Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

To Zaldron / Other tech-guys...

Ermm well I'm no tech guy but I've been awake for a solid 48 hours so I might as well take a stab at this too.

* That cage thingy on the left has a nice techy texture near the bottom that reminds me of Quake2. Bumpmapped, of course.

* Look at all the holes in the floor. There's even an outline around the holes where the metal's started to melt. I'm guessing this is pre-defined - or controlled by a really detailed script.

* The round Quake2-ish particles look weird... I hope they improve that. Or maybe it can be explained as oxygen escaping, or something.

THAT I need to see. So ID officialy is releasing DOOM 3? Awsome! But one of my friends says that in PC Gamer they wrote that D3 would be a Mac only game. Is this true? Or is he a Dumb Shit like Disorder?

P.S. I don't have anything against you, Disorder, I'm just reading your label.

Pure shit. Why would id do that? Their entire fanbase's on PCs. There will be simultaneous releases on Linux and Mac, but we all know that's 0.5% of the sales.

All games run faster on Linux, because it doesn't have to work equally much on resources like Windows 98 or 2000.

I think we can learn something about the robustness of the physics simulation. Assuming that the clip is not COMPLETELY prescripted, and the player is allowed to operate in the same sort of environment:

1. We can probably knock things over, and move things we run into.
2. It looks like fire can spread, and has some permanence. For instance, in the original Doom, you shot a barral, there was a short explosion, and that was it. In Doom3, perhaps you can shoot a barrel, and the fire spreads and forms a barrier between you and the monster, or traps you in a room, or something...
3. Deciding where you can and can't go probably isn't going to be as strait forward as it used to be. There's just so much "stuff" there! It won't be like Quake, where you can see "here's the big wall, and that big rectangle is the floor." It'll be-- "here's a pile of stuff, do I walk around it or over it...?"

I don't play games much, so this is probably stuff that already occurs in games, and probably sounds stupid to point out.

I know for sure they will be coding a specil physics system. Not sure how powerful it will be, but I would be deeply satisfied if id licensed the Havok system.

The grammar police is busy working out Sephiroth's "Heritic".

Havok's a commercial physics engine, licensed for several games and other apps like MAX. It basically sports ANY feature a game needs and more. Imagine having different dynamic and static friction coeficients for each poly...