Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
apoptygma13

new tweak boosts doom 3 fps!

Wanna rev-up your Doom 3 experience. Here's how to up your frame rate.

Find "Doom3\base\DoomConfig.cfg"

Open it with notepad

Find Seta Image_CacheMegs

Change it's number value to 96 or 128 or 256.

I recommend 256.

This little bit of info has been known about for over a week now. :) kthxbye

do you know if its video memmory ram memmory or virtual memmory? I dont want want to set it higher than my ram or video mem if that is what it refers to in that line.

we'll i don't think it has to do with video memory, i have 128mg and set it to 256. i think it pertains to more towards the paging file. allowing more images to be readily available.

as far as this info being out for a week. I just learned about it today and thought I'd share to those who didn't know either. Hell the games's been out for a week...

Thanks, too bad this stuff isnt ready available in game. Is there a set max fps line in there? Nevermind Ill go check it out thanks again.

image_useCache [0,1] - If set to 1, uses background loading to cache image information. This may not necessarily improve framerate performance, but it does assist in smoothing out frame rates and reducing loading pauses. Note that the image_cacheMinK (see below) size must be raised from its default otherwise the game will crash when using this setting. Once this setting is enabled, the actual cache value is set in the image_cacheMegs setting below.

image_cacheMegs [Megabytes] - Determines the maximum amount of system memory to allocate to temporary loading of full-sized precompressed images if the cache is enabled by setting image_useCache to 1. Note that since this caching only applies to precompressed images, using the Ultra Quality setting will render this setting useless, since at Ultra quality no texture compression is used. Since a cache is only a temporary holding area, and not the place where the entire game is meant to reside, do not raise this value to something extremely high as that will simply reduce the available memory for the rest of Doom 3. Try a value of 128MB for those with 512MB of system RAM, and if you have more than 1GB of RAM, you can try a higher value like 196MB or 256MB for example. Do not set this to half your system RAM or some other monstrous amount.

image_cacheMinK [KiloBytes] - This setting determines the minimum size in KB for precompressed image files to be loaded into the cache. To make sure most image files can be loaded, and to also prevent a system crash when enabling caching, select a value like 3072 to start with. Raising this setting may improve caching, but it may also hinder caching if most textures are below the size you specify, so don't just raise this value for the hell of it.

This is from http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html a great guide that I recommend, takes about 45 minutes to read through but still worth it. It's on the front page of DW.

apoptygma13 said:

Hell the games's been out for a week...

Yea the games so damn old, its only a few 10 years newer then the orgional.