Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Why is the player immune?

I was wondering how the player's apparent immunity to being zombified works in the DOOM3 story, since you're there when the transporter goes to shit and opens the portal to hell. Sure it has to be that way in order for there to be a game, but there's always that logical part of my mind going "yeah, but..."

I know, but the player is right there. The guy watching the monitors gets zombified, but not the player. Just curious how the story works.

I've always thought he was just "lucky" a lost soul didn't fly in to him like that scientist just before all hell breaks lose.

There's a handful of people who haven't been zombified. I dun remember who exactly, but I know the guy near the beginning of the game up the ladder, the guy who had the light, the guy who you could choose to kill via (pressure?) machine or let him live, the chick before she turned into a lost soul, amongst others. Why some people were not affected is beyond me though. Maybe their minds weren't weakened enough by the strange occurrences?

PRIMEVAL said:

There's a handful of people who haven't been zombified. I dun remember who exactly, but I know the guy near the beginning of the game up the ladder, the guy who had the light, the guy who you could choose to kill via (pressure?) machine or let him live, the chick before she turned into a lost soul, amongst others. Why some people were not affected is beyond me though. Maybe their minds weren't weakened enough by the strange occurrences?

Yeah the mind thing could be something, I mean Jack Campbell and Councilor Swann weren't effected either. not even the corpses. atleast not Swann's

My theory is simple: there are only three people in the entire facility that are just freshly arrived, and that have not spent their last few months (at least) being subjects to nightmares, suspicion, paranoia and a growing psychosis. When you talk to the people before the shit hit the fan, or when you read the logs they left, you see how everybody has heard voices, or heard about other people who did, or they have seen strange things, noticed weird stenches, there are all these "volunteers" who disappeared and the stories that are told about that, etc.

Basically, their minds have been weakened by the growing psychosis, as well as probably some dark magic from Betruger, to make them succumb faster to the attack. Some resist for a time, but eventually they're all killed or possessed. The ones who are badass enough to fend off zombies (the marines) were among the most affected by the "conditioning" going on since they were the ones who provided the pool of "volunteers".

Campbell, Swann and the Doomguy arrive with their full wits about them and resist a lot better. Eventually, Campbell and Swann succumb to their wounds acquired in combat, but they don't get possessed. The Doomguy remains the sole survivor of the entire facility.

It's simple really. Some people have DNA that makes them inherently good, and others, well, they have DNA that makes them bad. And when they get infected, the bad ones become the demons, and the good ones get superhuman abilities.

the_lurker said:

It's simple really. Some people have DNA that makes them inherently good, and others, well, they have DNA that makes them bad. And when they get infected, the bad ones become the demons, and the good ones get superhuman abilities.

I see what you did there =)

the_lurker said:

That's the POS scenario from the Doom movie. While Doom3 had many flaws and weaknesses, at least it wasn't using the lame-ass Doom movie scenario. No pseudoscience DNA bullshit about people being "inherently good" or bad, just demons from Hell that you have to blast away with a shotgun. A solid, no-nonsense story. :p

Gez said:

Campbell, Swann and the Doomguy arrive with their full wits about them and resist a lot better. Eventually, Campbell and Swann succumb to their wounds acquired in combat, but they don't get possessed. The Doomguy remains the sole survivor of the entire facility.

That doesn't explain why some of the regular scientists survive the possession, and presumably make it by the end of the game.

He might be thinking of Elizabeth McNeil, but she survived because she was off-world at the time, probably still in transit back to Earth.

Whether she survives RoE is a similar topic of hot debate, due to its ridiculously ambiguous ending.

In any case, this is why I like Doom 3 and I don't find it too different from Doom 2: all NPCs are useless, you don't have to take care of them, you don't have to depend on them. I hope Doom 4 keeps the same formula, even if it purportedly intends to have more NPCs.

Quasar said:

He might be thinking of Elizabeth McNeil, but she survived because she was off-world at the time, probably still in transit back to Earth.

Whether she survives RoE is a similar topic of hot debate, due to its ridiculously ambiguous ending.

The only known survivor of Doom 3 was the player, seen being evacuated after the reinforcements arrive and discover the ruined Mars base. he was probably in psychiatry for some time as a result... it was a different marine in RoE.

Gez said:

That's the POS scenario from the Doom movie. While Doom3 had many flaws and weaknesses, at least it wasn't using the lame-ass Doom movie scenario. No pseudoscience DNA bullshit about people being "inherently good" or bad, just demons from Hell that you have to blast away with a shotgun. A solid, no-nonsense story. :p

That was something about another chromosome or something, right? Something that apes possess. I dunno, they dun look like demons or super humans to me.

diosoth said:

The only known survivor of Doom 3 was the player, seen being evacuated after the reinforcements arrive and discover the ruined Mars base. he was probably in psychiatry for some time as a result... it was a different marine in RoE.

Yes and that's why I was talking about Elizabeth McNeil escaping the first invasion via not being there for it. I fail to see how who the marine is in RoE is relevant, and yes I know he is a different one. I have played both, repeatedly.

PRIMEVAL said:

That was something about another chromosome or something, right?

Downs syndrome

In 1959, Jérôme Lejeune discovered that Down syndrome resulted from an extra chromosome.

Maybe it's a different chromosome. :p

Coopersville said:

The Soul Cube choose Doom3guy to rescue it.

Going further than that, maybe the Doom 3 marine is a distant descendant of the "ancient hero" who held back the demons long enough for the ancients to escape Mars and flee to Earth, and thus it's fate that he be the one to face them :P

I still want to know what that weird sword blade lookin' thing in RoE was, that made you experience a weird vision if you approached it. Was it one of the hero's weapons, or was it an artifact from hell, or just a piece of junk they found on the ground? What did it do?

audiodef said:

Quasar - blank wiki!

That's because the Vbb code automatically included the comma within the link. Try without the trailing comma.

printz said:

That's because the Vbb code automatically included the comma within the link. Try without the trailing comma.

Fix0red

Ahcruna said:

Yeah the mind thing could be something, I mean Jack Campbell and Councilor Swann weren't effected either. not even the corpses. atleast not Swann's

Others you survived were the Bravo Team, the Specialtist guy on the radio, the maintence worker named Roland in level three.

We're overlooking the obvious.

If Doom Marine turned into a zombie at the beginning of the game, that would make it the shortest game in history, because then you would be evil and dead, and unable to complete the game's objective of "saving the day".

Well if they did that, I'm sure they would let you rampage through the base a bit killing all the survivors for fun and blood profit.

Or a better story is... Eh, I'm to lazy to write it out. But maybe you know what I was thinking.

Who's to say the player is immune? It could be possible that everyone gets infected, but that mental constitution determines how long a person can hold out before they go insane. I mean sure, we see the Doom guy getting evac'd at the end of the game, but who knows? Maybe in transit to Earth, or back on Earth, he finally breaks down and becomes a zombie himself.

I'm pretty sure the opening for Doom 4 was left in those biological specimen capsules that were scheduled for loading onto the Darkstar before it returned to earth.

I'm sure when it reaches Earth, some demons come crashing out of them and open a portal to Hell.