Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick

Worried about Doom 3

Wobbo said:

remember doom 3 is *Not* a get the keys to the door game at all, gameplay will be more like an RPG or adventure game

Umm, the typical RPG has even more keys than the typical FPS :)

Wobbo said:

remember doom 3 is *Not* a get the keys to the door game at all, gameplay will be more like an RPG or adventure game with "fix the engine to proceed" style puzzles (at least if id software and all the magazine prviewers havent been lying). id be very surprised if there is only one way to solve every one of these puzzles

Um, afaik, there'll still be a key for you to look for once in a while.
It's in the PC gamer article that was scanned a while back.

dsm said:

Um, afaik, there'll still be a key for you to look for once in a while.
It's in the PC gamer article that was scanned a while back.

Yeah it mentioned that you have to find a red key at some time in the game ;)

Ha ok ...you meant it that way when talkin' about linear games

.....but my example of carmageddon 1 seems a good example of a non linear game then :)

The replay value of carmageddon 1 was amazing...it stayed fun for months

dsm said:
Hmm, by 'linear' I understand a game that plays the exact same way the second time you go through it - not all FPSs are like this. Actually, only the more recent set of FPSs (read: FPSs released within the last four or five years) are what I regard as 'linear'.

Exactly right.

Mordeth said:

Exactly right.

Nope, I'm afraid it's not. "On-the-rails" FPS's - which are obviously the most linear FPS's of them all - have been around since the 80's. Modern game developers have seen sense and now realise that this type of game is utterly crap (almost as bad as Interactive Movies, which have fortunately also died a death).

About concept: i think that the main source of inspiration for current Doom goes from Event Horizon, Aliens, Alien3, Greek mythological beliefs and gothic scriptures. Personally i would like to see more sci-fi than mystic stuff.

About Doom3 being a game of the future: well, i still believe that Doom3 will make my eye pop out, heh.

About thinking and killing in Doom3: I dont want linear quests like get_the_key_to_open_damn_door. For example you should be able to have opportunities, like you can try to fuel the starship for escaping, or just go into the lab to save some scientist, or try to launch Self-destraction sequence on base. Besides, it could be cool when instead of hanging aroung and searching for key, you will able just to shoot\blow the damn door!!!

About beloved WH40k: Well, this universe has a lot of things common with Doom3, imwo. The forces of Chaos are hellish indeed!

wasted said:

About thinking and killing in Doom3: I dont want linear quests like get_the_key_to_open_damn_door. For example you should be able to have opportunities, like you can try to fuel the starship for escaping, or just go into the lab to save some scientist, or try to launch Self-destraction sequence on base. Besides, it could be cool when instead of hanging aroung and searching for key, you will able just to shoot\blow the damn door!!!

I've been given this a lot of thought and I've reached the conclusion that what I really want is just a kickass killing spree.

To me, non-linear maps are a nice, cool addition, but what's even more important is that you can "interact" differently with the enemies.
What do I care if the maps are linear if imps either attack me from above or from below at random? Nah, I just want it so that I can alert the monsters to my presence and then they'll go hunting for me, attacking you randomly from different locations.

Bottom line: It does not matter if the maps themselves are linear if the monsters themselves provide a different play experience everytime you play. I dunno if you can follow me?

dsm said:

I've been given this a lot of thought and I've reached the conclusion that what I really want is just a kickass killing spree.

To me, non-linear maps are a nice, cool addition, but what's even more important is that you can "interact" differently with the enemies.
What do I care if the maps are linear if imps either attack me from above or from below at random? Nah, I just want it so that I can alert the monsters to my presence and then they'll go hunting for me, attacking you randomly from different locations.

Bottom line: It does not matter if the maps themselves are linear if the monsters themselves provide a different play experience everytime you play. I dunno if you can follow me?

in other words good and interesting AI?.

dsm said:

I dunno if you can follow me?

Well, in Doom 3 i was promised a storyline along with rushin'n'bashin hell spawn. I agree for 100% that monsters play important role in creating unique game atmosphere. But events and player activity should be reflected in some way. As another example: while shooting deamons you blow a keycard_recieveng block at the door. What you are to do then? :)

About AI: beh, there are much easier to include more animation then to write AI scrips imwo.

Tyockell said:

in other words good and interesting AI?.

Not necessarily, just some random behaviour patterns (which isn't necessarily actual AI) or it could be a different thing altogether.
A lot of the old Doom maps seemed rather linear to me, and still they had some replay value courtesy of the monsters - and they didn't have much AI did they?

The reason the monsters add replay value in classic doom is because there's a lot more of them than compared to modern games. They 'interact' (which often equates to shooting each other :P )with each other differently each time you play.

I'm not so sure that sort of random behaviour will happen in doom 3, with fewer monsters on screen.

The Flange Peddler said:

The reason the monsters add replay value in classic doom is because there's a lot more of them than compared to modern games. They 'interact' (which often equates to shooting each other :P )with each other differently each time you play.

I'm not so sure that sort of random behaviour will happen in doom 3, with fewer monsters on screen.

Um, Quake had fewer monsters afaik - there was still some randomness to them.

I think it would be best if the game had many different style stages to satisfy the different tastes. Some levels are just a kill spree, some are puzzles, some are mysterious labyrinths, some are missions. I believe that this form of VARIETY makes for the most interesting FPS.

If the game is all-shooting-spree, or all-repair-missions, or all-mazes, no way would I be interested.

AndrewB said:

If the game is all-shooting-spree, or all-repair-missions, or all-mazes, no way would I be interested.

These words are words of wisdom indeed!

Ct_red_pants said:

oh don't sell yourself short. everything you say is God's truth!

Where's Scuba Steve's "ANDREWB IS ALWAYS RIGHT! NOW IT!" image? We need it!

AndrewB said:

Here's a question...

If you disagree, why don't you actually disagree?

Because poking fun of you is more fun :-P

I personally am not going to worry about the new game.
Unless it's like the Wolfenstien 3D I got for Christmas that really ticked me off by having 'issues' with everything.
But let me put it simply....
I get to blow things away...right?
I get to destroy, maim, and annihilate...right?
You know, the simple things in life, as long as I have that...I'm fine.
Now someone give me the codes for everything....it's the only way I can survive it all on anything other than 'please don't hurt me'.
Nope, violent games don't warp MY brain!
moooahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

heh your more warped then me, and i killed my mothe.... I mean hey welcome to doomworld.

KimZ said:

I personally am not going to worry about the new game.
Unless it's like the Wolfenstien 3D I got for Christmas that really ticked me off by having 'issues' with everything.
But let me put it simply....
I get to blow things away...right?
I get to destroy, maim, and annihilate...right?
You know, the simple things in life, as long as I have that...I'm fine.
Now someone give me the codes for everything....it's the only way I can survive it all on anything other than 'please don't hurt me'.
Nope, violent games don't warp MY brain!
moooahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

k......

*backs away*

If you want cheats (I assume that is what you mean by codes), then go here