Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dark-tenshi

Kreed Tech Demo

Ain't downloadin' it. I don't have a GF3 and don't plan to upgrade my comp before I have an almost bulletproof idea of "Doom 3's" requirements and not until a very short time before Doom's released, so that I can get the best possible system to play it on.

The damn thing won't even start downloading for me, and even if I could get it to work on this GeForce 2 MX it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble anyway.

Update-it's likely to be that this tech demo is leaked.and the download link has been pulled off now.(the developer said that it still contains various bugs and is only optimized for GF3).by the way the guy at DailyDesaster was be able to grab it and has reviewed the tech demo here

Hm, I can't really say that I'm particularly surprised about what the tech demo is like.
Stuff like weak weapon effects is pretty much backed up by the last Kreed video dima posted a link to, which did show the MG fire.

I expect Doom to have awesome weapon effects.

I played it. It lags kinda bad on my system - Athlon 1.2, 256 MB DDR, GF3. And the enemies don't respond to damage. After hacking the hell out of one with the knife for a long, long time it finally fell over. Also, sometimes I'll suddenly fall through the floor and plummet through space, then fall back through the roof and land where I was. Of course the graphics are impressive, but when I shot a grenade from the gun, it created a cloud of smoke around the monster and it made the monster look terrible. I might be hearing things, but I swear the firing of the gun sounds like the Q3 shotgun.

Wasn't it kinda hard to kill the monsters with just a knife without takin' any damage?
Or are these monsters like the "bull" demon in Doom?

The demo is screwed up. Sometimes I'd take damage very rapidly while being hit, while other times it'd take several seconds of the monster swinging at me before it'd register a hit, which are in 20 hit point amounts, btw.

What do you think of the implementation of the dynamic lights/pixel & vertex shaders? Any good, does it contribute to the atmosphere? Can you comment on this?

Yeah, the lighting does a decent job of contributing to the atmosphere. There's a few places where there's something like a rotating fan with the shadow being casted realistically, but they didn't seem so fantastic(and probably because I've been spoiled by the Doom lighting). All-in-all, the pixel/vertex shaders and the dynamic lighting serve their purpose.

what about the physics and rigid body?if you kill the enemy and it died right to the wall.will its body just disapper in that wall?or its body will lie realistically on that wall?

I didn't notice anything like that. I was lucky to even kill one of the things before I was killed. Although the one that I did manage to kill just disappeared.

No death animation? Just *pop* and then gone?

Unreal2 Is the first game to eliminate that half of part of the body dissapears in a wall. So if i shoot a Marine and he falls on the wall the body wont go threw it.

Unreal 2 certainly isn't the first game with accurate collision detection and physics. Hitman, for example (though I havent' played it myself... I'll have to trust Zaldron on this as usual).

We don't really have any specifics on Doom 3's phycics engine, but let's keep our fingers crossed.