Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 3 General > Purchasing Doom3.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
neubejiita
Forum Regular

Hello /Doom 3 General/ I have just played the Linux demo of Doom3 and it is quite scary to say the least, I am just wondering where in Australia I could buy this game. Would EB be able to get this in or should I purchase from ID?

I am in NSW regional. Not Sydney.

Old Post 05-02-10 14:50 #
neubejiita is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Your best shot is probally purchasing from Id.

Old Post 05-02-10 21:24 #
Clonehunter is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

id doesn't seem to carry this game on their online store anymore (I suspect it's because they've stopped shipping actual boxes... although I'm not sure why that would prevent giving out a direct Doom 3 download). Doom 3 is available via Steam, which will itself run under Wine (although you should set steam.exe via winecfg with the OS version as Windows 7)... you'll need to run Doom 3 at least once so that doomkey shows up in the base directory that you can then copy to ~/.doom3/base (or use "regedit" and look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve/Steam/cdkeys, and the full key also displays there, and without needing to actually run Doom 3 first under Steam).

If that doesn't sound like a viable option, or with EB Games... you can always try Amazon or eBay I suppose. With those you run the possibility of the key not being good for online play anymore, but there's never really any more than 5 people online at any given time anyway (yeah that's right, Odamex is more popular than Doom 3 multiplayer).

Old Post 05-04-10 15:00 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Can you escape Steam if you're using Doom 3?

Old Post 05-04-10 17:04 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

Yes, in a manner. The *pk4 files (most importantly, pak00{0,1,2,3,4}.pk4) aren't any different than the retail version, once you have those you can install the non-Steam version of the engine separately, the Windows 1.3.1 "patch" will install just fine even if it doesn't detect an existing installation, as well as the Linux version too.

Old Post 05-04-10 18:16 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Wait, so the Steam version is different than the normal version of the game? ZHow?

Old Post 05-04-10 23:00 #
Clonehunter is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

It's not, really. doom3.exe that comes with that copy depends on the Steam DRM to be running, although like I said, it can easily be replaced with the regular 1.3.1 binary. It's the same game though.

Oh actually, with Steam you can actually choose all the localizations of Doom 3 to have a translated version if you want.

Old Post 05-05-10 07:33 #
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Oh okay. As for localization, is that like a better 'thing'?

Old Post 05-08-10 18:46 #
chungy

Not really, it just means if you want the Spanish or French or German or whatever version of Doom 3, you can switch it in Steam :p

Old Post 05-09-10 07:07 #