Demon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 3 General > John Romero's Thoughts

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dima

Yesterday, I decided to send John Romero an email.

I asked him the following question:

Hey John!

I have a question to ask you:

What do you think of the new doom game id is developing??

Have you had the chance to see it in action?

If you did, what did you think of the engine?

Is it revolutionary?

THX

Today, when I checked my email, I recieved the following answer:

The new DOOM looks amazing and the 3D engine is definitely revolutionary in its use of shadows…. No other game looks like it.

John Romero

Old Post 06-25-01 10:01 #
Dima is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tetzlaff

Hmm...why not asking him about some more details? ;)

Old Post 06-25-01 10:10 #
Tetzlaff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dima

I don't think he knows any...
I am not even sure he seen the engine in action...
I think he made his judgement based on the movie...
That doesn't matter though, he expressed himself about the game and that's the important thing :)

Also, even if he did see the engine in action, I am positive he is not allowed to talk about it (they have this paper there and everyone who visits them signs on it).

Old Post 06-25-01 10:18 #
Dima is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Dude, don't post his exact emails here, that's a good enough reason for him to stop replying to these inquiries if he ever sees this stuff.

Old Post 06-25-01 15:49 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dima

Dude, was there anything revealing here or something?

What were you expecting me to post here?

Old Post 06-25-01 16:09 #
Tetzlaff

Also, even if he did see the engine in action, I am positive he is not allowed to talk about it (they have this paper there and everyone who visits them signs on it).

Grrr... They shouldn´t make such a huge secret about everything. Ok, with technical details it´s of course an issue, but what stops them from telling small things like "the chainsaw will be back" or "there will be a completely new HUD system" or something like that.
I read some months ago in a German gaming magazin in an article about Doom3, that there will be "the wellknown double barrelled shotgun, the railgun and of course the BFG 9000" I think those guys just picked up rumours from somewhere, but maybe...?

hehe, sorry for all you railgun haters ;)

Old Post 06-25-01 20:57 #
Tetzlaff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

The truth is that those little details are often secured (or not) almost at the end of the design. The design document starts with the concept of the game, not with minor details like "And the coffee cups should emit some smoke".

Old Post 06-25-01 22:07 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tetzlaff

The small ideas are there through the whole developpment time, but they often get changed again and again. But that´s what makes it interesting :)

Old Post 06-26-01 07:25 #
Davidoom

Meh, im gonna go this site now...

Old Post 07-03-01 11:46 #
Davidoom is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Huh?
You revive the thread for that?

Old Post 07-03-01 12:09 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote