Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 3 General > Problem installing ROE: Unhandled exception

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:37. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Strategist

First of all, the ROE autorun fails to initialize. When I manually start the setup program, it at first seems to load up fine, presenting a language selection screen. After selecting a language, the setup program initializes...

...then I receive the following error:

Unhandled Exception

Error Number: 0x80040702
Description: Failed to load DLL: cdkey
Setup will now terminate.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Strategist

Old Post 01-21-06 12:48 #
Strategist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mordeth
Administrator

Looks like a problem with your CD-key. Maybe you've been mucking around with your Doom3 copy? In that case, re-install Doom2 then install ROE on top of that.

Old Post 01-21-06 14:48 #
Mordeth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Strategist

Both my D3 and ROE copies are fully legit, if that is what you mean.

Old Post 01-21-06 17:15 #
Strategist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mordeth
Administrator

I mean, if you've installed other add-ons it might have been mucking around with your Doom3 cdkey stuff. To make sure, re-install a fresh copy.

Old Post 01-22-06 12:11 #
Mordeth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

The problem is likely one of the following:

1. Bad CD. Try installing it on a friend's machine to see if it works. If not, have it replaced.

2. Problems with the windows registry or InstallSheild itself. Unfortunately I dont have a solution for this. You could try various registry "repair" programs available online but I cant guarantee that they'll work. It may be something as simple as reinstalling both doom3 and then roe, or it may be as bad as reverting windows to a previous restore point or even formatting the system.

You might want to email activision's tech support about this one. They may know of a workaround. For example, other programs that experience this error during installation can sometimes circumvent it by copying the offending DLL (cdkey.dll, in you situation) into windows/system32. I have no idea if that would work in this case. And it would still just be a workaround that doesnt address the underlying problem.

Last edited by Amaster on 01-23-06 at 07:58

Old Post 01-22-06 18:03 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

I think I had a problem similar to this one before. Amaster suggested that I nuke the whole Doom3 folder (save your saved games though, if you wish) and then reinstall both games right in a row. It worked great for me.

Old Post 01-22-06 20:34 #
Job is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote