Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rob McKai

The Secret Levels In Doom 3

gemini09 said:

Dsm, I disagree with practically everything you said. I personally don't think id Software is the kind of company to follow trends, as you suggested.

Doom 3 is following the industry standard for FPSes in every way I can imagine.

trends? everyone follows trends. thats how you make better games, borrowing good ideas from other people. unless you are bungie, in which case you invent these good ideas.

TH-555 said:

trends? everyone follows trends. thats how you make better games, borrowing good ideas from other people. unless you are bungie, in which case you invent these good ideas.

What utterly original, never-invented-before good ideas are these, pray tell?

Following trends is not how you make better games in my opinion, because experimentation is key to the evolution of a media.

Id needs to follow trends? lol I'd say more than half the trends around as far as FPS' (and many other 3D games) wouldn't exist were it not for Id software!

AndrewB said:

Doom 3 is following the industry standard for FPSes in every way I can imagine.

In every way? Definitely not. From what we know, it does for example not:

- Include vehicles just for the sake of it (even if the engine supports vehicles).
- Feature vast outdoor areas just to show off the engine.
- Base the game in a real-world enviromnent like it is pretty standard for FPSes nowadays (HL2, Far Cry, Stalker, all the WW2 shit...)
- Feature only human enemies with realistic weapons and oh so great AI.

Tetzlaff said:

...vehicles...

We don't need no stinking badgers!

Let vehicles stay where they belong - Unreal Tournament 2004, Grand Theft Auto, and Half-Life 2.

However, seeing the vehicles in a modification for Doom3 as a story parallel to the storyline would be sexy. In any case, I think yes, vehicles would be cool, but really are not necessary. And, not to mention, the game takes place on Mars where the environment is more enclosed (minus a few large outdoors areas).

I did´nt meant to say that there should be vehicles in Doom3 - they would´ nt fit Doom at all.

Vehicles in Quake4 will be cool though, because it goes well with the futurist war setting of the game.

I can't believe there aint a single screeny for Quake 4! i mean its supposed to be out in Autumn aint it? I hope that has an engaging single player like doom's supposed to, i really enjoyed Quake 2 compared with the other 2, it really did reming me of doom in some ways.

Lectrix said:

I can't believe there aint a single screeny for Quake 4! i mean its supposed to be out in Autumn aint it?

Who said that? There hasnt even been a vague hint at a release date for Q4. Probably some time after Doom3, but that doesn´t say much.

There were some leaked concept sketches and high-poly renders of Q4 available, various Stroggs, a marine, vehicles... looked pretty cool.