Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cloud4me

All the monsters and Boss list

Crisis King said:

That list has to be bullshit. Don't believe it to the game actually comes out...No spidermastermind? WTF?

The guy(s) who writes the strategy guide gets his copy early so that the guide will come out NEAR THE SAME TIME the game does.

Why would you want it later?

By the time you could gain access to the guide, the game would be beat - so what would be the point of even HAVING a strategy guide?

Oh, and I agree that having no spider mastermind is one BIG fucking negative-point for me......

sure they may have changed some stuff, but sometimes change is good, or its all just the same with better graphics...

dark santaclaus said:

AND WHO TELL YA THAT THE HEAD BEHIND THE DOOR IS NOT THE CYBIE, NOBODY HAVE SEEN THE CYBIE!!!

I have. And that thing is NOT the cyberdemon the cyberdemon has horns dammit.

Disorder said:

No Spider Mastermind and an invulnerable Cyberdemon. That's disappointing.

Yeah, I'd rather have the old-school bosses instead of these new things, but oh well, maybe change is good.

But seriously the Cyberdemon is a bull/robot/demon thing with horns, how cool is that? I don't think that changing this is very good. I think maybe ID should've stuck to the old school style of Doom just a tad more.

Well there are lost souls, so MAYBE there's a pain elemental and id just hasn't told us yet...but that's probably just wishful thinking :(

The Cacodemon doubles as the Pain Elemental now.And I think the SSG was scraped because it doesn't fit in with the modern feel at all,WOW A SINGLE SHOT MANUAL LOADING SAWED OFF SHOTGUN,I'M GLAD I FOUND THIS ON THIS MOON BASE IN THE YEAR 2156!

what the hell is this talk of cybies head behind door? ive not seen such things. was that one some video?

Caco-Puff said:

The Cacodemon doubles as the Pain Elemental now.And I think the SSG was scraped because it doesn't fit in with the modern feel at all,WOW A SINGLE SHOT MANUAL LOADING SAWED OFF SHOTGUN,I'M GLAD I FOUND THIS ON THIS MOON BASE IN THE YEAR 2156!

They still could of fit it in somehow and plus DB sawed off's have been used for over 130 years and keep going they proove to be a very fearsome weapon and I know will be around for a long time to come.

chubz said:

OMG.

NO BARON OF HELL.

NO SPIDER MASTERMIND.

WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING!?

RESPONSE 2 - Same here man. No combat shotgun? What is going on here!?

Jesus Christ.......

RESPONSE 3 - Yea, that was some of my favorite concept art too - and they leave the goddamned thing OUT!?

Anybody got any tissues handy?

chubz said:

Also that cyber demon thing is a VERY BIG letdown too.

You must fight him using only one weapon? What!???

You mean you actually have to use your BRAIN in this game? WHAT!???

Are people blind? the baron of hell in doom classic looked exactly like, thats right, the hellknight, only the colour was diffrent.

Guess what, the baron of hell in doom3 looks the same as the hellknight, only the baron of hell has pentagram cuts and scars on his body, and the hellknight doesn't

I don't think any of us expected id to make the baron a recolor job of the hk this time around. I still think that's just an hk variant.

I don't believe this! No Spider Mastermind or Baron?!!! ARGH!!!

This had better not be true

I like the Cacodemon design and i'm glad it made it in, but I dont like how they combined it with Pain Elemental and gave it a bunch of eyes (Cacodemon was always my favorite for his 1 eye).

The bosses look average and the cyberdemon is okay, but could of been better (something less.. plain).

I also think the original Arch-Vile design was better (looked closer to the original).

Also disappointed about Arachnotrons being gone (as far was we know, atleast).

The rest look pretty good, though (except the goddamn spiders, WHY spiders, they and crates are the bane of FPS games).

Spider Mastermind -> Vagary
Arachnotron -> Trite/Tick

Disappointed by the uninspired styling of the monsters, but I like a few of the boss creatures, and the Mancubus in particular. The original Doom's monsters were very distinctive, whereas most of these ones look very plain indeed (particularly the Imp).

[EDIT]
Fact is, the new hires at id were in charge of the monster rendering. Thus, the "classic" id enemy design is gone for good unfortunately. Welcome to the realms of mediocrity!

After watching the videoes people have been passing around, I dont like the monster sound effects too much. Cyberdemon's voice sounds really lame and generic (like something you'd hear on a cartoon) and the Cacodemons make a bunch of goofy squeaky noises.

Trilinear said:
Thus, the "classic" id enemy design is gone for good unfortunately.

It's not like one thing replaces the other. Although I can gauge you aim at the idea of "it's not here," often these comments seem to echo "it was replaced by something else." As if we were now forced to play DOOM 3 instead of DOOM and DOOM II, or something.

myk said:

It's not like one thing replaces the other. Although I can gauge you aim at the idea of "it's not here," often these comments seem to echo "it was replaced by something else." As if we were now forced to play DOOM 3 instead of DOOM and DOOM II, or something.

I'm all for new material, and had no expectations that the new monsters would mirror their predecessors in every way.

I simply think certain monsters could have been better designed, even if the originals never existed.

Well, the Spider Mastermind and Pain Elemental could have been better designed, but hey...

Anyway, from what I've seen, it would seem that the biggest changes in enemy design are for those that most people thought were either too annoying or badly designed.

I have seen many a thread talk about how easy it was to defeat the Spider Mastermind, even from a pistol start on that map. It isn't even remotely challenging if you carry over the BFG from the previous maps. I'm guessing that the Vagary is id's attempt to make it more of a challenge, and to make it scarier. The Spider Mastermind really wasn't that scary anyway, just...big.

The most annoying thing about the Pain Elemental wasn't that it spat out Lost Souls. The problem is that's all it could do. If there are too many Lost Souls in a map, it becomes completely harmless. On the other hand, since it only has one attack, it uses it constantly like other enemies (Imps throwing fireballs, Hell Knights throwing green blobs, etc.), and after a short while, the room becomes filled with Lost Souls, half of which are attacking each other anyway (map 23 is a perfect example). Combining the Pain Elemental with the Cacodemon may actually be a good idea. It keeps the cool Lost Soul spewing effect, but makes it less annoying, since it's no longer its only attack (although I'm still not quite sure how it works yet).

Well, but you have to admit that the new mancubus looks like a fish mixed with a Strogg, the sketch of the spidermastermind was really cool (with a great potential to be scary), and the lack of Baron of Hell definetly is a bad thing (Why they kept the Hell Knight instead of the Baron? That's weird). Oh and the Caco, I'm sure that everyone expected to see something bigger, specially considering that it's in the place of the Pain Elemental and Cacodemon.

I hope that they are reserving the spidermastermind for a mission pack.

Yea that is what I was thinking cause the amount of money that you can make on mission packs or expansion packs is so great for doom 3 I would be surprised if they didn't make at least one expansion pack for the game. Or licenced it to another developer so they could do it.

Goliath said:

Or licenced it to another developer so they could do it.

Yeah, I hope someone like Raven or Ritual (again) picks it up. I'd love to see what they'd do with the Doom3 engine.

Someone please tell me that the chainsaw IS usable by the player, and not a zombie-exclusive weapon.