Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubh

The Big Question: Release Date?

Everybody has their own idea and is guessing at the greatly anticipated DoomsDay. I say that everybody viewing this has a good think about how long has passed since the release of Quake 3 and the beginning of development of DOOM3. All the posts, the snippets of footage we have been allowed see, the .plan files, the interviews, the promise of a test version and so on.....
A good serious objective think about all of this.
I propose everybody posts their own honest opinion on when:
a) The Doom3 test release
b) The full Doom3 release date

Just an idea folks, if this has been done already, you have my sincerest apologies for the repost.
And if everybody posted an actual date and a descriptive reason why they think it will be this date, I think it would make for a good read.

Just an idea folks! Again, shoot me down if this has already been done.

Dubh

First quarter 2003 - DOOM 3 release, 2002 around christmas - DOOM 3 test release

History will repeat itself, and they will release their product just after Unreal 2:p

Doom test: 2009
Doomsday: 2010
:-P
Seriously, I'd suggest Doom test release sometime halfway through 2003 and Doomsday between end of 2003 to spring 2004.
id has a tendency to release their games around Christmas so the full game might be released December 2003 like Flathead said.
Worst case scenario: Doomsday in December 2004.

The test release should not be SIX MONTHS away like it was for quake 3. that was embarrassing.

test: BEFORE december 2002
release: when its done, but that shouldnt be as far back as late 2003

havent they been working on this game for 2 and a half years? sincefeburary 2000, would be... hay it really hasnt been that long! hmmm...

If Doom 3 comes out before I get my Bachelor's degree, I'll be happy. Hell, I'll accept it as a graduation gift, even. That'll either be summer '04 or summer '05.

why does everybody want a test released so far ahead of the actual game? that would make the wait 10x as excruciating

Um, I know I'm repeating myself but what about that Hollenshed interview? I mean what does he mean by more information before too long? What information? Will it be another clip, technical review, .plan update? These things aren't the type of things you would tell people to expect very soon, they just come out. Hollenshed must be talking about some announcement of relative importance. If this is true, could there be a test release date released, or, maybe the announcement/new news will be to calm peoples nerves by telling them NOT to expect something 'till 2003. Remember id has a slightly bigger and more skilled team this time around. I would like to believe that the test will be released this year (I would like to believe the test will be released this-afternoon) but I cannot make my decision yet. Need more time to think this one out.

Xian said:

test: BEFORE december 2002
release: when its done, but that shouldnt be as far back as late 2003

havent they been working on this game for 2 and a half years? sincefeburary 2000, would be... hay it really hasnt been that long! hmmm...

Aren't you being a bit optimistic here?
Dude, they're working on the most complicated game engine to date - it's a lot more complex than the Q3A engine and that thing took about three years to complete.

I agree about "time distance" between test release and full release - the test should be released a short while before Doomsday, so the waiting doesn't get too painful.

In fact Q3A didn 't take 3 years to complete. To my knowledge it took about 2 years.

As for the doom 3 engine, I think the engine is more or less finished as we speak. The only thing that still needs to be done is tweaking the engine and finishing up the actual design of the game.

Zaldron said:

I think there are only 8 of those in the US. 3 on id Software.

If I was carmack I'd be bling blinging my pc, iced out screen, platinum frames around it, and 3,000 watt sub under it.

FlatHead said:

"I hold in my hands the box with the release date for DoomTest."

IMG tags are so cool.

Seen that screenshot quiet a while ago... the first thing that striked me about it was definetly the monitor! lol :)

Dima said:

Seen that screenshot quiet a while ago...

Christ, Dima, now you're losing track of the line between games and reality. That's a photograph. It was taken with a digital camera and depicts John Carmack, an actual person, in his office. It is NOT a screenshot :)

FlatHead said:

Christ, Dima, now you're losing track of the line between games and reality. That's a photograph. It was taken with a digital camera and depicts John Carmack, an actual person, in his office. It is NOT a screenshot :)

Damn, I thought that guy in the pic looked like a really awesome zombie!

yup, NEXTGEN had it's named changed way before I started going on here, way before I got the net, way before I got another pc, it was like 4 years ago!

Hmmmmm, hopefully for his sake that pic was taken when he was unpacking the first Wolf3d diskette box set :D

badnews said:

As for the doom 3 engine, I think the engine is more or less finished as we speak. The only thing that still needs to be done is tweaking the engine and finishing up the actual design of the game.

WHAT? Get real.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

WHAT? Get real.

I would tend to agree that the engine is pretty much done by now, except for bug stomping and tweaks. The content developers really need the game engine to be running quite well as they get into the long stretch of actually making the game. Remember, the game engine is not the game. The game is content, i.e. artwork, music, scripts, etc.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

WHAT? Get real.

Let me explain.

Remember the macworld demo that came out 1+ year ago, that demo showed off the doom 3 engine after 6-8 months of work. You could see that the basic code(rendering,etc ) was already in place.

One year later we could assume that they have rewritten the other parts of the Q3A engine and added what needed to added to the engine.

However they still need to crush some bugs and tweak the engine to run smoothly on most systems.

dsm said:

Aren't you being a bit optimistic here?
Dude, they're working on the most complicated game engine to date - it's a lot more complex than the Q3A engine and that thing took about three years to complete.

I agree about "time distance" between test release and full release - the test should be released a short while before Doomsday, so the waiting doesn't get too painful.

No, your wronmg. the transition from the doom engine to the quake engine took only 3 years and that was a MUCH bigger jump.

also consider that even if im wrong, they had a REAL working engine at the macworld expo!

chances are theyre almost ready for test release right now

badnews said:

Let me explain.

Remember the macworld demo that came out 1+ year ago, that demo showed off the doom 3 engine after 6-8 months of work. You could see that the basic code(rendering,etc ) was already in place.

One year later we could assume that they have rewritten the other parts of the Q3A engine and added what needed to added to the engine.

However they still need to crush some bugs and tweak the engine to run smoothly on most systems.

excactly

orion said:

yup, NEXTGEN had it's named changed way before I started going on here, way before I got the net, way before I got another pc, it was like 4 years ago!

In the computers' world that's terribly old.

I have a feeling the engine is already built. Come on for god's sake, how long more do you think there is to wait. The game development testing/debugging time is always longer than the engine coding even though the engine will be tweaked and maybe parts recoded during the 'game development' stages. But the basic engine core,rasterizer,lighting/shading model blah blah HAS to be in place!
2 Years have passed god dammit! Do we have to wait for another 3 for the design? So unlikely it's bs. I really think we don't have too much longer to wait.

Remember that the Q3 engine is a rehashed Q2 engine, and the Q2 engine was built from the ground up. I ***seriously*** doubt that Carmack would continue using an engine that has it's roots two games ago.

The Doom 3 engine is more likely than not built from the ground up.

Up to eight texture layers and volumetric lighting, and advanced bumpmapping could be added to the Q3 engine, but it would need to be seriously reoptimized, something which would probably take just as long as building a completely new one from scratch and making it 10x more efficient.

I don't know about you, but I DO NOT want Doom 3 to feel like Q3, as games such as RTCW sometimes feel.

Sigh, again.

The engine is 100% new. Instead of starting from scratch, they mantained compatibility with Q3A's subsystems, so the engine worked from the very beginning of the project. As time goes by, each Q3A subsystem is ditched and replaced for Doom's. We know the rendering code is there, but what about the Sound code for example?

What we saw in the QuakeCon footage was probably using Q3A's sound system. IF there was sound, of course :)