Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HybridMutant

ATI or Nvidia

When I bought my system last year I thought I’d give ATI a try. I got a 9600 Pro and I’ve been a bit disappointed. I’ll be going back to Nvidia once the newer cards come out.

ATI is still a great company, but not as flexable as Nvidia.

i bought the ATI 9600XT card, and i regret doing so. while great in windows i am primarily a linux user and their linux driver suck ass. i will be going with Nvidia next time around, unless ATI offers better support for linux.

also Nvidia happens to lean more towards openGL, ATI to direct3d. ID software uses OpenGL, so doom3 will preform better on Nvidia. however the difference is minamal on higher end cards. i dont think most people would notice a difference between X800 and 6800.

on a personal note doom III still runs and looks great on my 9600XT, and i get the free HL2 game with it

if all your gonna play is doom3 buy the Nvidia Geforce 5900fx. the 9600xt performs closer the the 5700ultra in this game.

if your gonna play HL2 (ATi midrange cards are gonna stomp Nvidia in this game) or other future game get the the 9600xt. i have one and it plays on high detail doom3 fine. i get 43.5FPS in time demo at 8x6 all option on but AA and Vsync.

obviously your looking at cards under $200.

I've switched about between ATi and NVidia cards in the past and noticed one thing. ATi's cards seem to focus on performance and good framerate without effecting the looks of the game, while NVidia seems to increase the overall graphics and looks of a game, without touching the FPS of the game (I'm talking about the counterpart for each company). It's all pretty much what you want. I use NVidia GeForce FX 5200 w/ 128 MB, and I can run Doom 3 on High with an average of 25 FPS, which isn't that bad. But on medium or low, it still looks sweet and runs at an average of 40 FPS.

I had a Radeon X800 Pro until last week, which I swapped it out for a GeForce 6800 Ultra. The X800 gave me all kinds of problems with the games I played, and they were known issues (some of which were fine in older driver patches, but got fux0red up when they released newer drivers).

I will say that I can't put my finger on it, but it feels like DooM 3 looked better graphically with my X800 than with my GeForce. But I can't prove it. I dunno. It still looks great and it could just be my memory of what the game looks like is better than it really was.

Jomero said:

I had a Radeon X800 Pro until last week, which I swapped it out for a GeForce 6800 Ultra. The X800 gave me all kinds of problems with the games I played, and they were known issues (some of which were fine in older driver patches, but got fux0red up when they released newer drivers).

I will say that I can't put my finger on it, but it feels like DooM 3 looked better graphically with my X800 than with my GeForce. But I can't prove it. I dunno. It still looks great and it could just be my memory of what the game looks like is better than it really was.

Have you check your driver orientation?

The game plays best when drivers control of AA, is set to aplication controled. Set AS to something high with that card, its usually all in the driver tweaking.