Phobos and Deimos was ALREADY THERE, and so were the gates. Therfore, it is my opinion that it is either a cult working within the UAC, or it's the architecture that the UAC had to build around, trying not to mess with it to avoid a overhead collapse (The Phobos and Deimos bases go downwards like a cone).

Melfice Darkmage said:

A while back in PC Gamer, there was quite a large section devoted to Doom 3. Had pics of the Imp, Pinky, Zombies, Hell Knight, Archvile, Lost Soul, and descriptions of the Mancubus and Revenant.

Along with all of that, it said in the intro to the game, you find a mysteriously nervous acting scientist at a computer. He opened the gate, and some huge monstrosity walks through the gate. What's all this have to do with the Gothic Scenery? Here's my theory: I think that there were conspirators within the UAC, that worked with the occult and supernatural. The Gothic scenery came from their part. Also, I might add, that according to the books, the Gates and alot of the architecture on Phobos and Deimos was ALREADY THERE, and so were the gates. Therfore, it is my opinion that it is either a cult working within the UAC, or it's the architecture that the UAC had to build around, trying not to mess with it to avoid a overhead collapse (The Phobos and Deimos bases go downwards like a cone).

Two things u gotta remember though bud is that, 1. the books are seperate interpretations of the doom story, so don't really apply here and 2. i'd refrain from mentioning them cause ur liable to get a vicious ass-chewing cause from what i've seen, not many people 'round here like em... or else they just hate me cause last time i mentioned the books i got crucified

Can't chew me out too much, the only other person that's actually applied logical reasoning here has been DSM, atleast I'm trying to come up with something. Aside from that the only one of the books I like is Knee-Deep in the Dead. The rest sucked ass.

Either way, the fact that the gates were there before the UAC got there remains even without the books.

okay. i'm a builder, on one of mars' moons. i've got to build a moonbase, and when i get there i find bits of building already there, all decorated with skulls and scary faces and stuff. i'd probably get the fuck out of there instead of building around it!!
jesus christ these people were asking for it.

and hell is bound to look like some shithole from one of those changing rooms interior decorating shows with elevator music playing all the time. stuff from horror movies i could deal with. that i couldn't stand!!

Disorder said:

Sounds plausible enough for me. I´m eagerly awaiting the first screenshot which features a bright lit room full of candles, pillars and lots of blood.

me 3

The_Aeromaster said:

If they put gothic scenery in I'll kill. Gothic stuff is for losers who are pretending to be bad, there's no real evil involved.

Fine then dont call it "gotic" stuff. But there better be gore like people hanging on meat hooks or blood splatter walls with skulls chained to them, or people stuck on posts things like that are what made doom doom.

Tyockell said:

Fine then dont call it "gotic" stuff. But there better be gore like people hanging on meat hooks or blood splatter walls with skulls chained to them, or people stuck on posts things like that are what made doom doom.

I agree with that, and I'd love to see all that stuff. I was just explainin to them guys the difference between evil and gothic visual effects... gothic shit ain't scary, i think its stupid.

The_Aeromaster said:

I agree with that, and I'd love to see all that stuff. I was just explainin to them guys the difference between evil and gothic visual effects... gothic shit ain't scary, i think its stupid.

ok good enough :-p

Never really saw dooms scenery as gothic either... just twisted evil satanic and such. And i have to agree with DSM, hell is slowly spilling into the "mortal realm" and it starts changing the architecthture to something more.... hellish. I mean if you were an imp would you rather have your barracks full of military bunk beds and soft pillows and bed sheets or decaptiated humans, bas relief demon heads on the floor and bloody mangled corpses hanging from the ceiling? Thats assuming imps stay in barracks lol. You get the idea :)

Tyockell said:

There's an awesome scene like that in the alpha intro - a guy with his guts hanging out, struggling, attached to a huge glowing pentagram.

Melfice Darkmage said:

Therfore, it is my opinion that it is either a cult working within the UAC, or it's the architecture that the UAC had to build around, trying not to mess with it to avoid a overhead collapse (The Phobos and Deimos bases go downwards like a cone).

Spoiler

One of those theories might be the right one. In one of Doom III's alpha directories there's a file, which contains names of enemies. The file speaks of a 'cultleader'. Sounds really cool to me. I love the idea of having a Satanic scientific cultgroup in the game.