Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 3 General > DOOM 3 and Half-Life 1...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sergeant_Dornan_51

Is it me, or is the plot of DOOM 3 and Half-Life 1 awfully similar...

Old Post 11-18-13 22:36 #
Sergeant_Dornan_51 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
HK!D
Mini-Member

I see your connection, in both an experiment goes horribly wrong. That is kind of interesting.

Old Post 11-18-13 23:04 #
HK!D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

Half-Life was inspired by Doom and Doom 3 was, as far as I can tell, inspired by Half-Life.

Old Post 11-19-13 04:37 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Piper Maru

What a story Mark.

Old Post 11-19-13 09:03 #
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooM_RO

Sergeant_Dornan_51 said:

Is it me or is the plot of Half Life 1 awfully similar to DOOM?

Old Post 11-19-13 10:16 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Crasger

They used the quake engine for Half-Life.
aaannd....

According to one of the game's designers, Harry Teasley, Doom was a huge influence on most of the team working on Half-Life. According to Teasley, they wanted Half-Life to "scare you like Doom did". Newell felt that "Half-Life in many ways was a reactionary response to the trivialization of the experience of the first person genre."

Old Post 11-19-13 10:52 #
Crasger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Yah, but Half-Life seemed to have more jump scares than a tense buildup like some Doom levels. And the only enemies that were really challenging were, really odd actually, the Human soldiers. Half-Life had some nice scripted moments however.

Old Post 11-19-13 16:54 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sergeant_Dornan_51

Crasger said:

According to one of the game's designers, Harry Teasley, Doom was a huge influence on most of the team working on Half-Life. According to Teasley, they wanted Half-Life to "scare you like Doom did". Newell felt that "Half-Life in many ways was a reactionary response to the trivialization of the experience of the first person genre."

Hmm, that's pretty cool. I gues I'm not too surpised with DOOM being an influence on an FPS game.

Old Post 11-22-13 00:37 #
Sergeant_Dornan_51 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
MFG38

Now that you mention it, I do see the similarities.

Old Post 11-22-13 14:43 #
MFG38 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Sergeant_Dornan_51 said:

Scientists play with Forces Mankind Was Not Meant To Have, unleash disaster: invasion and destruction of the Earth and civilization by [demons/undead/robots/aliens/nanite swarms/hungry slimes/mutated beasts/incurable disease strains/toxic substance].

This plot is used by 7 845 934 757 946 546 different works of fictions. Add an average of 17 every millisecond to the running total.

Old Post 11-22-13 16:25 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
schwerpunk

I can see it as well. HL being a more hard-sf interpretation of a hostile invasion by otherworldly forces.

Old Post 11-22-13 16:41 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

I'm pretty sure in terms of story (such as it is), Doom was inspired by Aliens, and Half-Life was inspired by a Stephen King short story called The Mist.

Old Post 11-24-13 08:36 #
Bucket is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

I remember someone saying Doom was originaly going to features aliens instead of demons and was to be based on Mars rather than Hell.

Old Post 11-24-13 09:23 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote