Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
007craft

ALOT of questions I have

1. when people make mods (like the chainsaw Deathmatch mod) does every1 need to have it or just the host for it too work?
2. I know there are no custom levels for DM yet... But when there is... Will the maps auto-download from the server if you dont have them or do you need to go find the map on some site?
3. I heard there is some tweak to make the game go faster? like you edit your CFG file or something? what is it?
4. Any Tutorials on how to make Maps yet?
5. has Id said anything on when to excpect the first patch?
6. Will there ever bee a standalone map editor without the need to install the game?
7. How do I host a server more then 4 players.. NOT DEDICATED
8. is it possible to run 2 mods at a time? like suppose I want the pistol with flashlight mod and the Boddies stay mod both on?
9. To make the console show you push CTRL + ALT + ~. Then you can type com_showfps 1 to show your FPS and com_allowConsole 1 so you only have to push ~ instead of CTRL + ALT to bring up the console. Well, When I quit doom 3 and enter again com_showfps 1 is still active and wont go away untill I type com_showfps 0. well com_allowConsole is not active... how do I make this remain active permently?
10. Is there anyway I can organize my files? I dont like shoving custom maps into \Doom 3\base and mods into \Doom 3. I would much rather put them all orginized like \Doom 3\Mods\Sp mods or MP mods and same with the maps
11.when I play under a mod (like boddie stay) and autosave everything is fine... but when I switch back to doom 3 regular (no mod) and open the auto save it does not work and just takes me to the start of the level. is this so for every mod?
12. when I use the boddies stay mod.. MY FPS and everything is fine. then the boddies STILL degrade after like 3 mins tho. Why was this not done for doom 3 by the devlopers? also... whats really the point of ragdoll physics if the boddies are going to fade instantly when you kill them?
13.SDK... is there 1 or plans for 1?
14. The BFG... So If I charge this the blast is more powerful? and if I charge it too long then It blows up in my face?
15. Can you get weapons like the chainsaw, BFG and soulcube in multiplayer without mods? I dont think I saw any.
16. Can some1 explain what each of these does? it appears ID forgot to mention these options in the manual. like what does pure server mean? and the others...

thats it for now.. please answer as many as you know...
thanks.

When you say autosave, do you mean to say "quicksave"?

Btw your name is very familiar, gamefaqs perhaps?

9. To make the console show you push CTRL + ALT + ~. Then you can type com_showfps 1 to show your FPS and com_allowConsole 1 so you only have to push ~ instead of CTRL + ALT to bring up the console. Well, When I quit doom 3 and enter again com_showfps 1 is still active and wont go away untill I type com_showfps 0. well com_allowConsole is not active... how do I make this remain active permently?

Make yourself an autoexec.cfg file in your Base directory and add the line: seta "com_allowConsole" "1"

11.when I play under a mod (like boddie stay) and autosave everything is fine... but when I switch back to doom 3 regular (no mod) and open the auto save it does not work and just takes me to the start of the level. is this so for every mod?

Yes. How would the original game replicate the same effects as the mod if you didn't have it loaded? More than just the map position and stats are stored when you save the game.

12. when I use the boddies stay mod.. MY FPS and everything is fine. then the boddies STILL degrade after like 3 mins tho. Why was this not done for doom 3 by the devlopers? also... whats really the point of ragdoll physics if the boddies are going to fade instantly when you kill them?

So your memory won't run out because of all the bodies it has to keep cached, and to increase your FPS.

16. Can some1 explain what each of these does? it appears ID forgot to mention these options in the manual. like what does pure server mean? and the others...

Pure server means you can't connect to it if you don't have the same .pk4 files as the server. This helps prevent cheating or clients connecting with modded paks.

I was on gamefaqs forums as 007craft but I think I was banned when they change to the new style of site... I use to post in the poll of the day message board alot. and yes... i ment quicksave.

"So your memory won't run out because of all the bodies it has to keep cached, and to increase your FPS."

well with the mod the boddies still disapear after 3 mins so my FPS does not suffer. I mean ID did not have to make the boddies last forever, but to have them fade instantly instead of after 3 miniutes like the mod is so pointless and takes away some cool effects. Also your own shadow should be on by default in 1 player too (I turned mine on)

BTW thanks so far for the answers.

console trick worked :). Now heres some more Qs for you and others

17. How do I alt + tab? It does nto seem to work and CTrl + alt + delte can work but sometime the game will stop responding when I do that
18. With my autoexe.cfg ... Can I add the game to start with any console command?
19. So with pure server on, on my server....No1 can join with lets say custom skins or something so They dont have an unfair advantage? Also, if im playing a server with a mod... will the be able to join with pure server on? And I also assume allow server side mods means u need to have this option selected as YES if you want to play with a mod like all chainsaws?

007craft said:

I mean ID did not have to make the boddies last forever, but to have them fade instantly instead of after 3 miniutes like the mod is so pointless and takes away some cool effects.

Well, the performance is part of the issue I think, but the real reason is that the demons go back to hell once you destroy them - so their bodies fade out of existance because of that. Note that it doesn't happen with the zombies.

007craft said:

17. How do I alt + tab? It does nto seem to work and CTrl + alt + delte can work but sometime the game will stop responding when I do that

You can't do it reliably. This is normal behaviour for most games - nothing unusual.

007craft said:

19. So with pure server on, on my server....No1 can join with lets say custom skins or something so They dont have an unfair advantage?

Yes. I mean, if someone connected with a custom skin that was bright neon orange - surely he would have an advantage over other players because he could see them in the darkness. id brought this Pure Server stuff in on Quake II I think.

007craft said:

Also, if im playing a server with a mod... will the be able to join with pure server on? And I also assume allow server side mods means u need to have this option selected as YES if you want to play with a mod like all chainsaws?

Yeah I think it would support this. Quake 2 and 3 supported downloading custom skins and maps. Can't confirm that it will download mods as well but probably would.