Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Go Little Record Go

apparently doom3 is a retelling of doom1-- does this mean we will see

I wouldn't be suprised, but it will surely be in one big episode with 3 chapters because choosing to start at map 10 or 20 would suck IMO.

Methinks it'll take a more storyline approach like most fps games or doom2. Throwing the character into 10 levels in the game won't really have the feel that Id are trying to achieve.

Besides i'm sure we'll be able to jump levels with console commands.

They mean retelling as in the setting, Mars (which wasn't in Doom 1), Phobos and Deimos, probably Hell too.

Doom III is going to have quite a detailed story and setting, so breaking up the game into a few different parts that the player can jump into at any time wouldn't be the best idea. They'll probably just make the game one big 'level' like Half-Life was.

Lord FlatHead said:

They'll probably just make the game one big 'level' like Half-Life was.

Those are along the lines of what I was thinking. I also remember it being said awhile back that it will be a slower paced game than the previous "run and gun" installments. All the more fitting with the one big level thing.

One big level should be good.
Location:Mars,Phobos,Deimos,Hell.Earth and Moon should be nice addition too (if there will be no retelling of DOOM II)

IIRC, it's already official that it'll be like HL - one big "level" - it will of course break off when you go to Hell as Hell is seperate from the Mars base, but other than this little "interruption", we'll see the Mars base connected as a big "level" thingy made up of a total of 30 maps (according to id).

That was one of the best things about Half-Life - The whole "singular envirnment" thing. (Although it did kinda break up in Xen...)

When they say retelling, they mean it's the same event (the invasion from Hell), but from a different point of view. In the first game, u played a marine who had to fight his way off of the Phobos base when all hell broke loose up there, then u ended up on Deimos and so on and so forth. This time, u experience the events of a different person who was on the mars base when the shit hits the fan.

Did they say yet whether or not u'll be making a trip to one or both of the moons, or will u go straight from mars to hell? If not, then presumably, while ur fighting on Mars base, the Doomguy that u played in the first game is whooping ass on the moons at the same time, assuming that Hell invaded the planet and the moons at the same time.
It'd be cool if they had, as a secret of course, a level where u team up with the other guy and wreak havoc. The level would probably haveta be in Hell, or maybe u could find a secret gate over to Phobos, team-up and then u get transported back somehow.

I like the idea of the game being slower-pace and more story-oriented too. It'll make the game more submersive than just running and blasting shit, especially with the detail that goes into each map, and not having a ton of enemies on screen at once.

We've seen that the enemies will be tougher one-on-one than they were in the previous games. I'm sure most of us that aren't too full of ourselves to admit it will have stories about how we got wasted by an imp or zombie the first time we played it.

The_Aeromaster said:
When they say retelling, they mean it's the same event (the invasion from Hell), but from a different point of view. In the first game, u played a marine who had to fight his way off of the Phobos base when all hell broke loose up there, then u ended up on Deimos and so on and so forth. This time, u experience the events of a different person who was on the mars base when the shit hits the fan.

I could be wrong, but I would have to say that's not the case. You are the Doomguy in this game. It's a retelling, meaning that the general elements are the same, but the specifics are different. Basically, there is still an invasion, all hell still breaks loose, and a lone marine is still charged with stoping the invasion. The enemies are the same, though the look different, the weapons are the same, though they look different. Basically the setting is now on Mars (more feasible) instead of on Phobos & Deimos, and your way through the game has changed accordingly.

well i guess there's two ways to look at it... one way is like i said above^ that's it's from a different guy's point of view, or it's more along the lines of "what if the doomguy was on mars instead of phobos when the invasion happened"... now that i think about it, it's probly the latter

i still think it'd be cool though if this story was parallel to the original one, cause then like i said as a cool secret u could team up with the other marine and kick serious ass for a few levels

both scenarios are possible... because in all reality, u don't know what happens at the end of this game, whether u make it back to earth or not, or whether u actually stop the invasion or not, and in the original story there's no details of what happened on mars... so both stories could happen at the same time, as long as this one doesn't interact with the original one at any point

i think the id guys were probably thinking more along the lines of the "what if" scenario though

EllipsusD said:

Basically the setting is now on Mars (more feasible) instead of on Phobos & Deimos

what'd u mean?

i know it's on mars, but what'd u mean by (more feasible)?

The_Aeromaster said:
what'd u mean?

i know it's on mars, but what'd u mean by (more feasible)?

It's much more likely that humans would be able to build a base on Mars than on one of it's moons. I mean, aren't the two moons pretty unwelcoming, composition-wise? It just makes more sense for the base to be on Mars.

well, one of the moons has all jaggedy fuckin canyon crazy formations all over it and would be hard to build a base on, but the other one is alot like our moon, so we could do that one now, and in the future probly the other one, and like i said we were mining somethin off of them, probly somethin that's not on the planet... i do see where ur comin from though

AFAIK it's entirely feasible for smallish bases to be constructed underground on Phobos and Deimos, but not on the surface like they are in Doom.

NiGHTMARE said:

AFAIK it's entirely feasible for smallish bases to be constructed underground on Phobos and Deimos, but not on the surface like they are in Doom.

Yes, and that's why it's possible that there are some sort of station on Phobos at least - but it won't be anywhere near the size of the bases in the original Doom game - more like a single small building built into the crust of the moon.

I think its more a point of view by telling a story.. when you tell a story it is remembered diffrent by diffrent people, so those people who hear the story they will tell the story diffrent then the original one. so I think this is the same thing, a story told but you relive it. maby the original doom story was not acurate, and something else happened at diffrent locations. maby the whole doom3 thing is just turning to be a dream had by our classic doomguy after he battled hell on mars and hell on earth awaits him

maby there are 2 doomguys batteling thier own hell at once at diffrent lacations. In fact I like that ideah. why not what is such a big disaster of not playing with the old doomguy again, it would also explain why the new doomguy has black hare and the original brouwnredisch hair an looks a lil diffrent

anyway, we will know eventually, once we all play the game and finish it with great joy. untill then, SPECULATIONS

EVIL said:

I think its more a point of view by telling a story.. when you tell a story it is remembered diffrent by diffrent people, so those people who hear the story they will tell the story diffrent then the original one.

Yes, quite, and since id didn't like the Doom novels (possibly because the authors had interpreted id's own intentions with the storyline wrongly), they might be trying to set things right and emphazise what they meant in the original game.

dsm said:

Yes, quite, and since id didn't like the Doom novels (possibly because the authors had interpreted id's own intentions with the storyline wrongly), they might be trying to set things right and emphazise what they meant in the original game.

I think one fo the ways that Id can do that is to, take the texet [doom1 texet]at the end of the episodes and make a movie of them.The books hade the whole look of the mars bace's and hell all messed up. That is one of the main reasons I hated the books.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Hell yeah it did, Xen was like a bad acid trip...

My big bro is always paying a trip to xen after a night out boozing. :-P

I do hope i can go outside and get a look at whatever sunshine you get on mars. Of course i don't really expect to see many monsters when outside except maybe a cyberdemon or something similar to those worms in dune (except it should be smaller).

I dont expect to see sun on mars. Mabby in the begening moive.When the slughter starts the out side will change veary much.That what I think.

BlueSonnet said:

I do hope i can go outside and get a look at whatever sunshine you get on mars. Of course i don't really expect to see many monsters when outside except maybe a cyberdemon or something similar to those worms in dune (except it should be smaller).

You should be able to see that by looking out of windows in Doom 3.

BlueSonnet said:

I'd also like to go swimming too. (i'll talk about this more in a thread)

That would be cool.I just dont want to see another udner water maze.
I hated the one in metal gerar soild2.

I just hope that id doesn't make us go wading through any toxic pools.

Prime said:

I just hope that id doesn't make us go wading through any toxic pools.

Yet it wouldn't be faithful to the Doom universe not to have toxic slime in it somehow. As long as they don't force you through it without wearing some sort of environment suit.