Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Some Doom 3 mapping info

I'm on an older gateway laptop and it's running windows xp. I found Doom3 auto run and clicked it then notpad opened and said open DOOM 3 setup so I did went through the motions and got to where it says "Unpacking Archives 0.0% " time remaining " and shows no time remaining. And It hasnt moved for a long time. How long does it take to do that. Any help would be appreciated btw it's my nephews laptop he found in his friends closet and his dad said take it . I was snooping around and found doom3 so of course I wanted to show him Doom

2 quick mapping questions: how do I set the color of a light texture (not the light itself but the texture for a light stuck on a surface?) Also, is there a way to do this outside radiant (running around in-game)?

If you just want to change the color of a normal D3 light entity?

Select the light entity, hit "J", change it's color, apply/ok, done..

-------------------------------------------------------

If you want to create your own light entity:

All you have to do is create a texture that you want your light entity to project.

Place the texture in the yourmodname/lights directory.

Then write a material script for it, eg:

lights/biglight1
{
   {
    forceHighQuality		
    map          lights/biglight1.tga
    zeroClamp
    colored
    red   0.9
    green 0.9
    blue  0.8
   }
}

Once you'v done that, add a light in your map, then hit "J" to bring up the light entity configuration dialog.

Then select your projection texture from the texture drop down list.

You will probably want to set the light as a projection also instead of a point light, depends how you want to use it though.

Btw, after creating a texture for a light and using it, changing the color of it might not do anything in the light configuration depending ont he amount of colors, your texture colors for your light are your colors heh.

But If it's just a normal white light texture, then you will be able to change it's rgb values, either from the light configuration or in script, like in the material script above.

------------------------------------------------

Have fun, :)

Your other question, you can actually do some modifying to entities in the game world, but it is restricted, if I remember right, only movement and radius. ~ and its material path?

At least that's how speakers worked, been awhile since I've messed with it.

Cheers

Edited by Mr.Rocket

I was going to go through existing maps and replace the textures with more suitable ones, and it would be easier I think if I could go through in-game and select them and change the path to another material or just change the color. I know the lights have RGB parameters passed to them that define their color, and I'm not sure how to change them in radiant or in-game.

9 hours ago, spamclark15 said:

I was going to go through existing maps and replace the textures with more suitable ones, and it would be easier I think if I could go through in-game and select them and change the path to another material or just change the color.

The easiest way would be to simply select a brush face from within the editor and change the path of a given texture there, or create custom material scripts and textures.

You say in-game, however, in the editor do you not have a real-time cam where you can edit said textures visually?

9 hours ago, spamclark15 said:

I know the lights have RGB parameters passed to them that define their color, and I'm not sure how to change them in radiant or in-game.

It's been awhile since I've used GtkRadiant but In Doomed, after you load your map, select a light entity, and then press J. It was either J or K in GtkRadiant.

A dialog should pop up where you can change the color of the light source.

I'm sure you know that you'll have to BSP compile and save your map, or your changes won't be apparent in-game. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

17 hours ago, SWORDLION said:

I can provide any type of tutorials regarding the DOOMEdit if anyone needs here.Here's my tutorial map I published a few years ago.

https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/downloads/doomedit-ultimate-tutorial

and I'm currently working on a big 3 level campaign level-set for Doom 3.

Isn't DarkRadiant the standard for Doom 3 mapping now? The original Doom 3 level editor barely even works properly on modern machines/OS.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:46 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

Isn't DarkRadiant the standard for Doom 3 mapping now? The original Doom 3 level editor barely even works properly on modern machines/OS.

We use the Vanilla Doom 3 editor for making Phobos ever since we started the project. Never had any issues with making it work all the way up to Win 10.

For anyone starting Doom 3 editing, in the media (texture) selector you may find lots of invalid entries, which are listed there but no longer exist in the game, and just stand in the way. I highly recommend this patch to get rid of them: (link removed by me because I realized it's not foolproof).

Edited by printz