Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 3 General > Marines' appearance in ROE

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:16. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ferguson
Warming Up

Is it just me, but does the Marine in ROE look like he is suffering from a severe head injury? Especially in the cutscene when he first gets to the scientist with the tablet. Poor guy looks a bit befuddled and cross eyed.

Old Post 01-07-14 05:34 #
ferguson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

ferguson said:
Is it just me, but does the Marine in ROE look like he is suffering from a severe head injury? Especially in the cutscene when he first gets to the scientist with the tablet. Poor guy looks a bit befuddled and cross eyed.

I've heard his expression referred to as "the look of a retarded panda" by somebody who even liked it.

I dunno, I kinda just think Nerve weren't that great at doing facial expressions in id Tech 4. None of the characters do them very well and instead over-compensate with broad body language gestures (check out Elizabeth McNeil waving her arms all over the place for the chief example).

Old Post 01-07-14 07:48 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

We've dubbed him "Crooked eyesight mongoloid marine" on the Phobos team.

Old Post 01-07-14 11:28 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl

Is he the same guy from the main game, he looks like an older version.

Old Post 01-07-14 11:32 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

I thought he looked like a high-functioning retard and I liked it. He's looking at everything like he's vaguely confused rather than afraid. When you think about it, makes a lot of sense for the average mute FPS protagonist shooting everything with little concern for his safety. Also justifies his complete lack of fear against all odds, the handholding from NPCs, and the inability to figure out simple solutions to obstacles blocking his path, locked doors and so on (not sure this happens all that much in Doom, but I'm talking other games).

Certainly beats "dude mentally scarred by the horrors of war in which his best pal died proceeds to brutally murder about four hundreds grunts to get to big bad guy, which he then doesn't kill because it happens in a cutscene and it's all about doing the humane thing and shit".

Old Post 01-07-14 11:55 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doominator2
Forum Regular

Avoozl said:

It's actually a different marine, which I do believe is around the same time as the events of Doom 3 unless im mistaking

Old Post 01-07-14 12:48 #
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Two years after the base was trashed for the first time, different guy.

Old Post 01-07-14 12:56 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
marver0PS
Green Marine

http://i.imgur.com/5l1Nakg.jpg
seems reasonable

Old Post 01-07-14 14:05 #
marver0PS is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl

Edit: Oh, turns out I was wrong, what she actually said was "I know this isn't the first time that we've faced this but I need more information", I don't know how I remembered it differently.

I seem to remember McNeil implying that you've done this before with the whole hell thing or something, I may have to replay it just to confirm what she actually says.

Last edited by Avoozl on 01-07-14 at 14:53

Old Post 01-07-14 14:38 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ferguson
Warming Up

Shaviro said:
We've dubbed him "Crooked eyesight mongoloid marine" on the Phobos team.

I shot coffee out my nose when I read this. I am a bad person.
That thing with McNeil waving her arms, I always figured she was suffocating in that shrink wrapped uniform.

Old Post 01-08-14 18:20 #
ferguson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomhuntress
Forum Regular

Avoozl said:

RoE's intro states there is only one survivor after what happened in the events of Doom 3. perhaps he was happy not to come back again to Mars and let some other nameless marine take care of everything instead. :p

Old Post 01-10-14 12:50 #
Doomhuntress is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

marver0PS said:
seems reasonable [/B]

There needs to be a meme of this.

Old Post 01-10-14 16:47 #
DooM_RO is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Piper Maru

ferguson said:

I think his appearance is based on most Doom fans.

Old Post 01-13-14 06:09 #
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Don't judge others by yourself!

Old Post 01-13-14 09:32 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Piper Maru

Da Werecat said:
Don't judge others by yourself!

DOOOOOOOOM!!!

Old Post 01-13-14 19:27 #
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote