Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 3 General > Doom 3: BFG edition FoV makes the PC version unplayable

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

Since I already have Doom 3 STEAM I got a discount on the BFG version, and since I am not short on cash I figured I could as well buy tbe PC version as well (I already bought the PS3 version via Amazon, but it isn't here yet).

However, after having started the game I was utterly shocked by how horrible the FoV (field of view) is now compared to the original Doom 3. It's horrible to a point of barely being playable. I feel like I am staring at only a small narrow area of the game world that would normally be visible if I were playing the original Doom 3.

And no, there is no option to change it in the options.

What the fuck Id? I know that this release has consoles in mind but there really is no excuse to not give PC players the option to change the FoV.

Unless the option to change FoV is added I see no reason whatsoever for why anyone should even consider playing the PC version of the BFG version instead of the original PC release.

Thoughts?

Old Post 10-20-12 19:07 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

Here is the command which will enable you to change the FOV. set g_fov xx

Old Post 10-20-12 19:11 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mogul

^ console is locked by default. You apparently can't complete achievements if you enable the console. Not a big deal for some.

Old Post 10-21-12 02:36 #
Mogul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

I was able to fix it. It appears that you can use the command that changes the fov (and also enable the console if you so desire) by changing the launch parameters.

Old Post 10-21-12 02:53 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

The FOV ain't that bad. You can change it back without disabling acheivements anyway. Changing the FOV isn't considered a cheat by the game.

EDIT: Two years later, I don't hold this opinion anymore. The FOV sucked hard. But the way they handled Doom 2 was even worse.

Last edited by Sodaholic on 04-21-14 at 04:00

Old Post 10-21-12 03:36 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote