Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeremy

IDeas IDeas.. please read

I remember way back when, I was one of the first few to talk about Doom3, like when we never even knew id planned it, and people were saying "I hope id makes DooM2000". I remember saying "I hope they make a third Doom called Doom3: Infernal skies" That was way back when you could acually count how many people posted here, with all the fingers on your hand.

When we first heard there was going to be a third Doom installation, we all imagined some QuakeIII graphiced game, and worried that it would be totally un-doomish. But now after seeing all these DoomIII videos.. it makes me feel much happier, especially this new vid, the disgusting pain-filled face that opens up, and you see the flaming skulls come out and turn the marines and scientists into zombies.. that gave me the old Doom feeling. The only dissapointment I feel for DoomIII is by what I know, we wont be going to hell.. but I guess thats ok, becuase my favorite episode was Knee Deep.

Its still sort of dissapointing though, becuase some of my favorite levels where in the second and third epsiode. It would be very awsome to see re-hashes of e1-e3 levels, but modified in the since of what the level designers actually had in mind, and not what the Doom1 engine was capable of. Imagine the old Doom, with the Doom3 engine and monsters.. new more tons of textures to approriatly fit the levels, bumpy surfaces, cracks, hills.. just so much more that could be added that wasnt possible in the old Doom.

IMJack also made a good idea point, was the "Doom wad to Doom3 level" idea. If there could be an editor made that Doom1/II was goes in, Doom3 level comes out, and from there you work on the map to make it more modern. This would be somthing like RiceBugs episodes for QuakeII, they were the same old levels, but modernized with some QuakeII textures, some old Doom textures, and implants that were origianlly possible with the old Doom engine.

I hope id keep the old spheres too, the sould spheres were one of the sweetest looking pickups ive ever seen in a game. I also like the red sphere from Skull-Tag. Skull Tag and Halls Pro were my favorite mods for Doom.

You WILL be going to hell in the new game.

When they say the the the whole game will be played out on Mars it is to rule out you travelling to Phobos, Deimos or the Earth.

I guess the scriptwriters were against anything going on on Phobos and Deimos because it would be unrealistic. And i guess they will like to keep Earth in reserve.

This post has been edited!

Jeremy said:
The only dissapointment I feel for DoomIII is by what I know, we wont be going to hell.. but I guess thats ok, becuase my favorite episode was Knee Deep.

Huh? No Hell in Doom 3? Where'd you hear that?
id has already officially stated that there will be a sidetrip to Hell, so what you're saying here is, well, odd.

I hope id keep the old spheres too, the sould spheres were one of the sweetest looking pickups ive ever seen in a game. I also like the red sphere from Skull-Tag. Skull Tag and Halls Pro were my favorite mods for Doom.

Don't count on it - these spheres never really made much sense and would seem totally out of place in Doom 3 with its superior graphics and all, sorry.
No, I think we'll be seeing some more realistic powerups this time around.

Deimos...that sounds like a very cool name for a planet :) Refresh my memory, Deimos and Phobos were the planets with the gates that could travel back and forth and Mars was just a station for the marines and such, correct?

This post has also been edited!

Alientank said:

Deimos...that sounds like a very cool name for a planet :) Refresh my memory, Deimos and Phobos were the planets with the gates that could travel back and forth and Mars was just a station for the marines and such, correct?

Deimos and Phobos are moons, Mars' two moons. Rtm, or more specifically, read the Doom 1 backstory - then you'll be able to see for yourself.

dsm said:

What are YOU smoking?
id has already officially stated that there will be a sidetrip to Hell, so what you're saying here is complete and utter bollocks.
[...]
Rtfm, or more specifically, read the fucking Doom 1 backstory.

Well hello Mr. five year old. Do you HAVE to be negative and use profanity in every single goddamn reply ?

Dissent among the ranks?

Anyway, my 12y/o brother knows that Phobos and Deimos are the two tiny hunks of rock that pass as the moons of Mars.

And i would have been bloody disappointed if id HAD ruled out Hell-based levels.

i think that when talking about the new doom and old doom story line, people forget that this story is being written by some proffesional guy and not john romero. a lot of the old doom image like e2 & e3 might not make it in the new one, unless of course we see a glimpse of it in this "side trip to hell" id hass talked about. also, seeing as that id has already said it will be a 32 level game (i read that somewhere i dont remeber where though, correct me if i'm wrong), i think we won't see episodes but just one continuous game like Doom ii, plutonia, and tnt.

Little Faith said:

I guess the scriptwriters were against anything going on on Phobos and Deimos because it would be unrealistic. And i guess they will like to keep Earth in reserve.

i don't think we will see earth in this game. we will only see earth in a remake of doom ii. and imho, we won't see a doom ii remake any time soon, by that i mean probaly never :(

Well, it wouldn´t be totally out of place to have some *magical* powerup spheres later in the hell levels of Doom3. But for the UAC Mars base levels they should stick to something techy to fit the setting. So you could for example have powerups like night vision goggles, infrared, and drugs in the UAC levels, and the more fantastic stuff in the hell levels.

Well, considering that I'm not exactly a Doom or astronomy freak, yet that even I know that Deimos and Phobos are moons, plus the "sidetrip to Hell" has been confirmed in many interviews, I have to concur with dsm's comments.

Anyway, I just hope that ID do a good job of creating a decent Hell...I want it to seriously mess with our minds, sort of like the Silent Hill games.

Heh, I can imagine right now what E1 and E2 would look like using Doom3's new engine. One would be your standard human-built installation. The other would still be a standard human-built installation, only it would be tainted with the demons' visions of reality, mutated beyond repair. Hell with the Doom3 engine-man, it makes me scared to just to think about it.

Zaldron said:

Drag-queen fisticuffs image

Oh man, that's the funniest thing i've seen since Robin Williams talking about PMS.

No catfight, just pointing out to dsm that everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Whatever. I'll talk it out on Messenger or something.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dsm said:
What are YOU smoking?
id has already officially stated that there will be a sidetrip to Hell, so what you're saying here is complete and utter bollocks.
[...]
Rtfm, or more specifically, read the fucking Doom 1 backstory.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well hello Mr. five year old. Do you HAVE to be negative and use profanity in every single goddamn reply ?

W...t...f?
Forgive me, my dear colleague, but my comments you quoted are not meant to be insulting, flaming or profane - they're merely expressing surprise.

And I'd like to point out that in my time on the DW forums, both as a guest and as a member (I should never have signed up) I've seen MANY far worse replies (that didn't get post helled/deleted mind you) to less mindboggling posts

If I had wanted to be insult our old friend Jeremy, I'd have been posting crap like "are you stupid or something?" or worse. Damn, I remember the old days before I was a guest, where both Dark Fox and Macvilewhore were killing newbies - very often the newbies just asked an innocent question. Oh yeah, and even some of the more "intelligent" members have thrown unpleasant comments at others.

So bottom line: I'm merely trying to be a part of the forum and do what everyone else is doing (when in Rome, do as the Romans y'know?).

And the comments/images posted above by the admins doesn't contribute to make this thread any better.

Anyway, Jeremy, I can assure you that we'll see Hell in Doom 3 and I believe that these levels will look great (well, I hope so).

I wonder how id will do it this time. The fleshy walls will no doubt reappear, but I wonder if the wooden walls will return too. I hope they focus more on making Hell more "fleshy" than in the older games, but it needs lots of other things to make it look like a place of torment, terror and evil.
Heh, I wonder if that weird "screaming, maniacal faces" (it's grey and has lots of weird looking faces with wide open eyes thrown together - I hope you know what I'm talking about) texture will return in one form or another in Doom 3 (not necessarly as a wall)

Sound will probably play a huge part in the hell levels. Make the player fight through dark, slimy, fleshy passages, stalking monsters trough rivers of blood - and troughout all of that, have voices talking into your head. You have no idea where they are coming from or what power they hold, but can you sense they are pure evil.

Maybe even visions or short flashes in your view of horrible scenes - Earth cities burning, people running, the dark shadow of a demon too great to face.

/me ends cheesy prose and goes back to exams. Dammit.

The trip to Hell had better be more than just a sidetrip. With the potential with the new engine for Hell (architecture etc..) it would be very dissapointing if it was a small trip.

Little Faith said:

And i guess they will like to keep Earth in reserve.

I seriously hope to see some of Earth in Doom III. I loved that atmosphere in Doom II. I think I'm one of the few who liked Doom II better than Doom...

/me hides..

Disorder said:

I seriously hope to see some of Earth in Doom III. I loved that atmosphere in Doom II.

the atmosphere kicked ass in doom ii (like m16), and i do think that we will see amazing atmosphere like that in doom 3, but much much better. the base in doom 3 is supposed to be huge, so we might see flmaing skyscrapers yet. and better even, they would be dynamic, not static. we would actualy see the fire moving, explosions, etc. i hope ;P

one more thing, when do we get to change the forum moderators descriptions for arguing????

here's something that can apply to all of us once in a while...

GS-1719 said:

The trip to Hell had better be more than just a sidestep. With the potential with the new engine for Hell (architecture etc..) it would be very dissapointing if it was a small trip.

I don't think that by "side trip" (not "sidestep") id means a small trip, but just like Doom 1, Hell will only be in one third of the new game - five cool Hell levels would be enough to satisfy my Hell needs.

I seriously hope to see some of Earth in Doom III. I loved that atmosphere in Doom II. I think I'm one of the few who liked Doom II better than Doom...

/me hides..

I really doubt we'll see Earth in Doom 3 (well, maybe with the exception of the ending sequence), as the game is set primarily on Mars and then in Hell, but a mission pack set on Earth would be nice or maybe they'll even do a remake/retelling of Doom 2.

At any rate, even if they do have some Earth levels, I doubt they'll look anything like Doom 2.

Well, I once posted a "Retelling of Doom 2" mod idea, so if you're dissatisfied that Doom 3 wont have Earth cities, hope for someone to make a mod with city levels.

Actually I'm thinking about starting work on a E2M2 conversion with Q3Radiant, in the vain hope that I'll be able to import it into the Doom III Editor. Though that's probably yet another grand project that I'll spend more time thinking about that actually working on. Stupid laziness.

Because it's my favourite Doom 1 level, that's why. Episode 1 was very well-designed but some of the Episode 2 maps are pretty damn good as well, IMO. Big, a good combination of tech and hellish themes, and that big UAC crate maze at the beginning. It's one of the few maps from the original Doom that actually makes sense.

Lord FlatHead said:

Because it's my favourite Doom 1 level, that's why. Episode 1 was very well-designed but some of the Episode 2 maps are pretty damn good as well, IMO. Big, a good combination of tech and hellish themes, and that big UAC crate maze at the beginning. It's one of the few maps from the original Doom that actually makes sense.

It's your fav map too?
/Me hopes that Flathead will be able to pull off his little project.