Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 3 General > Quetion, how to get to the doom 3 files

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:40. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TheHeroFromDOOM

Hay guys, a few years ago I was here and I asked for a program that would unzop the DOOM3 game so I could see the barkground skys, wall, doors, texters, sounds, game moddles, ext. Someone gave me a programe that unzipped it in one shot and I was able to get to all the sounds and images and what not. Can someone please tell what program can do this for me so I can go dl it. Thank alot guys!

-TheHeroFromDOOM

Old Post 11-19-12 01:34 #
TheHeroFromDOOM is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Caffeine Freak
black and shiny

7-zip should work fine for that. http://www.7-zip.org/

Old Post 11-19-12 06:14 #
Caffeine Freak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheHeroFromDOOM

Thank you for replying Caffeine Freak, Im still having trouble I can leason to the sound and wad like I was able to, or see the images. I think I might be doing something wrong. Last time the program unzipped every little file and, tons and tons of file came out automaticly. Not doing the it, what should I do? Thank you.

Old Post 11-22-12 03:05 #
TheHeroFromDOOM is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

Just extract them all to a folder if that's what you wish; Doom 3's *.pk4 files are just Zip files so pretty much any program that can handle Zip will be able to extract them.

Old Post 11-22-12 10:09 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

No need to extract everything, just use 7zip/WinZip/WinRar/whatever to navigate to the archived folders and files you want to extract, and extract to a specified folder.

Last edited by DoomUK on 11-22-12 at 11:10

Old Post 11-22-12 10:59 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheHeroFromDOOM

Still not having any luck, I forgot to say It DOOM 3 BFG on steam. Not the CD. Sorry Im a newb at this, just trying to get the sound to go threw them all and pic wat ones I what to leason to on winamp. And Im trying to get to the hell door to studing it in a art sence. As well as the rest of the art work in the game. If you could write it in newb steps on what to do Id be very greatful. Happy thanks giving guys and thanks for you help.

Old Post 11-23-12 03:23 #
Caffeine Freak
black and shiny

TheHeroFromDOOM said:
Still not having any luck, I forgot to say It DOOM 3 BFG on steam. Not the CD. Sorry Im a newb at this, just trying to get the sound to go threw them all and pic wat ones I what to leason to on winamp. And Im trying to get to the hell door to studing it in a art sence. As well as the rest of the art work in the game. If you could write it in newb steps on what to do Id be very greatful. Happy thanks giving guys and thanks for you help.

Ooohh, that's a different matter altogether, because the BFG edition is archived differently than the original. At this point, I'm not sure there's any legal way to open up the BFG files. You may have to wait until the release of the source code, followed (hopefully) by the release of mod tools, either by id or the community.

But if you want to study textures and sounds, the original game has most of the assets that the BFG edition has. Download/install 7-zip, right-click on one of the pk4 archives, and go to '7-zip->Open Archive'. And if you're thinking of the hell door texture I think you're thinking of, that would be 'textures/hell/a_helldoor_d03d'. Just open up the pak004.pk4 archive to get to it.

Old Post 11-23-12 05:50 #
Caffeine Freak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

Anybody ever going to reverse engineer .resources? :P

Old Post 11-23-12 12:13 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

You could just wait until someone over at the Xentax forums makes an archive extractor for the .resource files, someone there already has made one for Wolfenstein 2009's mpk/spk files.

Old Post 11-23-12 15:20 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheHeroFromDOOM

Thank you Caffeine Freak I found how to do it! Thank you for your help, now all I gotta do it file the files.

Old Post 11-24-12 01:17 #