Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CelT

APRIL 15

Szymanski said:

may be old, pcgamer says May release

Gamesradar says May release, PC Gamer says "scheduled to be available" in May, which would be compatible with an April release :P

That's in german, could someone translate the key parts to english? The guy asked John Carmack something about April and what did he say?

StRiKeR said:

That's in german, could someone translate the key parts to english? The guy asked John Carmack something about April and what did he say?

He basically provided the usual response: "It's really only done when it's done".
And then he said that they don't wanna release a product filled with bugs as it will hurt the reputation of the company.

He also says: "Das kann sich vielleicht noch bis Mitte oder sogar Ende des Jahres hinziehen"

Or in English: "This [process of testing] can take till the Middle or the End of the year"

New prediction....Christmas 2004.

I don't know how valid this interview is. This quote is not very believable (I hope)[quote]

Carmack said:

...you'll need a graphics card with at least 128MB RAM and Pixel-Shader 1.1, better would be 2.0 of course and you're CPU should run with at least 2,5 Ghz for the game's physics and shadows. Performance differences between nVidias FX cards and ATIs 9x00s boards should be very low.

Taken from http://www.planetdoom.com/ Update: After reading this information, we asked id software for confirmation and they have replied saying that the information that appeared in the article is totally false and a fabrication on the magazine's part.

Ive asked my game supplier, they are one of the biggest in Canada, and especially Toronto. They say there is nothing for april for Doom3. They always have the releases 1 month early for shipping, payment and inventory reasons. So best guess says it isn't April 15th for sure. Damn that really really sucks.

screw it! I'm just gonna quit thinking about it and will be surprised on my 50th bday when both Doom3 and HL2 are released after 20 years of "working out the bugs". Sob...depression..done and over with already!! I know making a game is hard but DAMMIT!! Get it over with already jeez..

Zoost said:

Taken from http://www.planetdoom.com/ Update: After reading this information, we asked id software for confirmation and they have replied saying that the information that appeared in the article is totally false and a fabrication on the magazine's part.

Thought so. Something about John Carmack personally giving out an interview to a German magazine, instead of making a clear statement in his plan file as usual, didn't really seem plausible to me.

Beating a dead horse here, but just got this e-mail this morning from GameStop of a change of ship date. Yeah, it's all "unofficial" but it seems like the retailers are tending to push out their projected ship dates:

Dear Customer,

You have signed up to receive release date changes for:

DOOM 3

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=644930&affid=1

Old Release Date - 5/3/2004
New Release Date - 7/1/2004

Thank you for visiting GameStop.com!
The World's Largest Selection of Gaming Products!

NOTE: The product release date is the best estimate as to when the product will become available. These dates are subject to change at anytime.
GameStop.com is in constant communication with product vendors to provide you with the most accurate release dates possible.

Fuck. I'm not sure that Doom3 will ever be able to live up to all of our expectations now. Christmas 2004? WTF?!!!!!

Crix said:

Fuck. I'm not sure that Doom3 will ever be able to live up to all of our expectations now. Christmas 2004? WTF?!!!!!

Didn't you read, that interview was falsified. It won't take that long. I mean, it might, but I think it'll be out b4 the next E3 or just a little thereafter.

Crix said:

I imagine the game itself will live up to our expectations. It's the obsession some of us (including myself) have with the release date. I happened to find a cure, or pacifier anyway. In my quest to know every rumour possible, I accidentally came across the recently released demo for Unreal Tournement 2004. It's the balls. Anyway, THAT game has gone gold and is will officially be in stores on 3/15/04. So - I've been playing the demo (lots of free servers available for internet play) and plan on buying that game in a few days when it's out. Since I've started playing UT2004 I've been able to put Doom on the mental back burner for now. Thank god!!!!
If this helps just one of us overly obsessive doom addicts, then I'll feel I've contibuted something to society!!

I dont really give a fuck when its released because right now I'm going to tell you the series of events that will happen with me.
I have a piece of shit computer, I will not get a new computer able to run doom 3 for another century. When I do get a system to run it the game will not be available to buy anywhere in the world and will be so old that I wouldent wanna play it anyway... my conclusion fuck it.

Tyockell said:

I dont really give a fuck when its released because right now I'm going to tell you the series of events that will happen with me.
I have a piece of shit computer, I will not get a new computer able to run doom 3 for another century. When I do get a system to run it the game will not be available to buy anywhere in the world and will be so old that I wouldent wanna play it anyway... my conclusion fuck it.

For $180 bucks you can play it on the XBOX when it comes out.

Tyockell said:

Quit going out on saturday evenings, drinking till you drop - you'll save an assload of money that way :-P

j/k

dsm said:

Quit going out on saturday evenings, drinking till you drop - you'll save an assload of money that way :-P

j/k

Lol thats some mighty fine advice Dsm I'll give it a try but im not making any promises :-P.

Tyockell said:

That's no way to be, my friend.

Quick and simple fix for yuo!!11one:;.

1. Get a job.
2. Buy an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo.
3. Spend $428.95 on a comparatively cheap, but totally efficent and high-quality Asus V9980 GeForce FX 5950 (get it at UpgradeSource.com)
4. Pick up between 768 megs - 1.5 gigs of RAM.
5. Insert mobo and video card into ATX form factor older case, and use the other components from the old motherboard.
6. Use old motherboard as a paperweight, target for gun practice, aphrodysiac, etc...
7. Get a new processor if needed.

Total cost = $600 - 1,000. Cheaper than an Area-51 PC made exclusively for gaming.

Laguna said:

2. Buy an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo.
3. Spend $428.95 on a comparatively cheap, but totally efficent and high-quality Asus V9980 GeForce FX 5950 (get it at UpgradeSource.com)
4. Pick up between 768 megs - 1.5 gigs of RAM.
7. Get a new processor if needed.

Total cost = $600 - 1,000. Cheaper than an Area-51 PC made exclusively for gaming.

A) An ABit NF7 will do everything you need without all the frills and extras (and cost) of that ASUS board.

B) Radeon9800Pro cards are down to $200 now, and there isn't enough of a difference between it and the FX5950 to justify that extra $200. Besides, Radeons have better image quality.

C) 512MB of RAM should be just fine, but 128MB of RAM on the vid card is recommended.

D) New processors are good, but you don't need something obscenely fast - a 1.7-2.2 GHz processor should be more than adequate.

E) NEVER throw away previous components unless they're outdated by over 5 or 6 years. If your new components fail, you need a backup, and you might be able to assemble a secondary box out of the old stuff anyway.

F) Stop recommending expensive component overkill.

The Abit NF7-S is about the same price as the A7N8X-E and has better BIOS configuration options as well.

Besides, I'd much rather have the Nvidia Soundstorm audio chip from the NF7-S and A7N8X-E than the tin can crap on the NF7, and the Soundstorm is pretty fucking good.

I essentially agree with the rest of your post though.

Here's the system I'm putting together:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo (supports 400 mhz FSB)
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (2.2 ghz @ 400 mhz FSB)
About 1 gig of PC2100 DDR SDRAM (I'm not spending $500 - $1,000 for 4400!)
2 Western Digital 80 gig HDs
DVD-RW/CD-RW
Dinky Floppy Drive
Zip Drive
Samsung SyncMaster Dynaflat 19" monitor (this will be my second @ $200)
Logitech USB Optical Mouse (I love those things, I have one of them already)
Logitech Keyboard
Asus V9980 GeForce FX 5950 256 mb DDR

After that, I swear to fucking God I will NEVER build another computer within the next 10 years. 'nuff said.

Total cost: (about) $1,600 - 2,200 depending on where components are purchased.

P.S: About the other "components" issue... I was encouraging the other guy to KEEP his components and just swap them between motherboards!

Also, to gatewatcher:

"I concur with you, my African-American brother."

To Arioch: Thanks for reminding me about that gay integrated chipset for sound. Yes it supports Dolby 5.1's surround features, but I'm going to buy a nice Sound Card and Speaker Setup if funds permit... Probably a Creative Labs SB Audigy Platinum... About $200 last time I checked... Thank God I've got enough dough today! Right now my mobo, CPU, and cooling kit are en route to my house in Brainerd, so things will pick up pretty quick! The vid. card is also on its way soon, ships out in a day or two. The thing I dislike about the FX 5950 though is the fact that it takes yet ANOTHER 12 volt lead from the power supply, and those things just piss me the fuck off when the clutter all my shit up in my case.

Arioch said:

the tin can crap on the NF7

That's why you're supposed to buy an M-Audio Revolution card instead, dude. :) I wasn't recommending he go for sub-par sound!

Actually, ASUS' A7N8X-E Deluxe has a lot of nice features:

C.O.P (CPU Overheating Protection)
Vocal POST notification (instead of LEDs, beeps, or an expensive POST card, you get a voice message telling you what you fucked up this time)
Handy BIOS update software
And a shit load of software packages... And more features... I can't think of them all right now.

I got mine yesterday, put it in the case here at school, added the processor... I keep mixing up the model number! It's an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ operating at 2.2 ghz with a 400 mhz FSB... Very nice.

Also, the SATA and RAID controller configs are a nice bonus, especially if you're running a server or a node on a workstation. I'd like to get ahold of one of their WiFi-b cards whenever they're out (I can't find any for sale with the ASUS mobo). The thing that really annoys me though is the placement of their IEEE 1394 connecters, being right next to the PCI slots is a pain in the ass and I had to be very meticulous in placing the cables between the PCI slots.

AGP Pro (8X) is nice at 2.12 gb/s bandwidth transfer, that and the new vid. card make a pretty good gaming machine. I don't have enough funding to buy any NICE high-quality, good warranty RAM so the best deal I've found so far is a Kingston PC3200 @ 1 gig for $192 on UpgradeSource. I guess all I need now is a hard drive, CD-RW, Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse. The audio can wait, I can handle the onboard audio, it has surround sound support, so all the other bells and whistles can wait a little longer.

I'd really recommend this setup if you're looking for good performance on the new stuff coming out this year. Perhaps some other people would prefer other setups, but this one is perfectly acceptable for Doom3.

[EDIT] Fucking Macs...

I went cheaper than you.

I bought a XP Barton 2500 and OC'd it to 3200 by just upping the FSB from 166 to 200.

But I did go dual channel with 2 sticks of 512MB Corsair PC3200s.

I did this with 2 machines, one with an NF7-S and one with an A7N8X-E.

I'M THO THTUPID!!!!1111oneoneone

*cries*

Ah well... Just more bang for our buck either way, huh Arioch?

But then again, I never settle for second best, or even 1.00000000009 best. Not to say your system isn't good, but I just went nuts and decided to buy the highest quality parts and components I could.

Although, I'd prefer the GeForce FX 5950 over the 9800 CUZ I DEE SED SO AND TAH TIS TEH BOTAM LIEN KTHX [/annoying fanboy]

Although, hey, JC did say the Nvidia cards provide better performance and quality than the ATI cards for Doom3, and he did test them both out, as I recall an article he put up (in his .plan I think?) about how they performed on Doom3.

[EDIT]: Just having a faster clock speed won't always give the best performance though, the Frontside Bus speed on the MB always helps when it is over 266, especially if you do wacky shit on it like I do. In either case, meh... We'll both just have nice rigs to play Doom3 on!

[[EDIT] [EDIT]]: Also, setting your external data bus speed on your motherboard when the CPU can't handle it will just cause more problems for you and potential heating problems if it's not rated for that... Not to mention it voids your warranty as well (at least most times). The FSB jumpers on the A7N8X-E Deluxe is set at a factory default of 400 mhz, which will scale down to a minimum of 200.

Laguna said:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo (supports 400 mhz FSB)
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (2.2 ghz @ 400 mhz FSB)
About 1 gig of PC2100 DDR SDRAM (I'm not spending $500 - $1,000 for 4400!)
2 Western Digital 80 gig HDs
DVD-RW/CD-RW
Dinky Floppy Drive
Zip Drive
Samsung SyncMaster Dynaflat 19" monitor (this will be my second @ $200)
Logitech USB Optical Mouse (I love those things, I have one of them already)
Logitech Keyboard
Asus V9980 GeForce FX 5950 256 mb DDR

Omg same graphics card as me :D
How through my new computer will be:
Aopen 600b box
Gigatebyte 8IK1100 motherboard
P4 Northwood 3ghz
1gb corsair pc3200 Ram
Asus Geforcefx 5950 256mb
Westen Digital sata150 7200(RPM) 120gb
AOC 19" (1600x1200) monitor
Icemat Mousepad Black & Microsoft Explorer 3.0 Bundle (Icemat's website)
some random keyboard with extra special keys.