Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

No Doom 3 this year?

Arioch said:

Meh, even if HL2 is any good at time of release, just give Valve a few months time to patch it up to a state of unplayability.

It is quite amazing, really quite amazing about HL's patches. Never seen anything like it before. It would almost appear that they were (are? is there still more to come?) trying to sabotage their own game. And I'd been thinking patches were supposed to fix things.

Arioch said:
No, the tool to interact with the world is the now-gay crowbar. In case you weren't paying attention to the video, now the crowbar is CLICK-SMASH instead of CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-SMASH.[/B]

Hahahah, funny stuff Arioch, If YOU paid attention to many of the interviews that were floating around at the time the HL2 videos came out, YOU might of noticed the comments about the crowbar being unfinished and in alpha state in the videos.

Interesting reply from Dubh...

Trent Reznor leaved because he needed more time for a new album i thought..ID wanted a replacement for 6 months like 3-4 months ago..if it's true the game is 90% done(content) then maybe we'll see it just before christmas...march 2004(end of it in worst case) is only 3 months later guys..not a year

I keep checking inventory at amazon and still no word. I even got to ask Jeff Wilky about the game and he had no clue *LIKE i EXPECTED* We will have the game a minimum of two weeks in advance before the preorders are placed on the site just like with harry potter. So i may end up being the first to tell you about its release date. Lets hope so..........

I don't see any reliable sources on these news, so why take them serious?
Isn't this like the 666th time some wacky source claims to know something about Doom 3's release?

There is only one group of people who really know: iD Software

And they haven't said anything about this matter as of yet. Personally, I'm kinda laughing at people's reactions.

dsm said:

I don't see any reliable sources on these news, so why take them serious?

Activision is not a reliable source? Well, maybe not.

Fredrik said:

Activision is not a reliable source? Well, maybe not.

Lemme see here...
The news were posted on Bluesnews which seemed to be basing the news on HomeLAN Fed which again based their stuff on Activision's 2003 release calendar.

Activision hasn't stated directly (not as far as I can see) that Doom 3 won't be done in 2003.
They just haven't shown it under planned releases - until I see a spokesman from Activision stating directly that "Sorry folks, no Doom 3 this year", I'm not gonna take this stuff even remotely serious.

And even if somebody can show me a direct link to some Activision guy stating this I'd still doubt it because what the Hell does Activision know about the actual development of Doom 3? Only what they get through short reports from iD I would guess.

The fact that it was linked through several news sources doesn't change the release calendar itself. The release calendar is on Activision's own site and it's 100% official. That doesn't mean it's true though, id Software might have a different opinion on when they'll be finished with the game still.

So we come to the same conclusion that activison is just backin themselfes up..if ID suddenly rings the bell say like november,december and it goes gold..we're lucky and maybe see the game earlyer..

I agree with dsm.
I won't repeat what I said in my provious reply but I stand by it.
This whole thread of discussion and disappointment began simply from an Activision Report (which is 100% accurate). All other news sources are derivatives of this Report. If Activision knew the release date for Doom3 we would know because that info would have been leaked somehow. Thats why game companies don't tell their publishers much.
All paperwork involved, required infrastructure, manpower etc. would have been allocated a long time ago to prepare for the release of Doom3 given a certain period-of-notice. If the game was finished today, they could be banging it out in 2 weeks, no problem. We are dealing with a multinational publishing company here, not a garage mailing house....

wait and see I guess (again) :)

Dubh, you seem to contradict yourself in your previous post. :)

Dsm was trying to point out that the Activision release calender might not be totally accurate. You said you agree with him, yet referred to the Activision report as being "100% accurate"?

Erm... I kinda lost you there.

I don't understand why the publisher of a game should contradict the developers, or vice versa. If Activision says 2004, than I consider it to be 'official'. What more do you want, John Carmack coming over to your house and personally shaking hands on it ?

Fuck, damnit, shit. Better be Jan 2004 if not 2003. Bastards.

I'm waiting so fucking long for this game, i'm getting tired. I hope they release the MP demo to the public after quakecon2003.

I appriciate the Valve way more and more. Not say/leak anything and just announce the game and the releasedate 3 months in advance. It looks like Id has lost control on this project.

Is anybody goning to quakecon2003 by the way?

Lord FlatHead said:

I don't understand why the publisher of a game should contradict the developers

Because they have no clue whatsoever when it's really going to be done, much like the rest of us?

Flametrooper said:

One more year of polishing won't make the game uglier. :D

It is especially true for someone like John Carmack.

yea but one more year of polishing is sure as fuck gunna make my temper alot uglier.

My speculation:
-earlyest
december,2003 ...all gamers happy
-latest
maybe april, may 2004... activision and ID didn't fool us with premature releasedates...all gamers happy

Zoost said:

It looks like Id has lost control on this project.

I agree. They have been a bit sloppy with the amount of restraint they have excercised in terms of information flow.

Shaviro said:

Just read that,too. This is exactly what I've expected since they gave a "fixed" release date.
Postponing a fixed date is more disappointing then having the magic "when it's done" realease date of d3.

In the end chances are high to get d3 earlier then hl2. he he.

Shaviro said:

Not very surprising, but at least it will shut up the HL2 fanboys who actually believed in that fixed September 30th release date.

Common sense suggests that nobody can accurately predict the release date of a software product months ahead of time.

Disorder said:

Halflife 2 has not been pushed back, that's a hoax. Gabe Newell comfirmed it.

As much as I would love to get HL2 on my birthday, I have serious doubts that's gonna happen. Why the employees at Valve think they can accurately predict how much time bugfixing will cost is beyond me.

Edit: Meh. What a lousy post to cross the 250 posts mark with. Oh, well... time to work on an avatar!

Update: I just checked the halflife.net forums and they had a massive thread about this rumored delay. So far there doesn't seem to be an official word from Valve yet.

Zoost said:

It looks like Id has lost control on this project.

I don't remember Id claming they had control over the rumor mill... I may have missed something though.

This may be a bit off topic, but at least we have Freedom Fighters to look forward to before year's end. This game will supply a lot of the intense visuals that Doom3 will FAIL to produce in 2003. It's got dynamic lighting and I suppose all the physics that Hitman had.

Plus, I really like the scenario. My country is being invaded by a bunch of oppresive motherfuckers and I end up leading a band of fighters who proceed to systematically kill the fuck out of them all. muwwhaahah >:D

Doom 3 doesn't have dynamic lighting? [raises eyebrow] Someone else take care of this, I just want to point out that it's not really off-topic to discuss what you would do if Doom 3 doesn't release this year. Me, I'm looking forward to the next GTA game, Manhunt, which is supposed to release in October.