Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zygar

My future gaming machine- need comments.

Hi there, I'm building a new computer within the next 2 months and so far have picked out these components (prices are in NZD. $1NZ is worth about $0.60USD.)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ = $528 pp.co.nz

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo Platinum: $264 ascent.co.nz

RAM: 2x Corsair 512MB PC3200 DDR (400Mhz) CL2 Memory with Platinum Heat Spreader: $452 pp.co.nz

Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 172X = $1008 ascent.co.nz

Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce 6800 GT video card, 256MB DDR3, GeForce 6800 GT, 8XAGP, VIVO, DVI: $825 ascent.co.nz

PSU: Antec 550w ATX dual fan: $250 ascent.co.nz

Optical: Sony CRX320A Retail 52x32x52x 16xDVD Internal IDE: $128 pp.co.nz

Case: Antec Super Lanboy ATX case: $223 ascent.co.nz

Mouse: Logitech MX510: $108 ascent.co.nz

Keyboard: Logitech Elite Keyboard: $96 ascent.co.nz

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital Raptors WD740D 74GB 10000rpm: $886 ascent.co.nz

Misc storage: Sony MPF920B, 1.44MB, Internal, Floppy Disk Drive, Black: $20 ascent.co.nz

Audio output: Zalman ZM-RS6F Theatre 6 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Headphones: $91

Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 PCI OEM: $156 pp.co.nz

Anyway, what do you think? I'm basing this around Doom 3 and running it really well. I'm currently deciding whether to keep the 2 raptors or just have 1, using it for Windows and games, and use another bigger hard drive for files and applications. Dunno how much effect not having the 2 raptors would have on loading times and game performance.

EDIT: Oh shit, wrong forum. Can someone please move this to the "Everything else" forum? thanks.

Let me know how you like that Super Lanboy case, I've been thinking about that case myself.

-E

I'd be getting the Dell 2001FP LCD with that. No ghosting, 21 inches, sexy. And cheaper IIRC.

Zygar said:

This is NZD remember. It works out to about $3327USD.

Yeah, I mean in america everyone has that kind of money to toss around.

Well, we sold our old house and are nearly finished building our new one, and this computer just comes as part of the house cost. Therefore we pay it off with mortgage I believe. Even if we don't, my parents know that I need a decent computer and are willing to pay that much if some components (aka: screen) don't need upgrading later on.

Someones got money to burn... hey there goes a burning bill in the wind now.