Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iDiablo

No liquids? No Swimming?

ID didn't include anything in Doom 3 that would change the games pace. Not much to discuss about.

Some underwater fights with wraiths and lost souls would've been pretty interesting.

id seems to do a good job of managing feature creep. Given the focus of the gameplay as it turned out, underwater sections wouldn't have added enough to justify what would have been involved in their implementation. And personally I think it wouldn't have fit in, thematically or gameplay...ically.

Pardon my asking but could you explain how swimming from air canister to air canister in a flooded hallway while shooting down incoming enemies is “thematically and gamatically” different then running across the Martian wasteland from air canister to air canister shooting down incoming enemies?

It's hard to imagine that happening. While some kind of coolant leak is possible (did it happen? I forget) the place was so torn up by the invasion there'd be nothing intact enough to trap it.

And there is a some radioactive goop at a few points, but it's wading at best.

I think they just circumvented the whole swimming aspect and replaced it with the "Running on the surface of Mars" bit. Same setup, different environment.

Where would there be water on UAC? I mean, there might be a pool with some fish in it, but it's not like the base is on a planet with overflowing water...

The Lost souls would be able to withstand the water. They're fuiled with hellfire. Which doesn't go out.

S1lent said:

Where would there be water on UAC? I mean, there might be a pool with some fish in it, but it's not like the base is on a planet with overflowing water...

Easy: One of the UAC Videos shows that they are creating pure fresh water out of iron oxide or the like.

Acid pits is a very original Doom element. I´d miss them in Doom3.

could you explain how swimming from air canister to air canister in a flooded hallway while shooting down incoming enemies is “thematically and gamatically” different then running across the Martian wasteland from air canister to air canister shooting down incoming enemies?

I just meant that the gameplay of Doom 3, like of Doom, is very straightforward and simple and that swimming around seems to subtly imply exploration where linearity and combat are otherwise emphasized. It's like the coded lockers - sure they have something that superficially resembles "puzzles", but in reality it's just a slight diversion.

And thematically, well, it's Mars. It's dry, it's dusty, it's hostile, and you're supposed to be in a big hurry. You're humping through man-made installations with the occasional sprint across the craggy surface. I don't think taking a dive into a swimming pool full of demon fish would fit in the flow.

What's the point of having big pools of water in this game? Think about the environment and you'll realize it wouldn't make sense for the context of the game. It's Mars. Did the polar ice cap melt?

Water is precious in space. I doubt there would be big pools of it just laying around...

yea its not like there are gonna be pools of water on mars.
also maybe it is in there. someone make a simple map and see if they can use a water, or fluid, brush.

i havnt messed with the editor much.

if not i really dont care. i am sure you will see lots of swimming in HL2

not to mention, even if your slug throwing weapons DID work underwater, their range would be SEVERELY diminished, water is much much denser than air. your energy weapons would probobly fry you instead of your enemies if you tried to shoot them and the chainsaw would definitely not work.

Godshatter said:

not to mention, even if your slug throwing weapons DID work underwater, their range would be SEVERELY diminished, water is much much denser than air. your energy weapons would probobly fry you instead of your enemies if you tried to shoot them and the chainsaw would definitely not work.

Since when is it common to ommit water in fps for the sake of realism??

im not saying they couldnt do it, you just wouldnt be able to fight anything in it except with ur flashlight or hand-to-hand

like in far cry you could only use the machete underwater.

if ID did water parts like the duct parts (you never get attacked in the ducts) then i think it would be fine... but to me it would feel out of place (and yes, i know it would in actuality be perfectly reasonable for there to be large quantities of water stores on the UAC base)

Of course there is alot of liquid in the game. Didn't you see all the blood and urine (from player first time playing Doom 3)? :-D

not a lot of water on mars. I hope the engine can handle water however. But we have to go into the editor to see if can or if it has it. Where is the editor anyway? I looked and could not find it. I can think of a game with lots off water but I am makeing an attempt to not mention it too much as I seem to be the only here who is a fan of it. I'll try honest.

Deathmatcher said:

Easy: One of the UAC Videos shows that they are creating pure fresh water out of iron oxide or the like.

Acid pits is a very original Doom element. I´d miss them in Doom3.

If they're making fresh water, than it would be a pool, a tank, or pipes. It wouldn't be in a lake inside the base or anything. Besides, even if there was water (in pipes big enough to swim in), then it would probably end up like the vents. No monsters to fight any only a few dead people inside them. The game could do as well without the water as it could with it.

Like deathmatcher said, UAC is making water out of the Mars soil itself, I would expect to see some water somewhere on the base.

However I'm glad there is not, swimming is lame in FPSs :)

BTW the slime in the recycling levels looks completely awesome, too bad there's no slimefalls though.

hehe, are you just trying to find things to rant about? i mean seroiusly, "WHERE IS ALL THE WATER FIGHTS!!" wtf is up with that, its, mars!. they didnt have any water fights in the origonal doom, and water fights in doom 3 would be pointless. the water wouldnt be very deep, and if it were it wouldnt be realistic, the game is fine without "waterfights" and besides, the surface of mars has the same-" lack of oxygen"- effect as goin through water would. so comon, y do you want them to put that in there anyway? or are you just naming things they didnt put in the game, like unicors and flying hippos.....

almost agree with a lot less vehemency ( not a word I know ). I think this thread would hold more WATER, if there was no water when the either doom4 or an xpack brings us to the earth portion of the battle.

Epyo said:

Like deathmatcher said, UAC is making water out of the Mars soil itself, I would expect to see some water somewhere on the base.

However I'm glad there is not, swimming is lame in FPSs :)

BTW the slime in the recycling levels looks completely awesome, too bad there's no slimefalls though.

I don't mean to be rude, but have you seen how big the base is? I mean, you barely see a portion of the entire base in the game. Next time you go on the monorail or any other way to view the base (noclip) take a look at how big the base is suppose to be (even on the videos).

Fuck water, if I'm gonna complain about lack of liquids, it's gonna be the lack of lava, slime or pools of boiling blood that hurts you.

It'd be nice if there be made an add-on pack which uses said liquids in some of its levels.

Hate to say i told you so...

Actaully this a a rare example of somethign im *not* dissapointed with, although i kinda missed the pools of slime

The fac thatr theres no liquids at ALL isnt a good sign though, like i said b4 this limits possibilities for mod-makers and mappers

However, water, if done right can be VERY scary, esp with this games lighting