Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

one little question about its audio

999cop said:

It was either him or his buddy said that to the scientist guy when he was trying to get passed them.

Doom guys: "watch it"

Scientist: "excuse me.."

Besides, if the zombie guy who holds minigun/chaingun was able to speak in the leaked video: "I smell fear", I don't see why not Doom can speak.

Because he's supposed to be you.

The Doom guy gives out a groan of pain when hit by a zombie and a dry-cry as he gets hit by the Hell Knight.

When he arrives via the lift he also goes "Huh?", then breathes heavily as he nervously looks around then pops his helmet on.

As for the "we want to immerse the player" arguement...it kinda takes away the immersion when you can magically tell NPCs what to do or hear them talk when you don't speak one word. Considering that they're going for a cinematic approach, they could build up a decent character profile of the Doom guy (yes, I know it's supposed to be you) that slowly gets revealed as he progresses. With good dialogue lines and a voice actor, provided that he doesn't speak every 5 seconds, I'd prefer a talking Doom guy.

I mean, with cinematic games, I've really been immersed into the character that I'm playing and into the environment, but I also felt like I was watching a movie. Id should do the same thing IMO.

Livo said:

The Doom guy gives out a groan of pain when hit by a zombie and a dry-cry as he gets hit by the Hell Knight.

When he arrives via the lift he also goes "Huh?", then breathes heavily as he nervously looks around then pops his helmet on.

As for the "we want to immerse the player" arguement...it kinda takes away the immersion when you can magically tell NPCs what to do or hear them talk when you don't speak one word. Considering that they're going for a cinematic approach, they could build up a decent character profile of the Doom guy (yes, I know it's supposed to be you) that slowly gets revealed as he progresses. With good dialogue lines and a voice actor, provided that he doesn't speak every 5 seconds, I'd prefer a talking Doom guy.

I mean, with cinematic games, I've really been immersed into the character that I'm playing and into the environment, but I also felt like I was watching a movie. Id should do the same thing IMO.

It would totally ruin the game to some people if the Doomguy spoke - what if people don't like his voice? I am already slightly disappointed with his pain groans in the leaked video, as he doesn't sound nowhere near as tough as the old Doomguy (that the Doomguy is a badass means EVERYTHING to me).
And who says that the Doomguy is going to "magically" inform NPCs of something? Maybe the NPCs in the game will only quickly give you some info without your character replying before the slaughter continues.

I like to see the Doomguy as a man of few words and as such, I'd prefer to make up my own profile of him - if id makes up a profile of the Doomguy, chances are that I'll be supremely disappointed with it.

Well, when it comes to games where the character doesn't speak, I have a habit of making my own dialogue up, although, sometimes I like characters that can speak, it adds a touch of personality some times, especially if it's "effective" so to speak.

If the Doomguy muttered a couple of words every now and again, like the start of the E3 footage and maybe words like "Yeah" "Sure" "Fine"
"Whatever" also, maybe a couple of swear words when he encounters a big bastard demon, possibly say "ah shit" maybe. No actual dialogue though. I would be fine with that.

Also, the start of the video where the scientist runs into the guard, it's the guard that does most of the talking...all of it actually, but I'm positive that it is "you" who he is talking to (doomguy).