Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crix

Hope I see this on my screen soon!!

Ichor said:

Lighting up dark rooms and corridors I suppose.

Fists = last resort!

You both managed to fail it I see ;-)

The flashlight's primary purpose is to light up dark corridors all right, but they made it so that you can't use it in combination with a gun, hence they made it possible to bludgeon enemies with it. But if the flashlight's melee attack doesn't deal an amount of damage similar to the fists, people would just elect to go into the dark with a gun, but without light, because while you have the flashlight out, it's your "last resort" (well, not really) if you're attacked because you won't have time to pull out a gun and if it's worthless, there's no point to it anyway.

I mean, why bother giving the flashlight a melee attack if you give it a lesser damage rating than the fists? It'd be as useless as a flashlight with no melee attack.

Ultraviolet said:

The machine gun in that picture has a lot of the geometric characteristics of the P90 submachinegun, except that the P90 carries (was it 50 or 90 rounds?), teflon-coated .223 (I think) (non-magnum, unlike the common M16 rounds). Just something I noticed. It's the stock and the grip...

The Fabrique National (FN) P90 fires a 5.7 x 28 mm Auto round, holds a 50 round translucent polymer magazine, and has a "dot" sight on a lot of the models. IT DOES NOT COME MANUFACTURED WITH A SCOPE!!!!!1111111oneone

The 5.7 x 28 round is pretty nifty when it comes to piercing armor.
Also, the magazine is completely exposed on the P90, there's no place to "insert" the magazine; it slides neatly and smoothly along the top side of the frame. Also, P90's don't (to the best of my knowledge) come with a tactical foregrip.

True it would be a last resort weapon, my guess is its more powerful than your fist (but not by much), im definetly gonna use it on zombies and the weak enemies just to save ammo. I remember in doom when you run out of ammo from over usage, not a pretty picture when your stuck with your fists.

999cop said:

Looks like Rocket Launcher and Plasma Rifle won't be weapon #5 or #6 anymore...

I stopped counting on that two years ago.

Possible weapon hierarchy not counting flashlight:

1. Fist/Chainsaw
2. Pistol
3. Shotgun(/db shotgun)
4. Machinegun
5. Chaingun
6. Grenades
7. Rocket Launcher
8. Plasma Rifle
9. BFG 9k
10. Soul Reaver...errr...cube

You know, I've hit people with maglites, and I've hit them with my fists. I'll take the maglite.

auxois said:

You know, I've hit people with maglites, and I've hit them with my fists. I'll take the maglite.

Solidity and smaller impacting surface... hell, can you imagine what it would be like to hold a mini-mag battery-feed-end down and jab somebody in the chest with it? You could probably shatter the sternum...

auxois said:

The old Doomguy's fists > The Doom 3 marine's fists
The old marine had brass knuckles - that'd count for something.

Just felt like pointing that out, don't mind me.

Nice screenshot and for some reason it just reminded me of something (I think it was the fist being on there?). But one thing that I really hope is in Doom III is being able to change from right handed to left handed (remember in Quake 2 you could change? Oh and the Doomguy is ambidextrous too. He uses his left sometimes like his fist and the pistol for example. Since I'm ambidextrous I enjoyed playing Quake 2 just as much as a right handed person would when I was playing with my left hand. It didn't look awkard. Oh but then in Quake 3 there's just no way to change it. It's torture playing with the character holding the gun on the opposite hand. If there is a way to change it someone please say so.) and it shouldn't even be that hard. Infact it should be illegal to not have this

Ichor said:

That had better be 5 rockets per round, not 5 rockets total like in Half-Life.

Well it only says "Holds 8 shells" for the shotgun,And you can't tell me that the max for shotgun ammo is 8.

mje said:

Wouldn't that only mean that you can only fire 8 rounds before you HAVE to reload?

Yes, and similarly, you can only fire five rockets until you'll have to reload the rocket launcher. At least I'm convinced it's that way - if Id had a rocket launcher that you only had five rockets for total, that would be very "un-Id Software" of them.

dsm said:

You both managed to fail it I see ;-)

The flashlight's primary purpose is to light up dark corridors all right, but they made it so that you can't use it in combination with a gun, hence they made it possible to bludgeon enemies with it. But if the flashlight's melee attack doesn't deal an amount of damage similar to the fists, people would just elect to go into the dark with a gun, but without light, because while you have the flashlight out, it's your "last resort" (well, not really) if you're attacked because you won't have time to pull out a gun and if it's worthless, there's no point to it anyway.

I mean, why bother giving the flashlight a melee attack if you give it a lesser damage rating than the fists? It'd be as useless as a flashlight with no melee attack.

becuase of the lighting engine wouldnt firing a gun light up the dark anyway? so yeah i would go in the dark with a gun.

TH-555 said:

becuase of the lighting engine wouldnt firing a gun light up the dark anyway? so yeah i would go in the dark with a gun.

Yeah but only for a brief moment and only the immediate area in front of you.
That won't offer you more than a quick glimpse and imps in Doom 3 are FAST!

Plus, Id said that ammo is much more limited - you don't have enough ammo to afford you the luxury of randomly firing your gun inside a dark room for a slight bit of light.

I'd use the flashlight, head in there and try to lure the enemies lurking inside out into the light where I'll retreat and pull out the guns.

have to admit that when i first saw the graphic i thought it was being displayed on some sort of funky long-screen monitor. the fonts and general design of the poster look totaly in-game.

Do you think it will have a second mouse option to reload the ammos you've picked up along the way or you can only reload the gun as you walk up to ammos when they are used up?