Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bennett

Running Doom 3 on a laptop - post your stories here

Well, complain like there was no tomorrow if there really is less RAM on your laptop than advertised.

I'm planning on getting a Dell Inspiron 9100 with these specs:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3GHz with HT Tech, 15.4-in WXGA
1GB DDR 400MHz 2 DIMMs
128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700 AGP 8X Graphics
40GB Hard Drive

Will this be able to sufficiantly run Doom 3??? would i have any problems with the laptop heating up, and are there any drivers i would need to download? I'm new to this whole computer tech thing, sorry if i posted quetsions already answered.

I wouldnt try it....
My buddy has the exact same comp and card....its a piece of crap. The 32mb GeForce 5200 card on my Inspiron 5150 can run D3 better than THAT....

Doom 3 ran great on my Mobility Radeon 9600 with 64 megs of ram.

By "great" I mean it ran at the resolution I needed it to, which was 800x600 "medium".

By "needed it to" I meant that's the optimal resolution for hooking up the laptop to the 43" TV to play it.

games at 800x600 or even 640x480 look way better on a tv because it has less pixels. The pixels are bigger on a tv. Look closer, you can actually see them. So yea, games do look better on a tv (you dont need anti aliasing and such). This doesnt count for the latest plasma and LCD tv's because they do have small pixels and you can see that it's a low res.

Even better is a beamer (= projector). 800x600 is enough to give doom 3 the cinema experience :D