Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Interview with Tim Willits & Fred Nilson

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/august02/quakecon2002/id/

• As for multiplayer issue, instead of used to jumping on and off servers, due to the math and the physics and the way the calculations of the underlying code work, that would be the most conducive way of doing it. This will apply to Quake 4 as well.

• id has not signed a deal for an Xbox port, and they do not have a developer -- they are not going to develop it completely internal.

• If you want to make a huge outdoor landscape, it's not an issue, because everything is polygons.

• There will be an automap in Doom 3.

• John had mentioned the railgun during his talk, but it's not definitely in the game at this point.

Automap ? Cool.

Fred Nilsson: It's pretty wild to load up that map and fly out there. You're in the window for the whole cinematic, but if you actually drop a monster down in the city and look down, you'll just see a dot. It takes a long time to fly out there. (laughs)

Nice.

Tim Willits: At E3, we were running at 640x480 at medium quality -- here, we're running 800x600 in high quality.

Then why did PC Gamer UK say they were running at 1280x1024 ? Bastards.

I wonder how they managed to pull off that automap - but it's awesome news.

Maybe a stupid question, but what is automap? A map generator tool?

The automap was a 2D overhead map in Doom that was displayed when pressing a key. It showed the areas of the level you already discovered, and in some levels there were also pickup automaps (most times hidden in a secret room) that unveiled the whole level.

It´s very cool to have this again! :)

I also was amazed about the part Flathead is quoting, where you fly high above a giant Mars landscape!

I want to see the following on the auto-map :

Secrets # / Secrets found #
Monsters in level # / Monsters fragged #
Time you've been in the level

It could also double as a mission objectives thing, but I want two types of automap. One that is small and goes in the corner and adds to the HUD a little and then a bigger one.

it would be cool if you would see a full textured map of every floor of a map instead of all those lines.. because in doom 1 and 2 there arent no rooms on another room.. so you would need a map that has diffrent floor levels. or maby a rotating 3D one

- If you want to make a huge outdoor landscape, it's not an issue, because everything is polygons.

/ME JUMPS IN THE AIR AND SCREAMS YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game is getting better and better with each passing day!

Can't wait! :)

Automap (great news!) doesn't seem like an issue to me, not even in 3D.

I would choose a very simple solution: the map would be in 3D, but always shown from above so still like Doom's. You'd have the ability to zoom in or out. Lines in the background (floor below) would fade out transparent, as would those in the foreground (floor above) so that they don't obstruct your view of the floor level in the medium (viewing floor/focus) depth, which would be brightly drawn.

They could do it like Descent's atuo map where you had full controle of rotation and zoom.

It never mattered what the critics ever said about Doom or Doom2. It does live on because it is the best game ever released, hands down. When ID brings it back with a whole new engine and a "in-game" editor then that should tell you something.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I was sort of expecting them to have maps along the way in the computers you could find scatterd through out the bases. Although an automap is fine, maybe since now the game is just one huge map seperated into smaller pieces you could find computers to upload the map from into your own personal computer thingy. Meh, I'm sure they'll do it the right way.

Instead of finding funky big computer map updaters lying around like in the old game, the computer area map should be something that you could get revealed through downloading it from computers within the base - much, much cooler and interactive imo.
Now, I'd pretty much like to see a screenshot of the automap :-P