Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EsH

Any point for developers to make engines anymore?

I thought they were using particles for the fire in DOOM 3? OK maybe not entirely then...

About this engine thing-we're really only on the proverbial tip of the iceberg. I've seen the Doom3 movie and while it has the most advanced (and pretty) graphics I've ever seen, it's still not looking quite like reality.
Just wait a few years-new engines will come out that will eclipse Doom3's. Just think Quake 2's engine outdoing Quake's, for instance. Just when you thought "Hey, nothing could possibly look better than this", boom, out of the dark comes something even powerful. Get me?

Burzum said:

@Zaldron
Im sure radiosity wont be shown up in a game in the next 20 years.
You have to fake details in a realtime-environment because the cpu power today (and in the next few years) wont be able to render a scene via radiosity. You cant speedup radiosityrendering with a better graphiccard, all the calculations are done by the cpu.

We'll eventually have dedicated hardware for these kind of calculations, I'm sure of that. That's a solution that probably will arrive a lot sooner than CPUs with so much power that it's possible to process this in software. I have a warezed copy of Mental Ray, and damn, the time it takes to render even the most stupid scenes is discouraging.