Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dima

Doom III Officially Announced

FlatHead said:

I'm sure id will make a bunch of stuff public at E3. Enough to make me real damn jealous at Linguica, that's for sure.

I wont be jealous at Ling, because I'll be able to enjoy the final release more than him since I wasn't spoiled with all this in-your-face footage, so NYAH!
:-P

tsareppsun's post

Tell you what? I hope they just show some environment and perhaps a full view of the marine just standing in a posture (kinda like the spinning Doomguy model in the Macworld video - just full view so that I can get to drool over his combat pants and overall look)
Revealing weapons will spoil too much imo.
And no...sounds - id can surprise us with awesome sound effects when they RELEASE the game.

And about music: That was uncalled for! You hurt my feelings you bastard ;-)
Naw, why the fuck would you mix weird ambient sounds together to a music score when you can insert moody, ambient sounds as environmental sounds instead? Having no music with lots of ambient environmental sounds is to be preferred to some wacky ambient mishmash music imo - but I prefer to at least have some music that's worth listening to APART from building atmosphere and lots and lots of moody sound effects (dripping water, beebing computers, humming machinery, weird echoes, distant animal-like sounds, etc.).

Music shouldn't overtake the whole friggin' role of building atmosphere - there are sounds too. No, the point of music is to reach a comprimise between building atmosphere and making good listening music. Doom64 may have been awesome for atmosphere but it's BOOORING to listen to. That's the kind of music I would listen to if I can't sleep - it's great to bore oneself asleep with.

Quotes from the article

Todd Hollenshead said
DOOM III will change what people expect to see and experience in a PC game.We couldn't be more psyched about DOOM III, and are thrilled to debut the title at E3 with Activision. Get ready to be terrified

Larry Goldberg said
I'm sure that id fans and action gamers alike share our anticipation for the latest incarnation of DOOM, which is one of the most important franchises in PC gaming history. There is no doubt that DOOM III will be at the top of every gamer's most wanted list

The article said
DOOM III is currently in development for the PC by id Software and will debut at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Activision's booth #1224 in the South Hall.

Thanks a million to whoever answered my questions.

I've heard there were some remade DOOM maps for one the Quakes; can someone point me to them?

To dsm:

What does "imo" stands for?

I don't recall ever writing ambient sounds mixing with the music score. I do remember stating something like what you wrote about "inserting moody,ambient sounds as environmental sounds" alone. And the actual music score can come into play during "Situational Sequences" When something big is about to go down. Or when you get "ambushed" or whatever, Like in TOMB RAIDER,SYPHON FILTER and SERIOUS SAM. I stated this sometime ways back,responding to somebody's post,don't remember whom though.

And why the fuss(;-)) about my opionion on the music? You make it seem "YOU" did the classic score for DooM.

As for "Music" and "Atmosphere"? I thought I'd kept those issues seperate.

imo=in my opinion
imho=in my humble opinion etc..

btw i love DOOM3 as sequel,i really want to see what id will do with story.

dsm and tsareppsun rants

Taken from VooDooExtreme's user comments. Now I can't say who's this guy, how does he knows or stuff. I'm just following the simple logic of "the comment kinda came out of nowhere and as a lie it's not good at all".

#19 by bytor33 at 08:53 AM PST on 05/04/2002
I have some interesting Doom III news. Trent Reznor's studio in New Orleans is currently playing the latest build and working on the music soundtrack for it. Good news that the game is coming along nicely. They're using dual 2 Ghz, Geforce 4 systems to run it :)

tsareppsun said:

And why the fuss(;-)) about my opionion on the music? You make it seem "YOU" did the classic score for DooM.

As for "Music" and "Atmosphere"? I thought I'd kept those issues seperate.

I was kinda joking incase you didn't know.
So, Trent Reznor IS doing the music?
Hm, now's the question's just how will that music be like. If he's begun composing music now, then it's at least some good news (unless they release Doom 3 by July) - people say he only spent a weekend doing the Quake1 music, so chances are that the music will seem like he put a bit of work into it.
Btw, I feel sorry for Lüt now (and I'll feel sorry for myself when Doom 3 comes out if the music turns out to be as shitty and boring as Quake1's).

Hey, is it possible that id will show Doom 3 on the E3 in the same way as they did on the GeForce 3 presentation. I mean they can show just a movie (of gameplay or whatever, longer or shorter...) - but they wont show test versions, so it wont be ability to "teste" the new Doom. Well, i have grave doubts guys. What ya think?

id's going to be present at both Activision's booth and #411, the theater. I'm guessing they'll show just some pics/info to the public, while Willits will be presenting the real deal for developers and other important members of the community behind closed doors.

Lament said:

Argh, Trent Reznor... That means doomIII is gonna suck after all.

Correction: That means it MIGHT suck to half of the community - I'm sure a lot of people are cheering these news.......tasteless fuckers (j/k about the last two words).

Pff. How about listening it first before complaining? I mean bash it all you want but at least have the decency of waiting for more conclusive material.

Ling! take me with you to E3!! I'll do anything, oh shit I'm going deaf.

This is great news. Thats all I have to say. Roll on E3.

Zaldron said:

Pff. How about listening it first before complaining? I mean bash it all you want but at least have the decency of waiting for more conclusive material.

That means it MIGHT suck to half of the community - I'm sure a lot of people are cheering these news.......tasteless fuckers (j/k about the last two words).

I'm not bashing it yet damn you, I'm saying that it is a POSSIBILITY that it could turn out sucky. Get it?

Exactly what is the specific date of E3, I just realized now I don't know it, and I need something to anticipate.

orion said:

Exactly what is the specific date of E3, I just realized now I don't know it, and I need something to anticipate.

As far as I know May 21st....

Who cares about the music? I for one want to play it for the game, not the music.

Also, I'll request again, does anyone know where I can get those remade DOOM maps for Q1/Q2, whichever game it was?

NIN make chilling, atmospheric music - spot on for Doom III.
A lot of people said baaaaad things bout the Quake II music too - and that was an excellent score by Rob Zombie...

Weedster said:

Also, I'll request again, does anyone know where I can get those remade DOOM maps for Q1/Q2, whichever game it was?

If the thought of using a goddamn search engine would ever occur to you, you'd probably find these :

Glad to help.

Spike said:

A lot of people said baaaaad things bout the Quake II music too - and that was an excellent score by Rob Zombie...

Yep, both Rob Zombie and Trent Reznor can go suck my dick.

Not a big fan of industrial metal, then?

Spike said:

*a-HEM* Quake 2's music was done by Sonic Mayhem that's why it rocks.
Quake 1's music on the other hand was just some ambient sounds throwtogether and it was done by NIN - I just hope that Reznor does something vastly different for Doom 3.

On the E3 site they give Id the "First Look" sticker.

"So when you see the First Looks logo, take note -- you'll know this exhibitor plans on debuting one or more products at their E3 booth."

Now I don't know how to interpret "debuting" in the line above but I guess it is absoloutly more than "behind closed doors". But the game had it debute allready at Tokio 2001.

Is there any chance the game wil be launched? Can anybody help me with explaining the word "debuting"

Thanx

Zoost said:

Now I don't know how to interpret "debuting" in the line above but I guess it is absoloutly more than "behind closed doors". But the game had it debute allready at Tokio 2001.

Is there any chance the game wil be launched? Can anybody help me with explaining the word "debuting"

Thanx

The game didn't really make its debut at MacWorld, the engine did. Carmack didn't mention the name DOOM anywhere, he just called it "our next game".

Now, the realy "official" launch of Doom III will be at E3. They're most likely going to release some screenshots and perhaps some video footage, and give information on the story and setting of the game. Give it two more weeks and we'll know some of the things we've been speculating about in these forums for almost two years.

PC Gaming History Book:

1993-1994: Doom & DoomII are the most remarkable landmarks in 3D computer gaming.

2003: Doom 3, the incarnation of the legendary sequal - Doom, will make history once again.

Summary: All 3D computer games are belong to Doom !

orion said:

doom 2 wasn't anything spectacular.

For Doom 2 to have been anything remotely spectacular it should have had:
1. Improved graphics (same basic engine, but improved sprites).
2. options between different resolutions.
3. Improved sounds/more sounds (other than the sounds of the new enemies and the db shotgun).
4. New gameplay features.
5. More believable maps.

dsm said:

For Doom 2 to have been anything remotely spectacular it should have had:
1. Improved graphics (same basic engine, but improved sprites).
2. options between different resolutions.
3. Improved sounds/more sounds (other than the sounds of the new enemies and the db shotgun).
4. New gameplay features.
5. More believable maps.

Zdoom playing AV should have been Doom2.

Back in the heyday of shareware, they didn't make a new engine for every sequel. They took one engine and one basic game premise and turned it into a handful of episodes (one shareware, the rest registerware) and one bigger, totally commercial 'sequel.' If you read the Doom Bible, you'll see that this was basically the thing they were shooting for.