Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crix

Astronomers: "Doom is real!"

Hehe, check out this pic from a space.com article. I don't believe any of the "face on Mars" stuff, but there is recent picture of Mars in this article and the formation inside the large crater looks so much like a skull. Check it out! Doom is real!

space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_rocks_020530.html

It's the picture at the top of the article. Plus, you can scroll down to get a bigger version although it looks more impressive in the smaller pic.

I don't see any crater that looks like a skull, but I see a crater that looks like a monkey head :-)

Heh. I guess, more acurately, it's the shape that's inside the crater. Yeah, but monkey and human skulls are pretty similar. :)

Plus it could be one of Id's, as-of-yet undisclosed monkey demons!! hah

Anyways, Mars is a very cool setting for Doom3 :)

Wasn´t there a horror movie ca. 1 year ago, set on Mars? Does anybody know if it was good?

The only Mars movie I´ve seen is the one where Schwarzenegger visited a colony of mutants on Mars...

There was "Mission to Mars" and "Red Planet." The first was pretty bogus but had some really cool/tense scenes in orbit.

Red Planet was a sci-fi/action movie and was pretty fun but not much hard science.

Tetzlaff said:

The only Mars movie I´ve seen is the one where Schwarzenegger visited a colony of mutants on Mars...

That movie was pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
And monkey heads look similar to skulls in many ways, yes, but a monkey has nostrils, a skull just has a "nose-shaped" hole - this crater has "nostrils", hence my assumption.

Hey, Total Recall was cool. If you want a ridiculous movie involving Mars you need to watch Mission to Mars. Utterly, utterly, utterly terrible.

Hmmm. The weird shapes on Mars... The abductions by small 'aliens' with big heads and tinny voices... John Carmack's interest in building rockets... It all makes sense !

Linguica said:

Hey, Total Recall was cool. If you want a ridiculous movie involving Mars you need to watch Mission to Mars. Utterly, utterly, utterly terrible.

Exactly. I watched Mission to Mars and Red Planet on the same night (bored to death, video rental place nearby, so y'know) and to me, Red Planet seemed like the coolest science fiction movie ever made. Though in retrospect, it was probably because Mission to Mars is so horrible. The factual errors alone are annoying as hell.

Linguica said:

What I found particular was that people apparently could survive "ages" outside the Martian city and when they finally died, they just suffocated - unless there's more atmosphere on Mars than I know of, they wouldn't of survived two seconds out there plus, they'd blow up from the inside.

It was a cool, basic sci-fi action movie, but it totally lacks any realism it seems.

Tetzlaff said:

OK, so I will watch Red Planet next time :)

Hmm. Since I love Mars, i better watch that movie too.

Hmmm, talking bout the movies...
Hey the Total Recall as all movies made by Verhouven(is this right?) was kinda rough, violent and little bit silly. Due to this: yes-i like violence, no-i dont like the stupid story bout superhero rescuing the civies...

I liked Starship Troops much more. Hei its like the continue for the Beverly Hills 90andsomethingelse serie, heh. There young, good and beauty earthlings lived fullfilled-by-love-crap-and-other-pinky-stupid-life and then its like reallife, struggling-for-existance-killing-messing life, heh...

Hmm, Event Horizon was exellent movie talking about Hell atmosphere...

Hmm, and Alien 3, for alien settning...

*hey im weird today...

FlatHead said:

Hmmm. The weird shapes on Mars... The abductions by small 'aliens' with big heads and tinny voices... John Carmack's interest in building rockets... It all makes sense !

You frighten me.

dsm said:

What I found particular was that people apparently could survive "ages" outside the Martian city and when they finally died, they just suffocated - unless there's more atmosphere on Mars than I know of, they wouldn't of survived two seconds out there plus, they'd blow up from the inside.

Not forgetting the sub-zero temperatures would of turned him into a Schwarzenegger-Popsicle.

If you like Mars, go play Red Faction.
IMO, aliens was the best of the movies.
Oh, I actually liked Total Recall and Mission to Mars.

Linguica said:

holy shit, "mission to mars" was a fucking waste! they tried to put too many big name actors in a movie that had such a bad plot and shouldnt have been put into production in the first place! ugh.

But hey, hopefully i'll see the doom gameplay movie today!

darknation said:

Not forgetting the sub-zero temperatures would of turned him into a Schwarzenegger-Popsicle.

Not really. The average temperature on Mars is something like 230°K, in which a human can survive for at least a couple of hours if just wearing clothes. Near the equator (where you'd most likely build a city), the temperature is quite a bit over 0 (C) during summer.

The low atmospheric pressure would be the actual cause of death.

Fredrik said:

Not really. The average temperature on Mars is something like 230°K, in which a human can survive for at least a couple of hours if just wearing clothes.

Uh, this is -43 degrees C. You would a hell of a lot of clothes to survive for a few hours.

Just pointing that out.

I remember watching Total Recall like back in 1990 or thereabouts, when I was a wee tot :) I remember it giving me nightmares for some reason....I was six or seven at the time!

I always thought that getting shot out from a warm dome into -43C would kill you from shock alone, not to mention the mess the freezing martian air would make of your lungs.

Admit it though... the special effects for the eyeballs swelling up and popping out were really cool.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Uh, this is -43 degrees C. You would a hell of a lot of clothes to survive for a few hours.

Just pointing that out.

I'm from Sweden. The temperature goes down to -35 here in the winters :)

Fredrik said:

I'm from Sweden. The temperature goes down to -35 here in the winters :)

That's nothing compared to what it can go down to on the North Pole :-)

dsm said:

That's nothing compared to what it can go down to on the North Pole :-)

Or the South Pole. Or north Sibiria :P

Crix said:

Hehe, check out this pic from a space.com article. I don't believe any of the "face on Mars" stuff, but there is recent picture of Mars in this article and the formation inside the large crater looks so much like a skull. Check it out! Doom is real!

space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_rocks_020530.html

It's the picture at the top of the article. Plus, you can scroll down to get a bigger version although it looks more impressive in the smaller pic.

And I suppose this proves that there is a real gateway to Hell? That doesn't look anything like a head. The face with the shadows even looked better.

GS-1719 said:

And I suppose this proves that there is a real gateway to Hell? That doesn't look anything like a head. The face with the shadows even looked better.

Dumbass, I wasn't serious.

Concerning all the temperature/atmosphere stuff on Mars. Chances are you'd encounter temperatures colder than -43C, colder than temperatures found at the north pole, and colder than anything found on this planet. Only in the hottest of summer days at the equator on Mars does it get above 0 Celcius. Mars has CO2 snow! And channels cut through the surface by liquid CO2 flows! Remember liquid Nitrogen from Terminator 2? Well liquid Carbon Dioxide is only a little bit warmer.

The atmosphere is pretty minimal but you wouldn't explode and you wouldn't explode in a vacuum either. We may have 15 lbs/in^2 exerted everywhere on our body, on Earth, but the internal pressure from our organs really isn't very much. Our guts definately aren't waiting to burst out of us with the removal of an external pressure.

I'm a bit of a Mars addict I must admit. Read Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson! It's a great book. We'll most likely see a manned mission to Mars within the next 30 years and most definately in our lifetime. It could possibly be within the next 20 because of the discovery of huge quantities of water trapped in the regolith.

Hmm... I wonder if DooM could actually use some of this real science to help along their story. Wait... demon's pouring out of a hell gate, haha, no, there's not much science behind this one. :-)

I think that if id took a leaf outta the 'Event Horizon' book, they could soup up the atmosphere for Doom III - after all, that film essentially dealt with demons from hell and a posessed spaceship... not to mention that, first time round, it scared the shit outta me.

I still flinch slightly when Sam Neill slices open the medic on the operating table :)

Spike said:

I think that if id took a leaf outta the 'Event Horizon' book, they could soup up the atmosphere for Doom III - after all, that film essentially dealt with demons from hell and a posessed spaceship... not to mention that, first time round, it scared the shit outta me.

I still flinch slightly when Sam Neill slices open the medic on the operating table :)

Event Horizon was brilliant. Doom III should take inspiration from this superb film.