Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultimate Demon

DOOM 3 video shown @ E3

What did you guys think of that Hell landscape in the beginning of the video? It's too hard to see what's going on there, but it looks huge to me.

Disorder said:

What did you guys think of that Hell landscape in the beginning of the video? It's too hard to see what's going on there, but it looks huge to me.

I don't know... Are you sure that is not a gate on Phobos/Deimos!?

Shaviro said:

I don't know... Are you sure that is not a gate on Phobos/Deimos!?

Looks like hell to me. I'm not sure if the link is allowed. If it's not, then please remove it: Hell?

Disorder said:

Looks like hell to me. I'm not sure if the link is allowed. If it's not, then please remove it: Hell?

hmm.. It does look gray-hellish...or something. The Cyberdemon head thingie looks awesome, though. I guess that's how his head will be on the final!?

Disorder said:

That's what it might look like. Or either it is just Hellish decoration.

I can't wait to 'decorate' hell myself... I think I will paint it..... red.

Me too :) So did anyone else notice the monitor in the beginning of the vid? Looks exactly like the UAC website to me. Would this mean the website will be online shortly? It looks like a clear hint, a reference.

Disorder said:

Me too :) So did anyone else notice the monitor in the beginning of the vid? Looks exactly like the UAC website to me. Would this mean the website will be online shortly? It looks like a clear hint, a reference.

Maybe...perhaps.. It's sure to open sometime. I don't think we're too long away from a release. 6 months tops.

Wow, looks great and sooo SMOOTH!! So was that video (the one that Dima linked to) the XBoX or PC version? And was it prerecorded or real-time rendered? Damn it looks, great.

Check it out, I think you can shoot the Imps fireballs or maybe that little explosion was only a partially spawned fireball that then exploded when the imp got shot. cool~~~~~ hoooooghh!

Zoost said:

I'm not that impressed by the head and spiderthing. But maybe if you see them moving at 50fps crawling/running from the shadows into the light that will change.

MOOORRE!!

Gezz. The spider is a rip of the moive the thing. But I still like it.

It's a darn shame I can't remember who all those wimpy whiners that bitched about "Doom 3 being nothing but narrow corridors" are - otherwise I'd be busy poking fun of them now while showing them the "spider" screenshot which clearly shows a nicely sized room >:-]

j/k

Seriously, that screenshot has a nice big room in it.

Right now I would really want to see a vid grab from "The Thing" so that I could see if these spider heads are really so damn similar to the ones in The Thing. Regardless, I think they're a kickass addition to the Doom universe.
Undoomish? Perhaps, but I never expected Doom 3 to be totally like Doom - you just can't update a franchise without adding new stuff, and new stuff is bound to be unlike what was in the old game.

All I know is that I think the spideys are a cool addition that fits well with the space station/Hell theme, stolen or not. Can't wait to blast these spider suckers - I'm sure battles with those will be really frantic. Creepy crawly :-]

I've got mixed feelings about those "lost soul" heads. While I think their eyes look ten times cooler and more evil than in the concept sketch, I think the heads look a little less feminine than the concept sketch. I'm also slightly disappointed that the heads aren't as dead pale as the one in the sketch.
Probably the biggest problem I have with the heads is that they look cut 'n pasted in and not blending in with the surroundings too well.

Haven't seen the vid, don't plan to - good things will come to me anyway when I get the game running on my comp.

It'll probably be blown away by the Half Life 2 footage anyway ;-)

Oh yeah, and I hope that horned skull is NOT a depiction of the Doom 3 cybie's head shape - else it would be suckier than the original one. The original had those badass curved horns - this skull just has the standard "spike horns".

dsm said:

It'll probably be blown away by the Half Life 2 footage anyway ;-)

Somehow I doubt that. It would really take something awesome to blow the Doom 3 trailer way in my book...

Shaviro said:

Somehow I doubt that. It would really take something awesome to blow the Doom 3 trailer way in my book...

Hey, that was exactly what I thought when I saw the Macworld footage - and LOOK where we're at now!
Lots of people babbling about how HL 2 looks "almost better than Doom 3"

Dude, I'm through underestimating people - especially Half Life fans :-P

dsm said:

Right now I would really want to see a vid grab from "The Thing" so that I could see if these spider heads are really so damn similar to the ones in The Thing. Regardless, I think they're a kickass addition to the Doom universe.
Undoomish? Perhaps, but I never expected Doom 3 to be totally like Doom - you just can't update a franchise without adding new stuff, and new stuff is bound to be unlike what was in the old game.

Its not a vid shot but..the 3rd shot is a pic of it http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?division=toys&category=movies&series=mm3&product=norriscreature

Rotting Corpse said:

Hey thanks buddy!
Heh, the one from The Thing looks more crazy and alien-esque imo.
The ones in Doom 3 look more hellish and imo more creepy although I wish there'd be more to them than those shiny, plain legs of theirs. Maybe some long, disgusting hairs or make the legs out of plain bones :-J

Still, that's a sure ripoff, but hey, most game companies seem to be ripping off stuff these days. Hell, even the original Doom had ripoffs (like that Dreadnought thing where they used the head to give birth to the Cacodemon :-]).

dsm said:

Haven't seen the vid, don't plan to - good things will come to me anyway when I get the game running on my comp.

You're missing something spectacular. But yeah, there's a couple of spoilers in the trailer. Then again, once you're playing the game I doubt you know when all of that stuff is going to happen so you'll still be scared anyway.

You welcom DSM.Tose legs need more detail. There are more games riping off others now a days. maby the indastry is running out of ideas?

Damn, I'm in love with that pistol - I could sit and stare at it for hours.
Rotting Corpse: I don't think the industry is running out of ideas just yet - they just need to go out and look at animals. The world is full of really creepy animals that should provide plenty of inspiration. I don't think it's that easy to run out of monster concepts.
And like I said, the original Doom was full of ripoffs, just not from movies but from Dungeons & Dragons and the like.

I think it's a little more intentional that id ripped off The Thing: They know that The Thing was a great and popular movie, so if they have to rip off something, it has to be from a great movie.
The more I look at those spiders, the more pleased I am with them. Like I said, they look more hellish than the ones in The Thing, namely because of that mutilated jaws of theirs. The spideys in The Thing are more like normal faces (but with a really freaky look on the face).

/Looks at pistol again. *drools*
/realizes that the whole flat is full of drool.

Holy Christ.

I was kind of disappointed with the leaked E3 demo... But seems I was totally fucking wrong. You're right dsm, Doom III is not just boring dark corridors... But now will you stop bitching about the Lost Souls once and for all ? Thanks.

The coolest things have to be the computer room in the beginning, the Half-Life-esque tram ride on the surface, imps bursting through doors and grates, bending glass and crawling on pipes, the Hell Knight throwing the chainsaw grunt around like a ragdoll, and, well, everything else :)

Massive roar from the audience at the end of the video

I agree. I think this is also the first time we've seen actual gameplay footage from id... Which is nice. All of a sudden I'm VERY glad I bought that XBox =)

Also, what do you think this is ?

Looks like a chaingun or minigun, though the minigun some of the Commandos were carrying in the Alpha wasn't this colourful.

Lord FlatHead said:

Holy Christ.

I was kind of disappointed with the leaked E3 demo... But seems I was totally fucking wrong. You're right dsm, Doom III is not just boring dark corridors... But now will you stop bitching about the Lost Souls once and for all ? Thanks.

Hahahahahahahaha, don't worry, I've stopped bitching about 'em long ago.
Nah, I think these guys are really cool - my 'bitching' earlier in this thread was more to point out that yes, I think Doom 3 looks *@£$ing sweet, but I know its engine is not perfect, as is evident by those "cut and paste" creatures.
Like I said, I love their eyes :-)

dsm said:

yes, I think Doom 3 looks *@£$ing sweet, but I know its engine is not perfect, as is evident by those "cut and paste" creatures.
Like I said, I love their eyes :-)

Yeah, but once you see them in motion I'm sure they won't look cut and pasted anymore. Same thing goes for all screenshots. No matter how cool some of 'em look, they look way better in motion.

Saw that imp thing behind the glass, just banging away at it ...

The revenant seems to make 2 showings in the trailer, one running around a bend and throwing a punch at the player, and the other at the very end. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, that hell knight sequence ROCKED. Just goes to show they're not as lumberingly stupid as the 2 scripted examples we've seen from the leaked alpha.

The imp swarming is wicked as well, in that sequence when 3 or 4 of them just break down a door and crawl all over each other and the door to get in at the player.

Time to get a damp rag and starts mopping up the drool

Arioch said:

And yes, that hell knight sequence ROCKED. Just goes to show they're not as lumberingly stupid as the 2 scripted examples we've seen from the leaked alpha.

I thinks that scene is scripted too.

Disorder said:

I thinks that scene is scripted too.

I dunno, that swipe COULD be a standard attack.

Disorder said:

Can't believe no one said anything about the new chaingun yet :)

I thought everyone else had realized all there was about it :P