Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Fox

Final Fantasy [Da Movie]

Wow.... Zaldron wanna make a estimated just on how many **** triangles are in the characters hair alone!?!
Doom III's models are rumored to have 30,000.. What if they dumped it up to the weight of those damn models in the movie? The movie was ok.. a tad predictable..

Unless Square used some weird new technique to render hair, the characters' hair didn't use any polygons at all. Hair is generally done by using thousands or millions of small particles in a line to approximate a thin strand. Do this a few hundred thousand times over and you have a head of hair.

As for characters with such complexity in a video game, it'll be decades before computers are able to do that in real time. Even if it was possible, how much good would it do? You watch a movie on a 30-foot screen, with close-ups and long shots and time to notice small details or defects. In a game like Doom, you're too busy killing monsters to notice how perfectly the light is reflecting off their skin.

I know it required a Rendering farm to draw all that shit in real time, but still I read some where they did not use a particle system for the hair. That each strand is a polygon, or object.

As for characters with such complexity in a video game, it'll be decades before computers are able to do that in real time.

Good texturing could make up for that. The characters in that movie were laughably ridiculous, no matter how high their polycount was.

The characters in that movie were laughably ridiculous, no matter how high their polycount was.

How so? I thought they looked pretty damn sharp.

I have made pretty crappy models wheighting 500.000 polys. Of course, these guys are highly efficient when modelling, but I still think the actual human frames have one million triangles each. Let's not speak of the cloth (wich requires a wicked tesselation to work), or the scattered meshes (hair).

Right now AGP ports are way too crappy to handle such bigassed numbers, because you can't forget the textures :)

Hair is generally done by using thousands or millions of small particles in a line to approximate a thin strand.

I ussually use scatter tools to distribute a segmented tetrahedron around a mesh using soft-selection for density patterns. Poly-based haird reacts nicely to dynamics. A particle solution would be nice to see in action, but I don't have one that does it right for now.

maybee thats what they want you to think!!!! maybee its just some bitmap that they drew in ms paint and then blured in psp.
i have done that i have created an affect that looks verry similar to what they have on that movie.
its pretty damn close.

maybee its just some bitmap that they drew in ms paint and then blured in psp.
i have done that i have created an affect that looks verry similar to what they have on that movie.
its pretty damn close.

No, I know how they did that, I'm a modeler myself, so is Zaldron, although I'm nowhere near as good as him or Square Pictures I understand how it works.. and that would require more work than just modeling the hair.

Here is what I read in the official U.S. Playstaion Magazine.

"To create the incredible visuals of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Whithin, Square Pictures built a $40 million state-of-the-art computer graphics studio in Honolulu, Haiwaii. Housing a multitude of SGI Octane computers, the studio has a total of 960 supercharged CPUs rendering the many breathtaking sequences in the movie. And all this processing power is needed: Aki alone features 60,000 hairs on her head, each individually influenced by movment, wind, or light. Even with so much computing power, it can still take up to 20 minutes to render a single frame of animation and 10 minutes to save it."

That should give you all some clues on this subject.

While on the subject, dose anyone think its weird that Aki (the leading female character) made it on the cover of Maxim?

man, I want to know how much time will take my crappy P3 733 to render a frame on that movie....

Housing a multitude of SGI Octane computers, the studio has a total of 960 supercharged CPUs rendering the many breathtaking sequences in the movie.

Bleh, the few minutes of video I have gathered from WarCraft III e3 presentations are by far more moody and beatiful. The whole directing of those sequences is superb. And Diablo 2 expansion's 2 animations are not bad AT ALL!

Housing a multitude of SGI Octane computers, the studio has a total of 960 supercharged CPUs rendering the many breathtaking sequences in the movie.

Bleh, the few minutes of video I have gathered from WarCraft III e3 presentations are by far more moody and beatiful. The whole directing of those sequences is superb. And Diablo 2 expansion's 2 animations are not bad AT ALL!

in fact, the Warcraft3 movies are the BEST I've seen so far....

do you have all the 3 movies ? the latest simply ROCKS

Was that movie any good? I had VERY low expectations and I don't even like the game series that much.

Was that movie any good? I had VERY low expectations and I don't even like the game series that much.

I loved it even though I never liked the game..

That does work for certain games, take a look at Dead or Alive 3, hardly any textures at all, but a fuckload of polys. It does look good, but is it good in a FPS?

Let see, with the actual system, we have fully bumpmaped crackes in the hands of the guys, I think that's a lot better than messing with triangles. Specially because you DO need textures to make the lighting right. The highlights will be scattered by the bumpmaps, giving a realistic illusion of roughness, and no bumpmap will work well without the aid of a real texture.

Non-textured triangles will be hot in the future, when we will be able to calculate them as particles of the world. Materials will be algorythms that draw triangles as big as pixels in certain colors and positions depending on the material "properties".

But we're still WAY off for that one, but we will see it...