Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 3 General > Can you believe that Doom 3 is over 10 years old?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

It's amazing if you think about it. 11 years passed between the original Doom and Doom 3, and not it appears that the same amount of time will pass between Doom 3 and the new Doom and perhaps even more.

I feel old :(

I also think it is very impressive how well the graphics hold up in spite of the game's age.

Old Post 04-21-14 16:31 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
doomgargoyle
Banned

The models look kinda crappy these days, but with sikkmod doom3 looks better.

Old Post 04-21-14 17:52 #
doomgargoyle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

doomgargoyle said:

The human models never looked good to beginn with, but almost everything else still looks very good.

Old Post 04-21-14 21:19 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
RUSH

Ahh so many great Doom 3 memories....

Me and my friends were always stunned by the insane amount of detail id put into the environment. The thick, heavy shadows still look unique to this day. Quite honestly, Doom 3 had one the best atmospheres of any game I've ever played. The original PC version with headphones on and the lights out created a tense, psychological horror experience that still stands strong 10 years later - much like FEAR.

Old Post 04-21-14 22:07 #
RUSH is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doominator2
Forum Regular

doomgargoyle said:

The textures were even worse with their blurriness, good thing I have perfected Doom 3 mod.

Old Post 04-21-14 23:46 #
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
RUSH

Perfected Doom 3/Sikkmod + Headphones + Dark Room = The real Doom 3 experience.

Old Post 04-21-14 23:49 #
RUSH is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

I agree about Doom 3 having had a great atmosphere. I hope Id won't completely throw out the scary atmosphere of Doom 3 in the new Doom, even if it is going to be faster paced like the old Doom's.

Old Post 04-25-14 00:09 #
Doomhuntress
Forum Regular

i replayed Doom 3 some days ago and couldn't get past the introduction level cuz it was boring me out. game hasn't aged all that well, it seems.

Old Post 04-25-14 17:22 #
Doomhuntress is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Megamur

I could never really get into Sikkmod. It used the "shiny = better" approach to visuals, resulting in the entire game world looking like it had a layer of cooking oil sprayed all over it. Bloom also doesn't look realistic unless it's applied to, say, gleaming chrome outside at noon. Applying it to anything bright--even DoomGuy's hands--just made it seem like DoomGuy had just woken up and his eyes were still blurry. And the HDR effects weren't especially noticeable since most of Doom 3 is so dark.

But yes, Doom 3 was perhaps the last game with truly revolutionary visuals, and the lighting effects, though limited in certain respects, were quite good at what they did.

Old Post 04-26-14 01:33 #
Megamur is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GoatLord
I really should think before I post.

I also agree that the graphics mods resulted in some awkwardness that is supposedly an upgrade, but is really just unnecessary, with a few legit enhancements thrown in. The high res textures were more professionally crafted however, when compared to HD Doom/Doom 2. Doom 3 still looks pretty good, angular models aside and blurriness aside. It's held up extraordinarily well compared to a lot of other games from a decade ago.

Old Post 05-01-14 05:29 #
GoatLord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Netherstorm

I still love replaying Doom 3 from time to time, of course though the game does look dated compared to games today (game models looking kind of 'plastic' in a way). I still love when you travel to Hell for a part of the game, can't get enough of it.

Old Post 05-01-14 06:38 #
Netherstorm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
RUSH

Netherstorm said:
I still love replaying Doom 3 from time to time, of course though the game does look dated compared to games today (game models looking kind of 'plastic' in a way). I still love when you travel to Hell for a part of the game, can't get enough of it.

Too bad Hell made up such a small percentage of the game though (unlike Doom 1+2 where 1/3 of all levels were in Hell.)

Old Post 05-02-14 21:05 #
Netherstorm

RUSH said:

Too bad Hell made up such a small percentage of the game though

Yeah, what a shame. :/

Old Post 05-02-14 23:29 #
Netherstorm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote