Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

How'd you want Doom IV to be

What Doom 4 would need is fast paced, furious action in seemingly hopeless situations that makes you break a sweat, your hands shake and your heart skip a beat. All modern FPS games have way too slow action anyway.

In that case it's a circular argument: if modern FPS by definition must be slow then obviously they are all slow.

Painkiller was released recently, its not a "simple" game by any means, and no, despite the ignorant reviewers and writers it really isn't that much of a throwback to the old school FPS.

Its just a really damn good game, and that alone separates it from practically every other FPS made after 2001.

Painkiller is awesome, its gameplay isn't "slow". The weapon setup is very neat and different, plus its a lot of fun to play.

What i lik e to see in DOOM IV is, That at some point a conversation starts with a demon from hell, that would ask me to join them, and that i can choose between fighting for mankind or take hell's side
and get some hellish weapons to fight my fellow marines and bring hell on earth myself

Don't know if someone said this already, but, Doom 4 should be a lot like the original. Fast paced, hordes of demons at once, and a rocking soundtrack. Pretty much like Painkiller, only with better graphics.

EDIT: Damn, I basically repeated Jodwin's post at the top of this page. Sorry.

Romero seems the most likely

I beleive he made a map for Legacy a few years back (well like 5 or 6 actually). I tried the archive but all i could find was some E1 demos by him

DoomIV should be most importantly much more non-linear than Doom3/Quake4... I'm not speaking of corridors leading to two different places where one way is blocked by something sooner or later, but OPEN areas like Doom2's Downtown or basically any other map from Doom/Doom2!
I'd also like to see more variations in the overall theme of the maps, not just Tech bases and hell!
Oh, and Doom4 needs an Arachnotron or Spiderdemon.

Vader said:
DoomIV should be most importantly much more non-linear than Doom3/Quake4... I'm not speaking of corridors leading to two different places where one way is blocked by something sooner or later, but OPEN areas like Doom2's Downtown or basically any other map from Doom/Doom2!

Actually, this is the first time I've realized a fairly ironic fact: Tom Hall was kicked out of id Software because of his Tei Tenga idea for Doom, because it sacrificed gameplay for realism. Doom 3 did that same thing...

I'd also like to see more variations in the overall theme of the maps, not just Tech bases and hell!

Actually, I kind of disagree here. Even though it didn't have the same kind of variations as the classic ones, it still had a fair number of varying things: The first portion is a techbase theme, later on it has a sort of "sewer" feel to it (where there's green gas all around-- you know, where you first fight the Mancubus?), then techbase again, then it's Hell, techbase, and then those bitchin' canvern levels.

Oh, and Doom4 needs an Arachnotron or Spiderdemon.

True dat.

I would want the same monsters and weapons of Doom 2 and a lot of action in the open air with or without vehicles.

No vehicles, I've only enjoyed a few games with vehicular levels, like Halo and uhhh...that's it, the other games with vehicle maps were annoying. But yeah, Doom 4 needs to be FAR MORE SATANIC, EVIL, DISTURBING, COLUMBINE 2 INSPIRING TYPE SHIT!!!!!!!!!

baronofhell said:

No vehicles, I've only enjoyed a few games with vehicular levels, like Halo and uhhh...that's it, the other games with vehicle maps were annoying. But yeah, Doom 4 needs to be FAR MORE SATANIC, EVIL, DISTURBING, COLUMBINE 2 INSPIRING TYPE SHIT!!!!!!!!!

yeah too bad columbine wasnt inspired by videogames in the first place

Raikoh_Minamoto said:

The first portion is a techbase theme, later on it has a sort of "sewer" feel to it (where there's green gas all around-- you know, where you first fight the Mancubus?), then techbase again, then it's Hell, techbase, and then those bitchin' canvern levels.

And don´t forget the ruins of the ancient Martian civilisation, this was quite an original setting.

The coherent theme and atmosphere was a strong point of Doom3 IMO, and is a good quality of most id Software games. Quake2 for example, one of my favourites: very strong and coherent theme, but excellent leveldesign and variations within the main theme. I hate games like Unreal2 where the level theme changes completely after each level just for the sake of variation.

Wow, older thread, but whatever. Personally, I quite enjoyed Doom 3. While I can understand some complaints about gameplay, I thought the atmosphere was very well done. Hell, the first time around, was incredible. I only wish it was longer. And of course the final fight was kind of lame.

For Doom 4, if there ever was one, I think I'd like some more open action orientated levels, as others have said. Whether the engine can take it, I don't know. But one thing I missed in Doom 3 is the just the general "shoot the crap out of lots of stuff" kinda gameplay in Doom 1 and 2.

As for puzzles, meh. I just bought and played Half Life 1 Anthology, playing the two expansions for the first time. And sometimes, when it came to puzzles I thought "I don't want to have to push this box over here, I just want to shoot stuff". Some critics faulted Doom3 because the gameplay was too much like the original, but personally I didnt really mind that.

So for Doom4, if there is one, maintain the same atmosphere (I don't mean lighting, I just mean the creepy atmosphere) maybe vary the game play a bit more, with some close quarters and some blast 'em all type of stuff. And maybe a few puzzles, but I don't really need another Half Life.

Actually, one thing that ticked me off about Doom 3 is that there was no intro for the Cacodemon. One of the classic badasses, and it doesn't get an introduction. Come on! Though I suppose the character would've run out of oxygen or something.

The last boss would be the icon of sin, he would be on a skyscraper (Because the game will be set on earth)
Bertrugers head fell out of the maladict (I know it burned up) but it would be cool if it appeared within the new icon of sin.
I would allow players to use the 'noclip' cheat to go into the icons head but inside would be disterbing images and this will freak out the player. Bertrugers head would spawn in a random place in the icon of sin each time and when you find him he will say a random disterbing phrase before your player dies.

That's my idea

printz said:

- No-clipping "ghost" monsters
- Evil Computer Monitors

No clipping ghosts are my phobia. Can't remember which PWAD it was but fighting one of those for the first time and NOT being able to kill it was the first time the original Doom actually scared me.
The feeling that something is chasing you and it will get to you if you stop moving for too long is just horrid, that's how to make a killer scary game IMO. Instead of entering into the haunted base and fighting your way to the portal blah de blah, your in the heart of the base WHEN it all happens and your mission is to escape.

Evil computer monitors just remind of the picture of the used toilet roll with "Hah your fucked now!" written on it.

The Doom Guy is in the process of shutting down an exploding reactor before the entire base goes ka-boom. Loading bar reaches like 70% and then just blacks out with red writing saying "Computer says no!!!"

Also quoting another guy above, getting the choice to be good or evil would be very good. Doom guy's hand gets replaced with a tentacle :P

BoldEnglishman said:

Can't remember which PWAD it was but fighting one of those for the first time and NOT being able to kill

No-clipping as in walking through walls and each other, and only that. Like the Ghosts in Diablo 2.

As for this thread I opened myself, I think this is only a wish thread, a fiction thread, because we all know that Doom 4 would be a Doom 3 clone with more functions... Or a MMOFPS. I can't see why wouldn't MMOFPSes appear as Quake or Doom. It's thinkable. Using megatextures. A world-sized deathmatch. With thousands or millions of player on a server. Armies and monsters. That's kinda plausible, because I doubt id would make just another single-player shooter.

Uh, I dont think very many people would have the graphic requirements for that to happen.

I think Doom 4 should be a new take on hell on earth.

Doomguy from Doom3:RoE should be on earth and a fugitive running from the UAC.Rather than set it in a post-invasion setting it should concern the UAC in a cyberpunk setting still messing with teleportation tech and using demon DNA.

I consider it to be totaly differnt from the core concept but 1/4 way through the game having the invasion start would be neat.

Why Doomguy from RoE?He looks like he has an evil side he needs to control.

Doom IV: Daikatana 2
Coming 2015, using the amazing Quake 2 engine!

Frankdude said:

I think Doom 4 should be a new take on hell on earth.

Doomguy from Doom3:RoE should be on earth and a fugitive running from the UAC.Rather than set it in a post-invasion setting it should concern the UAC in a cyberpunk setting still messing with teleportation tech and using demon DNA.

I consider it to be totaly differnt from the core concept but 1/4 way through the game having the invasion start would be neat.

Why Doomguy from RoE?He looks like he has an evil side he needs to control.

I think you need to adopt the Neo avatar.

@yomoneyboat: Quake 2 engine indeed sucks. Much better is Quake 3's, Doom 3's...

@other forumers: note that I'm no modern game pack rat, so don't come up with tons of counterexamples. I should know better but I don't.

printz said:

It's thinkable. Using megatextures. A world-sized deathmatch. With thousands or millions of player on a server. Armies and monsters. That's kinda plausible, because I doubt id would make just another single-player shooter.

Hahah, I was right, except for the third sentence maybe. They're making RAgE.

What's with Neo's avatar?

I don't mean to be crass but I just tried to give a new spin on an old idea.Whatever Doom 4s setting is I will like it.Gameplay makes a game not story(even though story enhances the experince).I like any game id makes.Sure I have my favorites but, I have got used to ids way of making games.And the game,if it be in medevil setting(which I hate)or future I will like it.And when Id made the hexen\heretic series I liked the story.So lets just say id has good taste.

P.S. who wants a 3d commander keen to kill in doom 4!

printz said:

Concentrating on gameplay, why not.

That's so crazy... it just might work.

For Doom 4, I would have to say...

Maybe allow us to fight more than 5 monsters at once? I know its more our computers holding stuff back, but I sure miss being able to take on 100 monsters in a giant outdoor level.