Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Sell me on DOOM 3 BFG

So it looks like Doom 3 BFG has had a price drop to $20 on Steam and PSN. And while I'm extremely tempted to buy the game I know it will go on sale so my cheap ass can buy 2 games instead of 1. Its so tempting....

I still play Doom 3 once a year for X-Box or PC and its about that time again. I'm getting the itch.

Push me over the fence. What makes this game better than the originals? The graphics? The extra levels? The flashlight?

How badly do you want more official Doom content?

The hell maps in the lost episode are pretty cool, and No Rest for the Living is actually a pretty good map set.

That said, you'd buying what amounts to doom 3 again with slightly grainier textures and without the ability to add mods (yet).

geo said:

So it looks like Doom 3 BFG has had a price drop to $20 on Steam and PSN. And while I'm extremely tempted to buy the game I know it will go on sale so my cheap ass can buy 2 games instead of 1. Its so tempting....

I still play Doom 3 once a year for X-Box or PC and its about that time again. I'm getting the itch.

Push me over the fence. What makes this game better than the originals? The graphics? The extra levels? The flashlight?

Subtle adjustments in gameplay like increased responsiveness and slightly increased running speed offer a better experience. All new levels except the last 2 are pretty meh. They do have a lot more monsters though. The worst part of it is easily the bloated ammo count which fucks up the balance of the game.

Oh yeah, it also has No Rest for The Living.

Those subtle changes such as the running speed can be done via commands in the command console, it's pretty pointless to care about them.

Honestly, if you already own Doom 3 and RoE, $20 is still a little steep for what you're getting - and not getting - in the BFG Edition.

It's such a mixed bag. The game is simultaneously prettier and uglier. The game is slightly more fun to play, thanks to various tweaks and differences, yet worse to play thanks to all the extra ammo making everything even easier than it already was. The Lost Mission is a collection of very forgettable, but very beautiful levels.

NRFTL is a great Doom 2 episode, but if you're buying BFG just for that, I'm not sure it's worth the $20 (sorry, everyone). And you can forget about mods. If anyone was able, or seriously interested in getting mods to work with BFG, there would have been some progress by now. Don't believe me? Head over to Doom3World, the last bastion of 'serious' Doom 3 discussion on the internet, and talk to them about it.

Buy it if you simply have to own every official Doom release.

One should throw the nostalgia aside and realize this version ain't worth it.

DoomUK said:

Honestly, if you already own Doom 3 and RoE, $20 is still a little steep for what you're getting - and not getting - in the BFG Edition.

It's such a mixed bag. The game is simultaneously prettier and uglier. The game is slightly more fun to play, thanks to various tweaks and differences, yet worse to play thanks to all the extra ammo making everything even easier than it already was. The Lost Mission is a collection of very forgettable, but very beautiful levels.

If you are referring only to the last 2 levels, then yes, they ARE beautiful (and very classic-like).But how are the rest levels memorable except for a few secret areas? They are just more techbases.

DooM_RO said:

But how are the rest levels memorable except for a few secret areas? They are just more techbases.

I think we've discussed this previously.

It's something you either appreciate or you don't. In all fairness, it's probably not worth buying BFG just to see more detailed versions of the environments we already saw in Doom 3. But I thought they were cool, and it's always worth mentioning as an additional note.

So I'm thinking the answer is no. Well.... the price can only come down.

I personally think the BFG version is worth it if you are buying it on the consoles since they never had any proper console verison of Doom 3. I personally bought the BFG edition for my PS3 and did not regret it.

But on the PC, there is really nothing to be gained. For PS3 owners the BFG edition is really good, but for PC players there is little to be had that did not already exist.

I consider the BFG Edition of RoE vastly inferior to the original release, because it removed most of the memorable bits - the new arcade games, the intense sewer sequence, and the "green area" battle in Hell. So, if you haven't played RoE yet, do yourself a favor and don't make BFG Edition the first way you play it...

Personally I wish it were possible to get Lost Mission as an expansion for the original game too. That's all I'm personally interested in. I already have everything else the pack comes with and I'm not the least bit interested in the mostly negative changes they made to the stuff I already have.