Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaJuice

What if Quake4 turns out better than Doom3?

Would you guys be pissed? I'm curious, cuz I'm not a die-hard doomer like most ppl here (I hardly play the game).
What if Raven comes up with more imaginative gameplay, a more intriguing story, and better level design?
I think it's possible, but I want your take on it.

i wouldn't be pissed at all. raven has the advantage over id just because they can play doom3 and decide what needs to be done to make it better and use that in q4. so i would still play q4.

As long as there's more single player action going on instead of the dullness that was Quake 3 then it's all the same to me.

Then it makes ID more money than Doom 3.

It may be a better game in terms of gameplay etc., but I doubt it'll come anywhere near Doom III in terms of style and atmosphere.

UAC + Hell vs Stroggos (or wherever)?
Enough said.

If Quake4 will not only focus on single player again and manages to live up to the great multiplayer experience Quake3 brought (but with better CTF and other team game support right from the start now), it will be a winner!

I don't think Q4 will go for a scary atmosphere - Q2 wasn't particularly scary, but had a nice war atmosphere.
Q4 should be all about action and a cool war torn atmosphere.

That said, I think that Q4 will be somewhat different from Doom 3.
But frankly, I don't think we'll be awed much by the tech when Q4 comes out because by then we've got used to Doom 3.

As for the gameplay, I think they're aiming for a different type of gameplay. I get the impression that Doom 3 will be a very interactive game in some areas, and it is possible that Quake 4 will have a lot of interactivity in other areas.

It's a tough one I call.
Already, there is mass of hype around Doom III, winning awards, topping every "reader's most wanted" charts and whatnot...maybe Q4 will get blown up in the hype when it comes to doomsday, excuse the pun.
But yes, Raven will get a better perspective when Doom III is released just like Doom III can get eyes in on Solider Of Fortune 2...

Overall I believe Doom III will be better than Quake, without doubt, the atmosphere will be electrifying.

Cool, I got the impression that most ppl here thought quake was shit (which it was kinda).
But I loved the atmosphere in that game (not quake2 though) and it had some cool looking mosters (fiend and vores for example).
Really looking forward to Q4, almost as much as D3.
I'm getting visions of gothic architecture, crazy purple skies, wall after wall of brown textures (ok, maybe not that so much), and chainsaw-wielding uglies. I really hope the enemies don't look like they did in Q2, they were ALL lame!

DaJuice said:

I really hope the enemies don't look like they did in Q2, they were ALL lame!

Well it's a sequel to Quake2, isn't it?!

Lord FlatHead said:

Hey, the insane marines were cool. I need to go and replay Quake 2...

I like the small monsters of Quake2.

I like the gunners from Q2 - I'm glad that the gladiator has been changed the way it has, 'cause the Q2 one looked like crap
And I hope Q4 wont have any brown shit like in Q1 - Q1 is a decent game but I dislike how everything is brown (yes, yes I know it's due to the technical limits, but that doesn't change how it looks).

I wonder how well they'll be able to pull off the war atmosphere with the Doom 3 engine- hopefully they'll keep the game as interactive as possible.

I'd also like to see more variety in the enemies and weapons as well.

Dark-tenshi said:

i want friendly NPC (who will team up and fight along with) in Q4 too.

That would be nice, as long as they don't get in the way ;)

That's the question, isn't it? I guess we'll have to wait and see. I still think judgments regarding either game would be a little premature at this point, so, like I said, let's just sit back, and wait and see.

i want friendly NPC (who will team up and fight along with) in Q4 too.

you know the id guys were working on implementing a NPC code into the game, but it never got finished in time...what it was intended to do, was to allow all the captured marines you encounter on your quest, to help you after you free them from their cells...too bad it was never finalized...however, there is some q2 mod out there that enables the NPC AI...forgot the name of it though...

I just want a good game with a good engine. I think im the only person on here who like ALL the id games, including quake 3. I wish Raven had choose to remake quake ONE instead of two, the enmgine would have looked better with the lighting system

AFAIK, Raven are making a true sequel to Quake 2, not a remake.

Xian said:

I think im the only person on here who like ALL the id games, including quake 3.

I probably would have liked Quake 3 if UT had never existed. Im really hoping that Q4 will focus mostly on single player.

Livo said:

This would make me very happy. Although a true sequel to Q1 would be even cooler IMO.

Quake1 have the similar story line to DOOM.even worse, it almost have no story line at all.Raven has made the right choice for making sequel of Q2.

It's just that I preferred the original's atmosphere and characters.

That's what I'm saying.

Well, if that's the case, then I'd rather have Raven come up with something new. From that one sketch of the tank dude it looks like they're just remaking Q2.
But you can't make conjectures off just one piece of artwork, so I'm hoping it's more 'gothic structures-freaky hellspwan mutants' than 'industrial complex-crappy cyborgs'.

Quake 2 never had anything gothic in it. What I loved about it (and especially the intro) is that Starship Troopers atmosphere. Huge tanks, dropships, hundreds of marines stranded on a hostile alien planet. And the Big Gun, which you'll have to agree was pretty cool. Too bad Bitterman blew it up in Q2.

I agree, the tech/war atmosphere of Quake 2 made it so good, The Intro was kick-ass as well....Just brings up a thought, considering bitterman almost wrecked stroggos, well I'm not sure where the story will come from, IMO Q4 and D3 will both be good.

Lord FlatHead said:

Quake 2 never had anything gothic in it. What I loved about it (and especially the intro) is that Starship Troopers atmosphere. Huge tanks, dropships, hundreds of marines stranded on a hostile alien planet. And the Big Gun, which you'll have to agree was pretty cool. Too bad Bitterman blew it up in Q2.

Is there a videocapture somewhere of that intro? Cause I don't have Quake II myself, but I really wan't to see it..