Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zygar

So, what's your first map gonna be?

I'll start simple with test maps and such,

Then, to pursue my dream of creating my own doomed space colony, complete with all the technical-goodies...

I still cannot fathom the possibilities.

Doom III isnt just a game, I would call it the first UNIVERSAL source port for every genre

in the beginning I just play with the shadowing!! and then I gonna find out how to build something with the texturing, looks very hard to do!

Lord FlatHead said:

He did say "there is no IMMERSION in fluids", which I interpreted as "water doesn't add much coolness to a scene, so we haven't spent much time on cool water effects, though Duffy has come up with something neat".

Hmmm, I doubt it. that would be VERY weird workding, although going back and listening he did say *Immersion* not subermersion I apologize

Im 98% sure that he meant theres Litterally no water in the single player game that you can dive into

Theres other concerns in making water, bubles, tracers, gun effects, time limits, visibility concerns in the editor etc. A mod could do it, but its difficult, and mod makers tend not to try to do ambitious things like that for some reason.

My first map will be the most epic adventure that has ever has been created, it will feature the all new xr-12 assault rifle, made entirely from scratch by cutting and pasting random doom 1 and 2 graphics onto an 8 sided cylinder in lightwave. I will use doom 3 and compile it into a block, with 4 of the sides being bump maps. Here is a diagram of the map.

|----------------------------------|
|...............................................|
|................0..............................|
|PLAYER-->-|-.............................|
|.............../.\.......===<--XR 12.....|
|----------------------------------|

In all seriousness, I plan on making e1m1 from the first doom to get a feel for the lighting, gameplay, and artwork needed. No need to think about an original map design.

Wobbo said:

Theres other concerns in making water, bubles, tracers, gun effects, time limits, visibility concerns in the editor etc. A mod could do it, but its difficult, and mod makers tend not to try to do ambitious things like that for some reason.

Certain things dont get quite as good of results without having direct access to the engines code.ie Tenebrae for quake 1 is completely impossible to do with quakeC. Maybe doom 3 materials will help the process, if anyone decides to attempt this enhancement.

I'm gonna probably "re-interpret" E1M9... It has the barebones structure to accomodate Doom 3 architecture.

Probably some random bits of incoherent level to test out terrain, lighting, physics, etc. Then I'll tackle some real stuff. Hopefully my Unreal/Far Cry experience comes in handy.

Surprised with all this talk of noob map design nobody has decided to include Ye Olde CybereDemone in there somewhere.

I'll probably make NUTS for Doom3, but not be able to release it, as my computer melts into a thick, gooey mess.

what about e4m2 recreated? that would kick ass if i add a big section to it. and after that, i got something so special i ain't gonna even say it. ;)

Most likely remake a Kill map for Doom3 (E1M7 maybe or one of the newer ones no one has seen yet from E3). Or play with new mod ideas I've had for the past few weeks.

It pisses me off that Doom 3 is cramped for the Xbox port, so I'm glad that all of you fine mappers are on the job.

Arno said:

I doubt that. There's lava in Doom3, which means there are liquids, which means a mapper should be able to produce some water in a Doom3 map.
I personally can't imagine that all the Doom3 mappers will be left without an option to add water to their maps. Or nukage. It's unthinkable.

Your logic is faulty. Lava is instakill, surely. This means there may be no depth to it. I'm at least 8 hours into the game and have seen no water, and I doubt there will be any, but hopefully the engine allows for it.

I'm gonna do the ultimate re-make of my classic dm wad known as Ohgr's Doom, complete with Hell Spawner (if there is one lol).

Just kidding. Seriously I am. I looked at the editor and I can't even figure out how to make a single squared room yet. And besides, I learned my little lesson about my last and only project. I was so ashamed, I went in exile until today heh.

Anyway, I had an idea for a tc, A remake of Sonic Doom. HAHA. I'd love to see how that one would look.